• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I'm So Glad Devil May Cry Did Not Indulge In RNG

Goldsickle

The Witcher III has a nice open world setup, engaging story and gameplay but what I really can't stand is the goddamn RNG-laden mechanics.

"3% chance of inflicting this"

"5% chance of causing that, with the maximum bonus of 31% when fully upgraded"

"2% chance of doing this and that"

Imagine if Devil May Cry abused this.
For example, "High Time level 1" has a "10% chance" of launching an enemy into the air.
You have to keep upgrading to "High Time level 5" just to max out the launching probability to 60%.
And then Dante has to equip the "Sky High Medallion" that has a "+30% launch enemies" bonus, just so you can maximize the chances of launching enemies at 90% but still has a 10% chance of not working.

I'm just so glad that the Devil May Cry series has consistent physics for all enemies.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Erm. Witcher 3 is RPG while DMC is action game. That'S pretty much apple to oranges.

Goldsickle

Erm. Witcher 3 is RPG while DMC is action game. That'S pretty much apple to oranges.
Even some action or shooting games will implement RNG in their mechanics.
Resident Evil Dead Aim will make it a critical hit if you land a shot directly on the zombie's brain.
But for games like RE5, the critical hit is based on a percent chance.

Bioshock Infinite is also full of RNG for some of its bonuses, like "x% chance enemy's weapon turns into turrets" or something like that.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Even some action or shooting games will implement RNG in their mechanics.
Resident Evil Dead Aim will make it a critical hit if you land a shot directly on the zombie's brain.
But for games like RE5, the critical hit is based on a percent chance.

Bioshock Infinite is also full of RNG for some of its bonuses, like "x% chance enemy's weapon turns into turrets" or something like that.
Bioshock tries to be mix genre with all leveling options and upgrades. Considering it comes from System shock which was more of a RPG than FPS, it was to be expected. Besides if you are talking about percentage for critical damage, I think it's to early to say if DMC5 adopts it, since we saw Assault-type enemies, who can be weakened by cutting off fins. It's unknown if it based on amount of damage they take or will it be like Monster Hunter, where you have perecentage of success to cut limbs/claws off enemies.

Goldsickle

I think it's to early to say if DMC5 adopts it, since we saw Assault-type enemies, who can be weakened by cutting off fins.
Hopefully they don't adopt that.
Even Blades or Sin Scissors back in DMC1 didn't have a percentage probability to instantly kill them when you line up the requirements.
You can also consistently destroy an Alto Angelo's shield with three Busters on DMD, instead of it being a random chance.

Top Bottom