• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I hate overpowered Dante

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Finally! Someone who agrees with me!

I never liked a Protagonist being too overpowered. That's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy Rosario's fight scenes, cause Moka would finish it in a few seconds. Save for the final battle in season 1.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
No overpowered Dante = No Awesomeness = No good.

I don't wanna hear him complaining or moaning like the new Lara Croft, Dante needs to do what he's famous for, kicking ass and being cool. Why are fans so hellbent on turning badass characters into weak pu**ies?

Oh yeah because it's more "believable" right? -_-

AlchemistFromEden

since i like my compelling story and for there to be character development, its hard to actually care when the character is OP as hell, kinda like bayonetta, she's a terrible character, just like dmc4 dante, both are extremely OP to the point of being completely unrelatable, and lack good character development, especially when it comes to really bad female characters who are just tits with guns like this
Lara-Croft4.jpg

yes i prefer my characters to be more believable because story telling in video games has come that far that it can be a believable and relatable so that i'm not embarrassed when i talk about them, this is embarassing
bayonetta-13-321.jpg
as embarrassing as this only perpetuates the stereotype that people who play video games are still anti social lonely young and old men
i want less of bayonetta pretending to be cool and more of this in my games and thank god that developers are realizing this
1365757011-clockwork-empire-2.jpg

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
No overpowered Dante = No Awesomeness = No good.

I don't wanna hear him complaining or moaning like the new Lara Croft, Dante needs to do what he's famous for, kicking ass and being cool. Why are fans so hellbent on turning badass characters into weak pu**ies?

Oh yeah because it's more "believable" right? -_-

No because no one likes a cake with too much icing smothering it to a complete mess.

berto

I Saw the Devil
since i like my compelling story and for there to be character development, its hard to actually care when the character is OP as hell, kinda like bayonetta, she's a terrible character, just like dmc4 dante, both are extremely OP to the point of being completely unrelatable, and lack good character development, especially...

... yes i prefer my characters to be more believable because story telling in video games has come that far that it can be a believable and relatable so that i'm not embarrassed when i talk about them, this is embarassing
There is that word again, relatable. While I agree with what you gotta say I can't get behind the idea that if the characters aren't relatable then they are bad. I am nether rich nor have I witnessed my parents death, and even if I had I would provably never go on a vigilante revenge spree and nether would most, that doesn't mean that Batman is a bad character.

All I'm saying is that relatable isn't as quintessential to a successful character as people make it out to be.

As for Dante's OPness? We've talked about this before, mostly on the DMC4 section.

But there's at least a limit to his devil trigger. Mundus and bigger bosses can stand against it.

That isn't exactly as good a thing as you are trying to make it seem. Sure the bosses don't float but it makes it so that the boss can be taken out in a fraction of the contact and everything else, too. It's overpowered and there is no question about it.

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
That's one of the crappy things about New Dante IMO. He's so realistic and relatable to a point where he no longer stands out from the norm. He's just another face. That's what I loved about Old Dante: He stood out because he came off as different. There's nothing wrong with applying realism to characters but when people say that Old Dante sucked because he wasn't realistic/relatable, I'm thinking...What the actual fuhk? When we play games, we play them to escape reality and let our imaginations run wild and free.

As for the topic at hand, yeah, I agree. I mean, Dante wasn't so much the problem, it's just that there weren't any good challenges for him. C'mon, DMC4 Dante was said to surpass Sparda. What did you expect?

AlchemistFromEden

There is that word again, relatable. While I agree with what you gotta say I can't get behind the idea that if the characters aren't relatable then they are bad.
never said they were, i just prefer my characters to have depth and good arcs, something old dante didn't have
All I'm saying is that relatable isn't as quintessential to a successful character as people make it out to be.
never said it was, i just said that i prefer relatable and believable to anime bullshit logic. especially when it comes to female protagonists, that's why i love AS compared to the classic spiderman films
As for Dante's OPness? We've talked about this before, mostly on the DMC4 section.

Terrutas

That's one of the crappy things about New Dante IMO. He's so realistic and relatable to a point where he no longer stands out from the norm. He's just another face. That's what I loved about Old Dante: He stood out because he came off as different. There's nothing wrong with applying realism to characters but when people say that Old Dante sucked because he wasn't realistic/relatable, I'm thinking...What the actual fuhk? When we play games, we play them to escape reality and let our imaginations run wild and free.

As for the topic at hand, yeah, I agree. I mean, Dante wasn't so much the problem, it's just that there weren't any good challenges for him. C'mon, DMC4 Dante was said to surpass Sparda. What did you expect?
Naaaaah Old Dante is just some anime-ish goofball. You can't like him, he's too fictional!

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Naaaaah Old Dante is just some anime-ish goofball. You can't like him, he's too fictional!
Old Lara looked good, was a tough girl who could bring down dinos and dragons, but we can't like her either because apparently a women who can hold her own against creatures 10x her size with her skills and a set of pistols is sexist while a whining crybaby who spends the majority of her game getting beaten up is a very good and well done character right?

@ Chibi Cloud
LOVE THE SIG :D

Terrutas

Old Lara looked good, was a tough girl who could bring down dinos and dragons, but we can't like her either because apparently a women who can hold her own against creatures 10x her size with her skills and a set of pistols is sexist while a whining crybaby who spends the majority of her game getting beaten up is a very good and well done character right?
Well, yeah. Because the ones who complain about Old Lara relate to the new one since they do the same thing. :)

berto

I Saw the Devil
never said they were, i just prefer my characters to have depth and good arcs, something old dante didn't have
That's not true. Dante had a rather interesting story in the first and 3rd game. The first game was a victim of it's time, as most action games back in '01 didn't put so much emphasis on plot as we do now, but go read some of the interviews and other DMC1 materials that give further insight into the story and you'll find that the plot for the original is not as shallow as it seems. There was thought behind the characters and thought behind the plot, it just simply didn't get put in back in the day.

DMC3 had alot of plot that didn't make it to the script because there were alot of things that were background elements, reasoning and drives that the creators didn't add because it was more for their knowlege than ours.

never said it was, i just said that i prefer relatable and believable to anime bullshit logic. especially when it comes to female protagonists, that's why i love AS compared to the classic spiderman films
Nothing like that really goes hand in hand. For a character to be realistic he doesn't have to be believable and to be relatable he doesn't have to be realistic. I've seen plenty of characters that were nether realistic nor believable but still had more charm and charisma than any other character that were. Some were anime characters, some not.

To clarify, I didn't say that you specifically made a point of saying that relatable was quintessential, simply that I didn't agree with that thought process.

He's so realistic and relatable to a point where he no longer stands out from the norm.
I found him nether realistic nor relatable. I found him to be a shallow teen power fantasy with less than impressive attempts at depth and more face palm and eye roll moments than a supposedly grand story telling studio written plot should have. I mean, seriously, punching the bouncer at a club? That's nether realistic nor relatable and it's a straight out of the kind of action genre it claims to not be. What's next? Been offered the presidency of the world only to turn it down with the excuse that he's place is in the battle field?

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
I found him nether realistic nor relatable. I found him to be a shallow teen power fantasy with less than impressive attempts at depth and more face palm and eye roll moments than a supposedly grand story telling studio written plot should have. I mean, seriously, punching the bouncer at a club? That's nether realistic nor relatable and it's a straight out of the kind of action genre it claims to not be. What's next? Been offered the presidency of the world only to turn it down with the excuse that he's place is in the battle field?
You're right. My bad then. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I mean, he tries too hard. I think the biggest mistake in his character though was naming him "Dante". Whether he's a good character/bad character, that's all subjective. But he's unappealing to me and IMO he's nothing like Uncle Dante. Its like he's trying to be new while catering to fans of the old Dante and it just doesn't work. You can't put two and two together like that and expect it to work.

Oh and for the record, I'd rather have an overpowered character with charm than one that isn't endearing.

Top Bottom