• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I Will Never Support Cloud Gaming

Do You Support The Cloud?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Only Support Option To Download On Removable Memory Drives

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I am against The Cloud when it comes to games. Videos are a different matter, because I can download those videos onto my computer if I choose to do so with an add-on.

However, a lot of people out there are not able to "stream" games as they're playing them. They can barely download them to play in the first place -- and that's if they're lucky enough to do so.

I'm not going to post any links here because this is just my opinion, and I wanted to warn everyone about the dangers of cloud gaming itself.

If you can download it (legally, of course) off of a database, then that's ok, because it's just like a game cartridge when you finish downloading it. Just plug in your hard drive or memory stick and play it from there.

However, if you're streaming a game, it will most likely cut off at some point. Even with a good internet connection, the chances of your game being interrupted are still astronomically high.

This is the reason why people who play against other people online during fighting games accuse the other of rage-quitting or cheating when the other person's connection falters. In reality, it's no fault of their own (obviously) that their game disconnected.

Now, you're probably wondering if the "No", and the "Download Only", poll options are more or less the same thing. In my opinion, they really aren't. This goes back to the internet speed issue.

If you can't download games in the first place, then "No" would be valid as a separate option. In that scenario, you can neither use cloud gaming nor are you in a position to download the games themselves.

And what happens when these servers go under? If you've downloaded the games, there's still hope because the data is still there. If it's only available through the cloud, then it's pretty much gone forever.

And since videos are much faster to load, and since you're probably only going to watch the video once, the argument that cloud gaming can be an option at all is therefore null-and-void due to the fact that you're going to probably want to play the game again at some point, and also because games are much slower to steam unless you have a really good internet connection.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Remember, there's a reason why the "OnLive" game platform never took off. In the end, it's not a feasible model -- for neither the consumer nor for the actual game provider itself.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I don't mind backing up an extra copy of my game saves, but that's about it.

You just have to look at what happened with Simcity to know that this kind of gaming is a bad idea. Even the single player mode required online access all the time to the EA servers, and when the ervers couldn't cope, people couldn't play the game they paid for.

I'm sticking with physical game discs until the virtual games become reliable and internet is good quality for all gamers so that they can download quickly.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I have nothing else to add except, "agree with this."
a-winner-is-you.gif

Oh, and always get a back-up copy of your downloaded games. If you paid for it, and if you don't give it to anyone else for free, then you have the right to swap out your hard drive/memory card and keep an extra copy in case your original copy becomes corrupted somehow.

Forgot to add that little tidbit to the original post. Whoops.

Dark Drakan

Admin
As a backup service & extra storage service the cloud is an excellent idea but streaming games on the UK's current internet speeds would likely be troublesome. I like the idea but the infrastructure just isnt there to do such an idea justice yet.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Cloud gaming would make sense for games that are online dependent anyway ( MMORPGs, FPSs that don't make a campaign mode and i think that's it but there could be something else)

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Cloud gaming would take like at least 5 years to gain mainstream popularity.

Hell people still buy cassettes in 2013 so i don't think physical copies are going any soon so i'll just let this one pass.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
Let's get physical, physical!

Since I’m not very technical minded, I’d rather have a physical copy rather than something up there somewhere, erm, wherever >_>

Perhaps having a real copy and one on the Cloud could work as a backup if your disc gets damaged. I think they should do that with books, buying a new book should let you get a kindle version too; maybe they could do it for games?

Top Bottom