• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Improving characters

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I really like all the characters in DmC, but do you guys think any scenes should have been added, or words said to make the characters more complete or believable? Like maybe go more into Dante's past bewteen escaping that child home, his stint in prison and then being found by Kat?

And Mundus being angry over the death of his heir would have had more impact for me if I actually saw him give a flying hoot beforehand. >_< I dunno, like some kind of smug pride when he finds out Lilith is pregnant.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Before the game even released, I had envisioned a sequence in My head which, while a bit rough 'n' random, thought would make for a few good minutes of viewer pleasure.

It was essentially finding a way to get from this;

the-redesign-of-devil-may-cry-an-interesting-new-direction-or-a-total-fiasco_r-fac_212.jpg

To this;

DMC-560x315.jpg

I had imagined a segment about a third into the game, where Dante, learning about his Mother's demise at the hands of Mundus, got a bit too confident and tried attacking Mundus head on, leading to Dante getting his inexperienced ass handed to him and imprisoned. Handed over to Bob Barbas for brutal psychological evaluations (starvation, beating, mental torture) in order to essentially find out what makes a Nephilim tick should Mundus ever be attacked by another (Vergil...)

It would give more weight to Bob and the Limbo Central Penitentiary in general and give Dante a better reason to totally despise him other than simply being another way to annoy Mundus.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought the main problem with DmC's story was that it sacrificed lore discussion and character progression in order to advance the plot so I would add more scenes that did both.

For example, I would have had a scene where Mundus ends up talking to the other hell kings via conference call and that would develop the lore by giving us a greater sense of the larger picture and as well as seeing mundus with his peers might be good character moments.

Nelo_Vergil

i've been preaching this for the OG DMC n i'll do it here. they need to release a novel which takes during/slightly after each game which goes further in depth than the game ever could.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
i've been preaching this for the OG DMC n i'll do it here. they need to release a novel which takes during/slightly after each game which goes further in depth than the game ever could.
That would be a great idea! I'd also want one before the game as well. I don't think the Vergil comic did enough. I liked what it did though, only thing was it gave more questions than answers for some things.

Like what the heck was Mundus up to during the time after killing Eva and then the start of the game? That's a good few years where we don't know what he was doing.
Also, what was Vergil doing during that time? The only reason we know anything about his childhood is through those articles on gaming sites saying he made his money with computing, but it's never said in the game.

I just think a bit more explaining in detail for each of the character's past would have added a lot to the overall enjoyment for me.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
That would be a great idea! I'd also want one before the game as well. I don't think the Vergil comic did enough. I liked what it did though, only thing was it gave more questions than answers for some things.

Like what the heck was Mundus up to during the time after killing Eva and then the start of the game? That's a good few years where we don't know what he was doing.

We're looking at around 12 to 13 years of a time game, since Eva here was killed when the twins were 7 instead of 8 like classic. What the Eff was Mundus doing?

Also, what was Vergil doing during that time? The only reason we know anything about his childhood is through those articles on gaming sites saying he made his money with computing, but it's never said in the game.

Yeah, the most we got was him mentioning how he diverted his desire for control in his life into becoming a hacker, they left out all the info on him having created this incredible money making security program.

I just think a bit more explaining in detail for each of the character's past would have added a lot to the overall enjoyment for me.

Mandy Cheung

Mszeta006
I thought the main problem with DmC's story was that it sacrificed lore discussion and character progression in order to advance the plot so I would add more scenes that did both.

For example, I would have had a scene where Mundus ends up talking to the other hell kings via conference call and that would develop the lore by giving us a greater sense of the larger picture and as well as seeing mundus with his peers might be good character moments.

There are some potential areas to elaborate, mentioned in the comics.

1. Sparda was a very powerful demon
2. After he met Eva, they fought together to protect the humans

In the flashbacks of Dante in mission 2, it seems that Sparda didn't even fight to protect Eva. There must be some reasons, may be Sparda's power was weakened. Then I wonder what/who were this couple fighting against to protect the humans? It could be another demon king, Sparda may have been weakened because he consumed too much of his power during the fight. (like DMC but different opponent) And that it can be a potential villain in DmC 2(hopefully) besides Vergil.

There can be something more to elaborate of Sparda, Eva and Mundus, oh and Phineas too because he seems to know so much of them.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
after seeing mundusxlilth just WHAT was mundus doing indeed.
More like who was he doing:lol: But seriously, he has years running around in Kyle Ryder's body, and we don't have a clue what he was doing. In that artice Vergil has on his screen, it says Mundus only became head of finances a week before the game and replaced Kerry Prettick. And the only clue the Vergil comic gives to what Mudus was doing before was giving out free Virility because it had 'improved recipe' to brainwash humans.
And why would he need to have a child with Lilith if he is immortal?:blink: That really needs explaining. Let me guess, he was bored of life, he practically owned the world and thought he'd have a go at parenting to take away his boredom.:p

There are some potential areas to elaborate, mentioned in the comics.

1. Sparda was a very powerful demon
2. After he met Eva, they fought together to protect the humans

In the flashbacks of Dante in mission 2, it seems that Sparda didn't even fight to protect Eva. There must be some reasons, may be Sparda's power was weakened. Then I wonder what/who were this couple fighting against to protect the humans? It could be another demon king, Sparda may have been weakened because he consumed too much of his power during the fight. (like DMC but different opponent) And that it can be a potential villain in DmC 2(hopefully) besides Vergil.

There can be something more to elaborate of Sparda, Eva and Mundus, oh and Phineas too because he seems to know so much of them.
Sparda was powerful, fought with Mundus to get Mundus to the top of the demon world as king and became his blood brother. But after that, what Sparda does is a mystery. He falls in love with Eva. But how do they meet?
Also it seems what made Mundus so angry was that Sparda left him for a woman, and an angel makes the insult even worse, and more than that has a child with her that is powerful enough to kill Mundus. There's no mention of Sparda wanting to protect humans, just that he wanted to protect his family.
It would have been nice if they had mentioned Sparda also wanted to save humans after finding love. Like he had a change of heart, but it seems he did not do this.

I'll have a guess at why Sparda did not try to save Eva. Mundus has power beyond limit (like Phineas says) so he would stand no chance. I get the feeling Eva sacrificed herself to give Sparda time to rescue Dante and Vergil. But I'm not sure how Sparda was caught and imprisoned. All we see is that image. Maybe he turned himself in? Or Mundus found him? I would have liked that to be explained as well to add more to their characters.

Mandy Cheung

Mszeta006
Sparda was powerful, fought with Mundus to get Mundus to the top of the demon world as king and became his blood brother. But after that, what Sparda does is a mystery. He falls in love with Eva. But how do they meet?
Also it seems what made Mundus so angry was that Sparda left him for a woman, and an angel makes the insult even worse, and more than that has a child with her that is powerful enough to kill Mundus. There's no mention of Sparda wanting to protect humans, just that he wanted to protect his family.
It would have been nice if they had mentioned Sparda also wanted to save humans after finding love. Like he had a change of heart, but it seems he did not do this.

I just read that page in the comic again(almost forgot the password in Comixology), and confirmed that Sparda did fight for humans.

I attach the part here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10613381@N05/8514978406/

But I too agree that it may be Mundus was just too strong, as the assault was so sudden, knowing no one would shut the hell gate for them, he was immortal and no chances to defeat him, so the couple just put saving the children at first priority.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
There should definitely be a novel of Sparda and Eva. After what Vergil spoke to Dante about, i can't help but feel there's some things there that should go more into depth. I mean, this version of Sparda isn't mysterious like the past Sparda, so making something for him and Eva would be interesting.

Django

I honestly feel the cutscenes should have been reduced, with dialogue happening during the action. I think there is a tricky balance in putting too much story into an all out action game.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I just read that page in the comic again(almost forgot the password in Comixology), and confirmed that Sparda did fight for humans.

I attach the part here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10613381@N05/8514978406/

But I too agree that it may be Mundus was just too strong, as the assault was so sudden, knowing no one would shut the hell gate for them, he was immortal and no chances to defeat him, so the couple just put saving the children at first priority.

...well, that confirms it, Sparda was on his way to becoming the Legendary Dark Knight of Classic DMC...until they killed Eva and broke his spirit.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Sparda must've lived throughout the centuries of humanity's evolution.

Jesus' crucifixion, Greece, China, Japan, Egypt, British Empire, WWI & II, etc.

He can surely make an appearance someday and reunite with his son (Dante).

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
*looks at Assiel from mission 9 and then Dante and the others*
I smell a giant plothole that ain't gonna be fixed.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
They defs should have showed a brief part of Dante being in that prison before Kat found him. I think that would have made the story more interesting. Then again, maybe they didn't so that they could showcase that in the comic :blink:

The ending should have been worked on as well. Then again, all video games I've played have had disappointing endings.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
dante and vergil are in human bodies
For the Vergil and Dante being in human body:
HAN%20SOLO%20I%20KNOW.png

But one thing that leaves a tiny hole:

Assiel

She was thrown out of left field with little explanation except just being there in mission 9 and holding the emblem, no references to her or anything except Phineas saying she was a Nephilim

And the fact their is going to be(maybe) a second one is going to leave some plotholes there or tie loose ends, their maybe a giant one who the hell knows, I just got a gut feeling but I don't know.

Top Bottom