• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

how would you make a devil may cry fighting game?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
devil may cry has went so many years with enough characters for a fighting game, and each of installments has it's own signature of style and weapons, i kept thinking how can we make a great fighting game based on their own specialties?

for a start, i think we could use a wide arena much like the naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm revolution --gosh, that's a long title..

for characters we have :
- 5 Dantes
- Nero
- 2 Vergil
- Lady
- Trish
- Kyrie --no, skip that, not fair
- Kat --no, skip that again, not fair
- Credo
- Agnus
- Agni/Rudra
- Arkham/Jester
- Lucia
- do add more since i'm only more familiar with three titles of dmcs

and maybe some awesome demon like:
- Drekavac

and we should have wide variety of weapons to use for each, we already got the picture especially from DMC4 for some characters.. i say let us use all of the weapons presented in each games for the particular character

special moves, maybe DT related, any thoughts?

my biggest questions are, specially for DMC4, DmC and maybe DMC3, is it possible to keep each physics for each of the dante/vergil character? imo, those games could stand against eachother with less tweaking.. or should the game use same physics? i would say use DMC4 or DmC then, or a mix of them both, however possible that would be..

as for DMC1 and DMC2 characters, how would you make them feel and act?

share your thoughts guys

Hitorio

I don't know much about game design, but I could reference some some valuable crumbs to drop onto the table. Two games come to mind that boast mechanics you might find useful:

-Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (contains Dante, Vergil, and Trish. While it isn't Devil May Cry centric, it does translate their signature moves into button commands smoothly and competently. Their combos are fun to pull off.)

-Anarchy Reigns ( - a fighting game from Platinum that sports the camera angle of a third person action game. The premise is pretty much: what if you could fight other players in a third person action game?)

absolitude

haven't played any of them, but i guess it's safe to follow up what marvel v capcom3 combo style for the characters.. and WOW, wtf is that anarchy reigns? that's one awesome looking fighting game.. but what kind of fighting game is that? online multiplayer?

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
devil may cry has went so many years with enough characters for a fighting game, and each of installments has it's own signature of style and weapons, i kept thinking how can we make a great fighting game based on their own specialties?

for a start, i think we could use a wide arena much like the naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm revolution --gosh, that's a long title..

for characters we have :
- 5 Dantes
- Nero
- 2 Vergil
- Lady
- Trish
- Kyrie --no, skip that, not fair
- Kat --no, skip that again, not fair
- Credo
- Agnus
- Agni/Rudra
- Arkham/Jester
- Lucia
- do add more since i'm only more familiar with three titles of dmcs

and maybe some awesome demon like:
- Drekavac

and we should have wide variety of weapons to use for each, we already got the picture especially from DMC4 for some characters.. i say let us use all of the weapons presented in each games for the particular character

special moves, maybe DT related, any thoughts?

my biggest questions are, specially for DMC4, DmC and maybe DMC3, is it possible to keep each physics for each of the dante/vergil character? imo, those games could stand against eachother with less tweaking.. or should the game use same physics? i would say use DMC4 or DmC then, or a mix of them both, however possible that would be..

as for DMC1 and DMC2 characters, how would you make them feel and act?

share your thoughts guys
There are some really good MUGEN Devil May Cry characters, mainly DMC3 Dante and Vergil and also DMC4 Dante and Nero and I also saw a Lady MUGEN character once but I can't find her no matter how much I look for her anymore but I think that a 2d Devil May Cry fighting game would be the way to go.

absolitude

There are some really good MUGEN Devil May Cry characters, mainly DMC3 Dante and Vergil and also DMC4 Dante and Nero and I also saw a Lady MUGEN character once but I can't find her no matter how much I look for her anymore but I think that a 2d Devil May Cry fighting game would be the way to go.

for the 2d style, some have experienced that in umvc3 and like hitorio said it works nice, so i'm thinking of a more "grand" and refreshing style, i imagine a 3d one, and maybe like DMC3 setting up standard for h/s, the devil may cry fighting game could set up new standard for weapon based + combo fighter

Hitorio

haven't played any of them, but i guess it's safe to follow up what marvel v capcom3 combo style for the characters.. and WOW, wtf is that anarchy reigns? that's one awesome looking fighting game.. but what kind of fighting game is that? online multiplayer?
Yep - online multiplayer or single player. This game cannot be split screened.
Fun Fact: It also contains Bayonetta as a guest fighter.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
for the 2d style, some have experienced that in umvc3 and like hitorio said it works nice, so i'm thinking of a more "grand" and refreshing style, i imagine a 3d one, and maybe like DMC3 setting up standard for h/s, the devil may cry fighting game could set up new standard for weapon based + combo fighter
Now that I think about it, how about a Soul Calibur style game but with the air combat abilities of UMvC3 where you have the ability to do the things in DMC that you can do in the air but Soul Calibur style.

absolitude

oh, i forgot about dissidia, never played the game but have seen it numerous times.. yeah the landscape and pov will really be fit for devil may cry fighting game..

but this anarchy reigns is really interesting, maybe they could use that style for the online gameplay so there'll be the dissidia/soulcalibur pov for couch multiplayer and there'll be the focused 3rd person pov for the online, and there'll be watch feature for other players so we could watch the awesome combo gamers fight eachother with spectacle view..

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I was thinking about adding DMC to the Darkstalkers roster as it feels like a natural fit.

The cast are all supernatural creatures while DMC is about the misadventures of a half demon/half human who hunts evil demons.

If you can't make a cool story out of that, then you should pack up your typewriter and move on out of here.:facepalm:

It's a natural crossover and an easy way for one series to promote the other.

absolitude

I think a Metroidvania style Devil May Cry game would make more sense than a fighting game in my opinion.
they could actually do it as a side project to keep the game from being vacant, arkham batman and the reboot castlevania had that.. capcom? no, they're not doing this even if i think that kind of game is easier to pull.. but they did that back then, with pocket fighter and stuffs.. i don't know capcom anymore, they used to be so fun

I was thinking about adding DMC to the Darkstalkers roster as it feels like a natural fit.

The cast are all supernatural creatures while DMC is about the misadventures of a half demon/half human who hunts evil demons.

If you can't make a cool story out of that, then you should pack up your typewriter and move on out of here.:facepalm:

It's a natural crossover and an easy way for one series to promote the other.

you mean bring dante to the darkstalkers fighting game or making a crossover action game between them? if it were the 2d fighting game then they could just use the style in umvc3, but then there's nothing new from it but it will sure bring darkstalkers back..

Gray Knight

I don't think that it has a roster of appropriate size for a fighting game. If it did become one i'd find it hard to find a balance between characters ability.
I'd just have a quick bonus feature be added in to a normal installment (if it has more than one playable characters) to just put you two people in bloody palace with control of their character and watch them duke it out. Kind of like megaman 7's hidden multiplayer versus thing. Have it so that they could both pick the same character and have player 2 be represented by a doppelganger version of the character.

Top Bottom