• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I Wanna Know Something

berto

I Saw the Devil
Anybody here are DMC1 Purists? If there are, please respond.

Anybody here hate DMC3 and DMC4? Is it because of the anime bishounen approach? Any other legit reasons why you guys hate it asides from the anime-cliche approach?

Please explain to me in full detail why you disliked DMC3 and DMC4 and why DMC1 and even DMC2 have original vibes.

I suppose I am a purist. I, however, don't hate DMC3 or 4.... Maybe I hate 4 a little bit, but it's not for those reasons.

I do hate the damn anime twist that they did on DMC4 and I do hate the BS bishonen approach when the original had a much more memorable style. I, however, see them as related materal to DMC, like the novel and the art books, and do appreciate 3 for all it's brought to the franchise and the genre.

I think I've mentioned this once or twice but the reason I've stuck with the series is because every time they release something of DMC I've hoped that they would replicate the experience that DMC1 brought all those years ago. The closest I've gotten to that are other Shinji Mikami games and it it reminds me that the possibility of what I want, what I hope for with every iteration of this franchise, is damn near impossible. Mikami has the ambiance down along with the dialogue, the attitudes, that bravado that his characters have, and the others have the combat so if only they'd be willing to join together, but like I said, impossible.

DmC was more like any other B action movie with special affects.

I've mentioned once or twice how I thought the writing quality of DmC was on par with a Sci-Fi original story.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I suppose I am a purist. I, however, don't hate DMC3 or 4.... Maybe I hate 4 a little bit, but it's not for those reasons.

I do hate the damn anime twist that they did on DMC4 and I do hate the BS bishonen approach when the original had a much more memorable style. I, however, see them as related materal to DMC, like the novel and the art books, and do appreciate 3 for all it's brought to the franchise and the genre.

I think I've mentioned this once or twice but the reason I've stuck with the series is because every time they release something of DMC I've hoped that they would replicate the experience that DMC1 brought all those years ago. The closest I've gotten to that are other Shinji Mikami games and it it reminds me that the possibility of what I want, what I hope for with every iteration of this franchise, is damn near impossible. Mikami has the ambiance down along with the dialogue, the attitudes, that bravado that his characters have, and the others have the combat so if only they'd be willing to join together, but like I said, impossible.

Good answer. And good point on Shinji Mikami's produced games too. DMC1 also had this horror feel too, like with classic Resident Evil games. Though I have not played any of them except DMC1, I think you wanted the same kind of experience Mikami did back when he was with Capcom, correct?

I understand you hated the anime approach, like with DarkSlayerZero before you. It's also good you don't hate DMC3 and DMC4 (but you hated it a little) as a whole.

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
DMC1 is definitely my favorite game in the series. That, however, doesn't make me hate other DMC games. I like the whole series, even DMC2 though it's obviously the worst of them.

The thing I miss the most is the horror aspect. The original DMC had some really dark environments and creepy monsters. Marionettes and Nobodies still make my skin crawl. The ambient music was often haunting and oppressive. I've hoped to see DMC going back to its roots for 10 years now, but I guess that'll never happen.

DMC3 has the best combat system in the series, but the atmosphere and overall style is completely different. Dante was a very likable person in the original game. He was serious about his work, and showed a sense of honor when fighting his enemies. Dante getting angry at Mundus for killing Griffon is a scene I'll never forget. DMC3 Dante was obnoxious for most of the time. I've learned to like him since he does grow as a character during the story, but there are still moments in the game where I think he just goes too far, like when he keeps fooling around when Lady tries to reason with him after Arkham's supposed death.

MigsRZXAStylish

DMC1 is definitely my favorite game in the series. That, however, doesn't make me hate other DMC games. I like the whole series, even DMC2 though it's obviously the worst of them.

The thing I miss the most is the horror aspect. The original DMC had some really dark environments and creepy monsters. Marionettes and Nobodies still make my skin crawl. The ambient music was often haunting and oppressive. I've hoped to see DMC going back to its roots for 10 years now, but I guess that'll never happen.

DMC3 has the best combat system in the series, but the atmosphere and overall style is completely different. Dante was a very likable person in the original game. He was serious about his work, and showed a sense of honor when fighting his enemies. Dante getting angry at Mundus for killing Griffon is a scene I'll never forget. DMC3 Dante was obnoxious for most of the time. I've learned to like him since he does grow as a character during the story, but there are still moments in the game where I think he just goes too far, like when he keeps fooling around when Lady tries to reason with him after Arkham's supposed death.

And that is why, in the classic DMC games, DMC1 and DMC3 remain as my personal favorites (for gameplay, DMC3 > DMC1; for Dante incarnation however, DMC1 > DMC3. I have a weird taste, don't I?); DMC2 is still considered the worst (I have seen a fair review of it here in the forums under the DMC2 section) and DMC4, despite its good combat system, wasn't that good enough...

DarkSlayer54

For me, If I had to rank all the DMC games, it'd be DMC1 > DmC > DMC2 > DMC3 > DMC4.

I only managed to beat DMC4 once, and I only beat DMC3 HD once as well. I actually beat DMC2 twice, and I had much more fun on that than DMC3.

The reason I favor DMC1 over all the other games, is that each enemy can easily be exploited. The game isn't really about skill, but knowledge instead (excluding bosses... they kicked my butt). I found that the atmosphere in DMC1 was the best, and I also thought that the enemy/boss/level design was the best. The controls/camera/lock-on didn't age well imo, but 2 out of the 3 of those problems still existed in DmC.

While I can't say I'm fond of DMC2, I can enjoy the game without feeling aggravated or bored. With DMC3/DMC4 however... I just don't like anything about them. DMC3's level designs, and enemy designs were annoying to me. I hated all the backtracking I had to do in DMC3, and 8 out of every 10 enemies would annoy me... and so I would only have around 10 minutes of real enjoyment before wondering why I haven't thrown the game back on the shelf. I liked the gameplay, but everything else just ruined the experience. And DMC4... well, I only beat it once when it was first released, found it awfully boring, and never beat it again. I tried playing it a few months ago... but I only managed to beat 2-3 missions before stopping.

I can't really say much else... I'd have to really dive into the games with a pen and paper to think about all the things I dislike/hate... but collectively, those problems add up and at the end of the day it boils down to the level/enemy designs of DMC3/DMC4 that I dislike.

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
collectively, those problems add up and at the end of the day it boils down to the level/enemy designs of DMC3/DMC4 that I dislike.

It's unfortunate the enemies and levels hindered your enjoyment of DMC3. But I have to agree that many enemies in DMC3 were disappointingly boring and generic (like the scythe wielding Abyss and 7 Hells), and many of the levels weren't that visually striking or interesting. Still, that never bothered me because I just had way too much fun with the combat system, and the bosses were unique and challenging.

I don't think DMC4 shared these same issues, however. Scarecrows, the most common normal enemies, were a nice throwback to Marionettes, and classic enemies like Blades (can't see why they changed the name) and Frosts made a comeback. The Angelos were also pretty impressive in my opinion. While the game certainly had some pacing issues, the levels were still interesting and constantly changing. Obviously it got boring when Dante had to retread the same ground as Nero, but there wasn't anything wrong with the designs themselves.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
It's unfortunate the enemies and levels hindered your enjoyment of DMC3. But I have to agree that many enemies in DMC3 were disappointingly boring and generic (like the scythe wielding Abyss and 7 Hells), and many of the levels weren't that visually striking or interesting. Still, that never bothered me because I just had way too much fun with the combat system, and the bosses were unique and challenging.

I don't think DMC4 shared these same issues, however. Scarecrows, the most common normal enemies, were a nice throwback to Marionettes, and classic enemies like Blades (can't see why they changed the name) and Frosts made a comeback. The Angelos were also pretty impressive in my opinion. While the game certainly had some pacing issues, the levels were still interesting and constantly changing. Obviously it got boring when Dante had to retread the same ground as Nero, but there wasn't anything wrong with the designs themselves.

The first dmc game i played was dmc4 and i have to say it really made me appreciate the rest of the series the gameplay and the enemies were great in my opinion it was repetitive but it was still a great game and i found the dm4 enemies much more unique and original and challenging

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If I had to rank the DMC games, it would be DMC3-DMC1-DMC4-DMC2-DmC.

DMC1 is not creepy at all, though it did have a nice medieval vibe. Fine enemies, disappointing combat (when you play it and compare it to other installments).

DMC2 has nice graphics, I guess. And the character design and soundtrack are pretty good.

DMC3 has excellent gameplay, nice enemies which I thought were pretty original. I mean, I don't think I'd played any game at that time that had similar enemies. Good script, good characters, though Dante was indeed a bit too much at times.

DMC4 has great gameplay, good enemies (though there were a lot of enemies that didn't really allow you to combo much). Excellent cutscenes, nice graphics. Backtracking kind of spoils it.

DmC has too many actions for the amount of buttons on your controller, I think. Then there's a lot of obnoxious characters and voice acting and bad writing.

MigsRZXAStylish

If I had to rank the DMC games, it would be DMC3-DMC1-DMC4-DMC2-DmC.

DMC1 is not creepy at all, though it did have a nice medieval vibe. Fine enemies, disappointing combat (when you play it and compare it to other installments).

DMC2 has nice graphics, I guess. And the character design and soundtrack are pretty good.

DMC3 has excellent gameplay, nice enemies which I thought were pretty original. I mean, I don't think I'd played any game at that time that had similar enemies. Good script, good characters, though Dante was indeed a bit too much at times.

DMC4 has great gameplay, good enemies (though there were a lot of enemies that didn't really allow you to combo much). Excellent cutscenes, nice graphics. Backtracking kind of spoils it.

DmC has too many actions for the amount of buttons on your controller, I think. Then there's a lot of obnoxious characters and voice acting and bad writing.

This thread is not about ranking the DMC games. It's about if anyone who likes DMC1 the most hate on DMC3 and DMC4 in which I would like to ask about. As what Unknown told me, Reuben Langdon received tons of hate mail about it according to an interview of his.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
This thread is not about ranking the DMC games. It's about if anyone who likes DMC1 the most hate on DMC3 and DMC4 in which I would like to ask about. As what Unknown told me, Reuben Langdon received tons of hate mail about it according to an interview of his.

Well, that doesn't make much sense to me. Some people here argued that DMC3 and DMC4 were more anime-like than DMC1, which seems wrong to me. I liked DMC1 and thought it was pretty similar to DMC3.

MigsRZXAStylish

Well, that doesn't make much sense to me. Some people here argued that DMC3 and DMC4 were more anime-like than DMC1, which seems wrong to me. I liked DMC1 and thought it was pretty similar to DMC3.

I was just shocked when Unknown told me that. I never knew there are DMC1 fans hating on DMCs 3 and 4, mostly because of the anime vibes... But there are other reasons too, like how Dante is interpreted and, as what DarkSlayerZero said, DMC3 retconned DMC1. You might want to take what you said to them.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Boy...

Ok, so the first game was a Resident Evil game, yes? DMC 3 is oftej descrived as an anime which is very not the case. DMC 3 was a Ryuhei Takamura movie. If you want proof I have two words for you: Versus and Aragami. Watch those two movies and you'll see where they got the style for DMC3... and a bit of 4.

MigsRZXAStylish

Boy...

Ok, so the first game was a Resident Evil game, yes? DMC 3 is oftej descrived as an anime which is very not the case. DMC 3 was a Ryuhei Takamura movie. If you want proof I have two words for you: Versus and Aragami. Watch those two movies and you'll see where they got the style for DMC3... and a bit of 4.

Pretty much... So that's where DMC3's and 4's came from, eh? I'll keep your word for it...!

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I honestly perfer dmc 4 overall dmc3 a close second ii have yet to play dmc1 so im really looking forward to it

Top Bottom