• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

In Defense of DMC2

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Ok so I decided to make this thread just to put something across to all the DMC fans who hate 2. You could have been one of those excited fans of the first game back in 2003 waiting in line for DMC2 and getting disappointed with it or someone who jumped onto the bandwagon for hating it with no reason other than everyone else hated it. DMC2 may have been the worst game in the DMC series but so many people make it seem like the game was broken beyond repair and all around sucks when it honestly doesn't. DMC2 made some overall improvement that either went unnoticed or fell flat. So I'm going to give a list of pro's and con's
Pro's
-Let you select missions
-Gave varied enemies and bosses
-2 different stories to play as
-Was the beginning of styles
-Let you switch weapons
-More room to move around
- Awesome industrial metal
-Cool different Devil triggers
-Some interesting environments
-Some decent unlockables (Costumes and Trish)
-Letting you customize your DT
Okay now here are some Con's
-Areas were to big and were a pain to go through
-Guns were OP to the point where you could kill enemies by lifting them through the air
-Combo's were not as good as 1 which was disappointing to say the least
- Dante was to quiet in here; he looked pretty awesome but didn't really talk and when he did it wasn't very memorable except for a line or two
-The story was just "eh" not bad but when most of the voice actors were bad and everything was just unfinished it didn't go so well
-Pretty easy
-Some bosses were just retared, Infected Chopper and Argosax the Chaos.
-Puzzles felt really out of place.
-Combat could get really repetitive.
The game was rushed to the point where even the original Directer ,Hideki Kamiya, didn't know of it's existence until it was being localized to the US. Graphical limitations held back what could have been awesome looking enemies and environments. The game doesn't deserve the bashing it gets if it was ever remade and given time and thought DMC2 could have been one of the best in the series so now i will leave anyone who has read this with some of the music from 2's ost and some of the concept art :p
http://youtu.be/otTOYqF-4tA
http://youtu.be/e7dhcXdSAKg
devilmaycry2_conceptart_qByre.jpg

devilmaycry2_conceptart_wxcxU.jpg

devilmaycry2_conceptart_g1d2T.jpg

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Some of this is just personal preference for example you saying Dante looked awesome where I thought he looked completely retarded. It was like a black vest that was fused with the coat? The colors didn't even so much as compliment each other but made it stick out in a very gaudy and strange sense of fashion.

Let's rewind the clock.

Here's what a good sequels should do. Leap off of the original to fix things that were wrong with the first and surpass the original (See Silent Hill 2) Devil May Cry 2 is not the the example of a good sequel. Quite frankly it felt boring compared to the first.
-Sure the wall running thing was a decent addition but overall also felt a little clunky and the combat didn't feel as refined. Weapons were ultimately bigger or stronger variations of existing ones. Not really giving the sense of using some weapons more effectively than others like the original did.
-The setting may have gotten considerably bigger but the lack of polish to the overall look and textures is another example of quantity over quality. You're bigger but still not particularly interesting or better.
-Playing as Lucia was sort of the equivalent to playing as well, Dante in the crappy 4 where they were generally lifted and recycled from Dante's missions with honestly very little differences. Another artificial way to extend the game.
-Overall, lackluster.

Devil May Cry 2 isn't unplayable but deserves all the grief it gets for just being a bad game that didn't add up. Perfect example of Capcom though. A company that can strike gold but still have no idea how they did it.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Some of this is just personal preference for example you saying Dante looked awesome where I thought he looked completely retarded. It was like a black vest that was fused with the coat? The colors didn't even so much as compliment each other but made it stick out in a very gaudy and strange sense of fashion.

Let's rewind the clock.

Here's what a good sequels should do. Leap off of the original to fix things that were wrong with the first and surpass the original (See Silent Hill 2) Devil May Cry 2 is not the the example of a good sequel. Quite frankly it felt boring compared to the first.
-Sure the wall running thing was a decent addition but overall also felt a little clunky and the combat didn't feel as refined. Weapons were ultimately bigger or stronger variations of existing ones. Not really giving the sense of using some weapons more effectively than others like the original did.
-The setting may have gotten considerably bigger but the lack of polish to the overall look and textures is another example of quantity over quality. You're bigger but still not particularly interesting or better.
-Playing as Lucia was sort of the equivalent to playing as well, Dante in the crappy 4 where they were generally lifted and recycled from Dante's missions with honestly very little differences. Another artificial way to extend the game.
-Overall, lackluster.

Devil May Cry 2 isn't unplayable but deserves all the grief it gets for just being a bad game that didn't add up. Perfect example of Capcom though. A company that can strike gold but still have no idea how they did it.
I don't know DMC2 Dantes design is probably my least favorite but alot of people seem to like it. DMC2 isnt the worst sequel to ever happen i just think that people are a little to harsh on it I can honestly agree its the worst in the series but its not as bad as alot of people say. I did enjoy parts of it but I think if it was remade and redesigned it would turn out to be a really good game

blivvy

SMOKIN SICK STYLE
I think the cons outweigh the pros tbh. But I never really hated the game, it just wasn't my favourite in the series and it was the least memorable.

I actually do want to pick up the DMC HD Collection sometime for the nostalgia lol. I have DMC 3 on pc but that's just a horrible port. Haven't played the originals in a long time and I sold my PS2 a few years back.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I think the cons outweigh the pros tbh. But I never really hated the game, it just wasn't my favourite in the series and it was the least memorable.

I actually do want to pick up the DMC HD Collection sometime for the nostalgia lol. I have DMC 3 on pc but that's just a horrible port. Haven't played the originals in a long time and I sold my PS2 a few years back.
Awww dude the PS2 has alot of hidden gems i'm still always on the look out for good ps2 games. But anywho if DMC2 was remade alot of the problems with the game would instantly be fixed sometimes on the occasion i'll pick up and play DMC2 and usually during bosses do i have the most fun

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
Haven't played the originals in a long time and I sold my PS2 a few years back.

If you still have the discs for the original games and a good PC (good processor mainly) you can burn them into ISOs and play them on an emulator, such as PCSX2. That's what I did. I'm going to get HD collection myself at some point too though.

But anywho if DMC2 was remade alot of the problems with the game would instantly be fixed sometimes on the occasion i'll pick up and play DMC2 and usually during bosses do i have the most fun

I can't see them remaking the game, there wouldn't be any profit in it unless they remade everything from scratch and even then I can't see it being successful. The game was incredibly lackluster and I found myself sleeping through it.
The thing about the boss fights in DMC2, and the combat in general, was that everything was incredibly easy even on the harder difficulties. I never found a single boss in the game to be difficult, let alone the final boss which is possibly one of the most boring final boss fights in the history of video games. My only reaction to the final boss fight in DMC2 was "Oh...another boss I can just shoot to death". Mash square to fill DT gauge then activate DT + mash square pretty much summarizes the combat in DMC2.
I agree that the PS2 has a lot of hidden gems though, I regret the fact that my PS2 finally died on me about two years ago. And now they're not making them anymore :(

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
If you still have the discs for the original games and a good PC (good processor mainly) you can burn them into ISOs and play them on an emulator, such as PCSX2. That's what I did. I'm going to get HD collection myself at some point too though.

I can't see them remaking the game, there wouldn't be any profit in it unless they remade everything from scratch and even then I can't see it being successful. The game was incredibly lackluster and I found myself sleeping through it.
The thing about the boss fights in DMC2, and the combat in general, was that everything was incredibly easy even on the harder difficulties. I never found a single boss in the game to be difficult, let alone the final boss which is possibly one of the most boring final boss fights in the history of video games. My only reaction to the final boss fight in DMC2 was "Oh...another boss I can just shoot to death". Mash square to fill DT gauge then activate DT + mash square pretty much summarizes the combat in DMC2.
I agree that the PS2 has a lot of hidden gems though, I regret the fact that my PS2 finally died on me about two years ago. And now they're not making them anymore :(
I'm not one for emulation ^_^ unless its a super rare game i can't get my hands on. And yeah its highly unlikely Capcom would even consider remaking 2

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
I'm not one for emulation ^_^ unless its a super rare game i can't get my hands on. And yeah its highly unlikely Capcom would even consider remaking 2

I'm not a big fan of emulating myself, only when it's rare games that aren't available anymore or very hard to get your hands on like you said. ...And in the case of one's console dying like my PS2 did. I usually only emulate games I don't own anymore or can't play anymore for the nostalgia trip. Such as the first Suikoden game, I've played every Suikoden game to date (some good, some bad, some ABSOLUTELY HORRID) but Suikoden 1 was only available for insane prices such as over £100 and I refuse to pay that amount of money for any game ever no matter how awesome they are.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I'm not a big fan of emulating myself, only when it's rare games that aren't available anymore or very hard to get your hands on like you said. ...And in the case of one's console dying like my PS2 did. I usually only emulate games I don't own anymore or can't play anymore for the nostalgia trip. Such as the first Suikoden game, I've played every Suikoden game to date (some good, some bad, some ABSOLUTELY HORRID) but Suikoden 1 was only available for insane prices such as over £100 and I refuse to pay that amount of money for any game ever no matter how awesome they are.
Yeah same here I have a Suikoden game I believe its 3 or 4 idk I bought along with one of my fav ps2 games Shadow of Destiny but never got around to playing it lol :| i really hate how i haven't gotten to experience the really awesome Jrpgs like Persona and the Tales series or Disgea if only i had a million dollars

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
Yeah same here I have a Suikoden game I believe its 3 or 4 idk I bought along with one of my fav ps2 games Shadow of Destiny but never got around to playing it lol :| i really hate how i haven't gotten to experience the really awesome Jrpgs like Persona and the Tales series or Disgea if only i had a million dollars

Suikoden 4 is debatably the worst in the series so you won't be that impressed by it if that's the one you have. Suikoden 1, 2, 3 and 5 were good though with 1 and 2 being the best. Not to mention the music in 2 is absolutely magnificent.

I've only played Persona 3 and I thought it was alright, not a game I'd play again though. I've actually never played a Tales game either, but I've heard people say a lot of good things about them. Disgaea is a wonderful series and I've had the pleasure of playing all four of them, if you ever find yourself having too much cash I strongly suggest you try to find a copy of one of them.
I actually just checked amazon.com and they're pretty not too pricey there. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (first game) for $19.95, Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories for $25.99, Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice for $19.02 and Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten for $19.99.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Suikoden 4 is debatably the worst in the series so you won't be that impressed by it if that's the one you have. Suikoden 1, 2, 3 and 5 were good though with 1 and 2 being the best. Not to mention the music in 2 is absolutely magnificent.

I've only played Persona 3 and I thought it was alright, not a game I'd play again though. I've actually never played a Tales game either, but I've heard people say a lot of good things about them. Disgaea is a wonderful series and I've had the pleasure of playing all four of them, if you ever find yourself having too much cash I strongly suggest you try to find a copy of one of them.
I actually just checked amazon.com and they're pretty not too pricey there. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (first game) for $19.95, Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories for $25.99, Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice for $19.02 and Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten for $19.99.
The only thing apparently bad about the Tales series is that half the series never got localized :( and yep I have Suikoden 4 haha just my luck but honestly it takes alot for me to hate a game so it shouldn't be to much of a problem and I love the opening to Disgaea 3 its just so catchy :D

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
The only thing apparently bad about the Tales series is that half the series never got localized :( and yep I have Suikoden 4 haha just my luck but honestly it takes alot for me to hate a game so it shouldn't be to much of a problem and I love the opening to Disgaea 3 its just so catchy :D

Aaand it's things like that that make me want to learn japanese. Them damn localizations!

I'd actually say you having Suikoden 4 is a good start, that way you can play all the other games (if you find them cheap) that are better than Suikoden 4 and be mindblown.

If you're considering getting a Disgaea game I strongly recommend getting 3 first. All the music in Disgaea 3 is extremely catchy and great, I love the soundtrack in that one. And the characters in Disgaea 3 are very comical and have great voice actors so you'll have many laughs playing it.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Aaand it's things like that that make me want to learn japanese. Them damn localizations!

I'd actually say you having Suikoden 4 is a good start, that way you can play all the other games (if you find them cheap) that are better than Suikoden 4 and be mindblown.

If you're considering getting a Disgaea game I strongly recommend getting 3 first. All the music in Disgaea 3 is extremely catchy and great, I love the soundtrack in that one. And the characters in Disgaea 3 are very comical and have great voice actors so you'll have many laughs playing it.
Man I love the opening for 3 haha I always do that with games if I love the soundtrack its almost always a guaranteed buy sadly I have a small collection I have only about +100 plus games give or take

blivvy

SMOKIN SICK STYLE
Awww dude the PS2 has alot of hidden gems i'm still always on the look out for good ps2 games. But anywho if DMC2 was remade alot of the problems with the game would instantly be fixed sometimes on the occasion i'll pick up and play DMC2 and usually during bosses do i have the most fun

A bit off topic but I would recommend checking out The God of War HD Collection and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection if you haven't already. They were some of the best games on PS2.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
A bit off topic but I would recommend checking out The God of War HD Collection and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection if you haven't already. They were some of the best games on PS2.
Yeah I still need to play Ico i have shadow of the Colossus and GoW strangely isn't my thing

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I never disliked DMC2, just feels like it lacked in to many areas most notably Difficulty,Level Design, and story.

But that being said, Dante's appearance in DMC2 is definitely my favorite out of all the Dante's.

He just looked so cool and badazz to me.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I never disliked DMC2, just feels like it lacked in to many areas most notably Difficulty,Level Design, and story.

But that being said, Dante's appearance in DMC2 is definitely my favorite out of all the Dante's.

He just looked so cool and badazz to me.
DMC2 isn't as bad as people like to say it is. It may seem like DMC2 is like one of my fac DMC games but no i just hate how people **** on it especially when people compare to 3 and 4. Well of coarse those games are better than 2 they fixed the problems 2 had so what would you expect. But i honestly do hope that if we do get a DMC5 Lucia will show up I actually like her alot more than i did lady.

DmcJACKPOT

Let's rock!
Well, first: i don't HATE the game. I actually find it quite fun when i'm bored
second: I like Dante's personality in this one, sure he isn't as cocky as the other versions of him but i did enjoyed it, he was one of my fav Dante so far :p
Third: yea the game is pretty much emotionless as the enemies are mostly ''walking dead'' and it came with the lack of lines of quotes
Fourth: levels are simple as well as the puzzle, nothing...unique so far and weapons are simply plain boring, not a single Devil Arms except for Rebellion and Sparda, Nightmare B, Force Edge. And it came with ''over-power'' with Dante being incredibly strong, you can actually ''stand there and shoot them to death''
I think that's all for me

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Well, first: i don't HATE the game. I actually find it quite fun when i'm bored
second: I like Dante's personality in this one, sure he isn't as cocky as the other versions of him but i did enjoyed it, he was one of my fav Dante so far :p
Third: yea the game is pretty much emotionless as the enemies are mostly ''walking dead'' and it came with the lack of lines of quotes
Fourth: levels are simple as well as the puzzle, nothing...unique so far and weapons are simply plain boring, not a single Devil Arms except for Rebellion and Sparda, Nightmare B, Force Edge. And it came with ''over-power'' with Dante being incredibly strong, you can actually ''stand there and shoot them to death''
I think that's all for me
I wonder what it would have been like if Hideki Kamiya actually knew about it during development and it wasn't rushed

Top Bottom