• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I'm Boycotting Platinum Games

Do you think Platinum Games could create a decent "Darksiders-type" series?

• Total voters

Railazel

This. And the saddest part is, that most p* fans don't even realize it.

Actually, alot of them do. It's one of the reasons why P* gets respect. The guys from P* never really made alot of money from their games but they never worry about sales anyway.

Platinum games is a good 6/10 when it comes to games. Gameplay is bareable, but the over the top stuff is just stupid. Not even the GOOD over the topness.

What exactly defines "good over the topness"?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You can do what you like, but I'm going to keep playing games like Bayonetta because I love the gameplay. I'm a shallow gamer and graphics and story don't appeal to me. As long as the gameplay is fun, then I'll enjoy it. Maybe it's for that reason that I had fun with Metroid: Other M and DmC, but whatever. It's your choice to buy whatever games you want, but making a thread to make a big deal out of it is kind of conspicuous, especially when it starts arguments. So do you guys mind toning it down a tad?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
But i like MGR :thumbsdown:

Nah its cool. You do what you gotta do plus MGR is the only platinum game I wanna buy so i know what you mean.

To be fair, I dont really see Platinum changing how they do things because its either gotten them success or its how they do things. So it just depends on the individual developer like I'd imagine the MGR team wanting to do something that might be something your interested in.

Cause MGR is more story driven than other Platinum games so that could be something that the team is interested in doing.:ninja:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Actually, alot of them do. It's one of the reasons why P* gets respect. The guys from P* never really made alot of money from their games but they never worry about sales anyway.
But weren't some of those fans bragging about sales on this very thread?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
But weren't some of those fans bragging about sales on this very thread?

Only about MGR and it was about the topic that MGR sold more than DmC which is to be expected since Metal Gear has a stronger brand name than Devil May Cry.

All their other games have sold poorly, even when they were at Clover Studios their games sold poorly. PG can just never catch a break like NT.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Cool beans and more power to you my friend. Im'a keep buying their and Kamiya's good games.
tumblr_m1ts8qjdn31qcq2vho1_500.gif

vjoegif.gif

tumblr_inline_mrrc14yAjb1qz4rgp.gif

i9RxmT7QOFJ6F.gif

tumblr_mj2ehkKYi31qhyvuho1_r1_500.gif

Trollface-gifi-29.gif
Viewtiful Joe and Okami are not P* games and when it comes to P*'s line up of games, Hideki Kamiya is only behind two games (Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101).

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Deal with it

hRVw1Ma.jpg
I don't care if you hate DmC or not but anyone with a functioning brain would never use this particular metacritic score to try and prove a point where it is clearly has a bunch of people who never played the game and just came in giving poor reviews based on nothing because they were upset about the reboot's existence.

This means literally nothing.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'd say it stands to reason you wouldn't buy games from Platinum if they didn't appeal to you. Entirely boycotting them is nice, but it's pointless if you're not doing it in unison with a large number of people. Besides, it'd be kind of sad if you missed out on good games just because some games didn't turn out the way you wanted them to.

As for this talk about sales, I don't think PG really care. They seem to be doing quite well for themselves. Sure, they're not going to reach GTA V sales with one game, but it seems they're doing fine, making good games.

Edit: pretty sure Clover Studio is basically Platinum Games. Clover Studio went defunct and was split up, with both sides eventually combining to form Platinum Games. So... Okami and Viewtiful Joe are basically their games (though legally they aren't, obviously).

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'd say it stands to reason you wouldn't buy games from Platinum if they didn't appeal to you. Entirely boycotting them is nice, but it's pointless if you're not doing it in unison with a large number of people. Besides, it'd be kind of sad if you missed out on good games just because some games didn't turn out the way you wanted them to.

As for this talk about sales, I don't think PG really care. They seem to be doing quite well for themselves. Sure, they're not going to reach GTA V sales with one game, but it seems they're doing fine, making good games.

Edit: pretty sure Clover Studio is basically Platinum Games. Clover Studio went defunct and was split up, with both sides eventually combining to form Platinum Games. So... Okami and Viewtiful Joe are basically their games (though legally they aren't, obviously).

Not all of Clover went to PG...maybe the key members like Kamiya, Inaba, and Mikami but only like a handful went to PG and even Okamiden was made by a large portion of the same team that made Okami. When CAPCOM broke them up and brought them back to the main company some members decided to leave and even before Clover's disbandment Mikami had started a company to the side so he was already planning on leaving. After some of the members left Capcom and form that company it later had a merger with another company completely unrelated guys Clover and Capcom and bam Platinum Games was formed. Sooner or later other guys from Capcom left Capcom to go to PG...although some or most of them were guys who part of the DMC4 team who were tired of Kobayashi....errr I mean Capcom's sh*t.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Not all of Clover went to PG...maybe the key members like Kamiya, Inaba, and Mikami but only like a handful went to PG and even Okamiden was made by a large portion of the same team that made Okami. When CAPCOM broke them up and brought them back to the main company some members decided to leave and even before Clover's disbandment Mikami had started a company to the side so he was already planning on leaving. After some of the members left Capcom and form that company it later had a merger with another company completely unrelated guys Clover and Capcom and bam Platinum Games was formed. Sooner or later other guys from Capcom left Capcom to go to PG...although some or most of them were guys who part of the DMC4 team who were tired of Kobayashi....errr I mean Capcom's sh*t.

If I recall correctly, two companies were formed out of Clover Studio. Both of them eventually merged to become Platinum Games. I think most of the employees actually formed Platinum, not just a handful. I know Okami's art director went to Ignition Entertainment, but that's all I know right now.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If I recall correctly, two companies were formed out of Clover Studio. Both of them eventually merged to become Platinum Games. I think most of the employees actually formed Platinum, not just a handful. I know Okami's art director went to Ignition Entertainment, but that's all I know right now.

Really I heard Clover Studio was only and mainly comprised of some of Capcom's top talent and then some. Perhaps they hired random people for filler spots (extra programmers, modellers, etc).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Besides, it'd be kind of sad if you missed out on good games just because some games didn't turn out the way you wanted them to.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm not missing out on anything by not playing these games.

Like I said, there are a lot of action titles I can still play out there. Both old and new. I honestly could not care less when it comes to "missing out".

In the end, there's really isn't anything for me to "miss out" on.

I don't like their games, I have no personal reason to like them, and since other games can offer me just as much action, I don't have to play them.
This means literally nothing.
Good luck convincing the die-hards of that.

Top Bottom