• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How spoiler-y is too spoiler-y?

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
So, a while back I was having a discussion on Dark Souls. Somehow, something happened and I had to mention the name of a demon boss. The immediate effect of my mentioning of the name led to people forgetting the topic at hand and telling me how I spoiled the game for them and should have kept the name in spoiler tag. At first, I thought they were just goofing around but after a couple of posts, I knew they were dead serious. I swear I just mentioned ONLY THE NAME of the demon, nothing else.

To be honest, I'm still puzzled by that incident and don't understand. So ask you guys, can knowing just the name of a boss ruin the experience for you? Hence the question, how spoiler-y is too spoiler-y for you guys?

SPOILER. SPOILER. SPOIPER.
For those of who are curious, I just mentioned Capra Demon. Just the name.

Viper

Premium
Considering for most games things like names, character design and even scenes from the game are being thrown to the internet from developers themselves as part of advertising and building the hype, I find it really silly to whine over a name, even if it's a boss.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Considering for most games things like names, character design and even scenes from the game are being thrown to the internet from developers themselves as part of advertising and building the hype, I find it really silly to whine over a name, even if it's a boss.

I found it silly myself, but there were people who got annoyed by that.

Let's try another example. Imagine DmC came out today, and you somehow came to know that you'd have to fight Vergil. Will it annoy you? Or will it cause the game to be spoiled for you?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Someone spoilt the last Star Trek movie by naming the real name of the villain... It was on deviant art and they had created a desktop wallpaper and, posted it under the title of the villain's real name. I was pretty peeved (...actually, I could've raised hell).

Then there's DmC. Some people received the game early, which meant they spoiled the ending for the rest of the people who didn't get the game early.

With regards to Dark Souls, if the guy you mentioned was supposed to be dead... fair enough.
But if it was just a name, then no.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Someone spoilt the last Star Trek movie by naming the real name of the villain... It was on deviant art and they had created a desktop wallpaper and, posted it under the title of the villain's real name. I was pretty peeved (...actually, I could've raised hell).
For a movie, to do that, is actually a SIN, without any hope of redemption. I get annoyed by that, too.

With regards to Dark Souls, if the guy you mentioned was supposed to be dead... fair enough.
But if it was just a name, then no.

To be honest, I was describing some cheap moments. Though I don't renember my exact words, but it went something like, "Capra demon fight was pretty cheap. It p!ssed me off so many times". Is it still spoiler-y?

Last edited:

Meg

I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to know anything about the story or characters. Minus the names. Character/boss names aren't spoilers. I'm not sure why that person was so upset. o_O

Thanks to the Internet, it's become increasingly difficult to avoid spoilers, and as a result, people have gotten more and more upset about spoilers. Which I can understand. If you go to great lengths to avoid spoilers by avoiding discussions and articles, by blocking hashtags, and whatever else you think of, AND THEN something gets spoiled for you anyway? Eesh. I can understand the pain. But I think it's important that everyone keeps in mind some things are bigger spoilers than others. For instance, I've read all the current Game of Thrones books awhile ago, so conversations I have about the series with people who only watch the show have to be guarded carefully. That's understandable.

But minor things that to many wouldn't be considered a spoiler? People need to calm down. Sure, if you're like me and want nothing spoiled and then something is, that's annoying. But I get over it, and it's not like I don't read the book/play the game/whatever anyway.

Basically, things like the ending to Bioshock Infinite or who dies when in Game of Thrones shouldn't be spoiled because those are big enough events to warrant spoiler warnings. But the people who think entire discussions about a story need to be shut down until they experience for themselves need to chill out.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
The way I look at spoilers is like this:
Does it spoil anything important to the main plot? No, then it isn't a spoiler. Yes, then stfu and wait until it seems to be general knowledge to mention stuff in great detail...unless people specifically asks for it. *tries to always ask her friends if they want a spoiler or not, unless she forgets*

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
when a crucial element is revealed that lessens the experience. that is a spoiler. when something is OVER ADVERTISED, then that counts as a spoiler. like batman arkham origins. having the joker in the trailers was a major spoiler.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
when a crucial element is revealed that lessens the experience. that is a spoiler. when something is OVER ADVERTISED, then that counts as a spoiler. like batman arkham origins. having the joker in the trailers was a major spoiler.

Whereas I didn't count Mr. J as a spoiler. More like a teaser. But I agree with the rest of what you said.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Interesting point everyone.
So, as I see, the limit and extent for spoilers differs from person to person. Like Meg said she doesn't like to know anything about story and characters, but she doesn't consider names as spoiler. On the hand, VW prefers even the names should not be revealed and we have Jak(I will get back to you in a moment) who considered Joker's name revelation as a spoiler, and on this, I have the same stance as that of Shadow - it was more like a teaser.

Now, back to Jak.
I agree crucial moments shouldn't be told in any form of entertainment- be it a game or a movie, especially a movie because in a movie, all you do is watch and enjoy. No interaction in/with a movie, but in a game, there is interaction, like living your own 'movie', and so the damage done by those important moments may be mitigated. I don't know if I'm clear on this, but if you look at Prototype 2 marketing, it revolved around 'murder your maker' which told you the who was the main villain. What's your say on that?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i never considered the joker reveal to be a "teaser" @Pale Rider and @Shadow . i'd like to hear more about that. but in terms of prototype 2. i didn't follow it so i never heard the tagline "murder your maker". and if its on the cover, i don't know cuz i got a pre-owned copy so it wasn't anything fancy. but...NO...who thought that'd be a good idea to advertise the game that way? it sounds catchy, but its just too spoilery imo. just as bad as those ASM2 trailers. i stayed away from any marketing of that film because i learned my lesson from the first movie. but i saw the trailers and said "THEY'VE BASICALLY SHOWN US THE ENTIRE MOVIE IN THE FIRST 2 TRAILERS". ugh. but its whatever. the best a person CAN do is try to ignore them. i know thats ****ty advice, but thats all i got.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
i never considered the joker reveal to be a "teaser" @Pale Rider and @Shadow . i'd like to hear more about that.
I most definitely can't speak For Shadow, but for for me, it wasn't a spoiler because it shows only the existence of another baddie in a game full of baddies. His storyline, his character and his interaction with the player are concealed and left for the players to explore.

but in terms of prototype 2. i didn't follow it so i never heard the tagline "murder your maker". and if its on the cover, i don't know cuz i got a pre-owned copy so it wasn't anything fancy. but...NO...who thought that'd be a good idea to advertise the game that way? it sounds catchy, but its just too spoilery imo.
Yeah, as far as I remember, it was the Art Director that spoke about how P2 is all about murdering your maker and some of the sites I found. Yeah, it is very spoiler-y, even more so considering the fact the P2 tries to have suspense. It was never on cover though.

just as bad as those ASM2 trailers. i stayed away from any marketing of that film because i learned my lesson from the first movie. but i saw the trailers and said "THEY'VE BASICALLY SHOWN US THE ENTIRE MOVIE IN THE FIRST 2 TRAILERS". ugh. but its whatever. the best a person CAN do is try to ignore them. i know thats ****ty advice, but thats all i got.

The hell are you saying, man? It's the best advice one can give. Even I try to stay away from movie trailers

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
i never considered the joker reveal to be a "teaser" @Pale Rider and @Shadow . i'd like to hear more about that.

I felt the same way as Pale Rider. I certainly didn't expect much more about Joker in the Arkham series given AC and Hamill quitting the role, so it was something kinda exciting to look forward to in a game I was already looking forward to. Like PR said, his role was pretty much a mystery aside from him being there, so...y'know...it wasn't like they actually said, "hey, guys, guess what?! =D" Cuz that would have just been an unforgivable spoiler for me. /==

just as bad as those ASM2 trailers. i stayed away from any marketing of that film because i learned my lesson from the first movie. but i saw the trailers and said "THEY'VE BASICALLY SHOWN US THE ENTIRE MOVIE IN THE FIRST 2 TRAILERS". ugh. but its whatever. the best a person CAN do is try to ignore them. i know thats ****ty advice, but thats all i got.
The hell are you saying, man? It's the best advice one can give. Even I try to stay away from movie trailers

Agreed. Movies just keep getting shorter and movie trailers just keep getting longer. Movies have even less time to explain things than a game, so it's weird to me how they just want to throw out the entire storyline before anyone even watches it. Soon enough, we won't even need to go to the movies to know 99% of the story. :banghead: *tries to avoid movie trailers so she can actually watch the movie when she sees it*

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Dropping a name or two is oay in my book. But anything like major plot twists, well, I can see why those would upset people.

For me, however, it depends. Sometimes if I come across part of a major spoiler by accident, it makes me even more curious to play the game or see the movie and find out how that spoiler happens.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
For me, however, it depends. Sometimes if I come across part of a major spoiler by accident, it makes me even more curious to play the game or see the movie and find out how that spoiler happens.

^This. The reason I asked if it was annoying to know about DmC Dante-Vergil fight was this. Curiosity to know why/how. To elaborate, I experienced that recently. I was watching Snake Eyes with my friend and he, being the douche he's, told me who was the main conspirator. After some warranted cussing, I asked why was the conspirator doing that, to which his reply was, "Watch and find out."

That should've been something for the gamers to uncover themselves.
Revealing who's who & what's what in trailers then what's the point of going through the motions.

It's like this, you start the game knowing the main baddie is front of you then what's stopping you from taking them out within the first 10minutes of the game.
Why trounce through swamps, 30city blocks, kill 1million lesser badguys, use up resources when i know who it is?
Especially if they're dumb enough to parade the main baddie in front of me within the first 10 minutes of the game after advertizing who it is.

I just wasted $60 for a game i ended in 10 minutes because the trailers revealed the main badguy to me before i bought the game.

Showing only the existence of a character, not anything related to that character. I know you made it clear that even the names ruin the experience for you, so I understand.

Edit:
On a completely unrelated side-note, I think the Joker reveal was so well done that it itself warranted a trailer.

*Batman thrown in smashing through the door*
The Joker: Nice of you to drop in. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I found it silly myself, but there were people who got annoyed by that.

Let's try another example. Imagine DmC came out today, and you somehow came to know that you'd have to fight Vergil. Will it annoy you? Or will it cause the game to be spoiled for you?
Yep that would have been a major spoiler. Rule of thumb (I thought anyway) would be not to mention any details that are not revealed by the developers themselves. Or before the game is globally released.
After a game is released on global scale, all is fair in game chat. If people still want to kick up a fuss about spoilers then, just ignore them. Or tell them to go to a different thread. Or put your entire post in spoiler tags-they can't say they weren't warned.

dreadnought_dante

And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow
i dont think think cepra demon is a spoiler. that boss is not connected to plot anyway. you can finish the game without killing him. And you have to kill a bunch of cepra demon later.

Top Bottom