• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Heavenly Sword Movie Trailer

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014

Never played the game myself due to my hatred of Ninja Theory and their crap games.

But why Heavenly Sword? There's plenty of games out there that Sony owns where they could make loads more money with a CG film, like God of War or Uncharted, instead they have to waste their efforts and money on Heavenly Sword.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Strange that a movie adaption of this comes out now.

But is that Alfred Molina and Thomas Jane I see? Alright. I'll check it out now out of curiosity.

For the record God of War and Uncharted are already getting movies.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yeah, **** Heavenly Sword. I hope it crashes and burns and never comes back into existence.

Seriously though, Thomas Jane can turn just about anything into gold, imho.

Reactions: Jak

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Seriously though, Thomas Jane can turn just about anything into gold, imho.
]

Thomas Jane is pretty awesome. Great actor. Dude, he made a Punisher short film with his buddies for comic con and I'm just now hoping for another Punisher movie with him as Frank Castle and also hopefully directing it. While undeniably flawed I did actually enjoy the first Punisher movie.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The thing bothering me with this is that the graphics from the actual game are better than the graphics in the movie.:p Plus, the game was more like a movie than a game, so I'm not sure why they're making a movie of it in the first place. Even so, I think I'll check it out.

IncarnatedDemon

The thing bothering me with this is that the graphics from the actual game are better than the graphics in the movie.:p Plus, the game was more like a movie than a game, so I'm not sure why they're making a movie of it in the first place. Even so, I think I'll check it out.
Watch this, then think about the message of the video in context to game business:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Premium
not against it but not psyched about it.

someone call me when we get a jak and daxter cartoon>_<

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Never played the game myself due to my hatred of Ninja Theory and their crap games.
Heeeeey I liked Enslaved :'(.

But to answer your question I don't really know. I figured that Heavenly Sword film was made as a tie-in maybe to a Heavenly Sword sequel they could be working on. Depends how many projects they have going right now.

Never finished that game though, the evil form of Andy Serkis really had it in for me and the 'shaking yo control' to throw enemies up into the air did me in. I might go back to it one day, but blah, enjoyed Enslaved more. I wish that could've gotten a movie instead, but only if they brought back that guy who worked on he script [did 28 Days Later I think]

Then again maybe not, those graphics don't look mindblowing for a film. But meh I'll give it a watch.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Heeeeey I liked Enslaved :'(.

But to answer your question I don't really know. I figured that Heavenly Sword film was made as a tie-in maybe to a Heavenly Sword sequel they could be working on. Depends how many projects they have going right now.
I might try Heavenly Sword and Enslaved out of curiosity since they're dirt cheap now, but I still don't get what's so loved about those games, whenever I hear or see "Ninja Theory", I just see wasted effort on actors, writing and graphics with awful gameplay......and "ruined Devil May Cry".

But I'd prefer if Uncharted or God of War movies were made, they should be CG movies, because then Nolan North and TC Carson can play their characters and the actual developers can do the movies justice to the franchises, live action movies just screw everything up.
Although I do give credit to Halo for experimenting with the Live Action Forward unto Dawn, that was a good step for a Halo movie.

Railazel

I might try Heavenly Sword and Enslaved out of curiosity since they're dirt cheap now, but I still don't get what's so loved about those games, whenever I hear or see "Ninja Theory", I just see wasted effort on actors, writing and graphics with awful gameplay......and "ruined Devil May Cry".

Heavenly Sword is considered Ninja Theory's best work and the best story to have ever come out of the Hack n' Slash genre. Yes, even better than God of War. Why? Consider it a matter of preference but it was very innovative since it was the first to use facial capturing technology to bring out the character's emotions more vividly than ever before, Nariko was a great heroine considering her backstory and personality, and the story was very very deep. Its only major fault was gameplay since it had framerate issues and it wasn't very innovative in any sense.

Enslaved was also highly- praised, either due to being in the shadow of Heavenly Sword or the story was good by itself or maybe both. The story was very good with the main focus being the relationship between the two main characters, Monkey and Trip. Again, the major problem was gameplay with (again) framerate issues popping up and even some glitches.

Really, Ninja Theory isn't that bad of a company but it's becoming apparent that gameplay isn't their forte. Also, basing their games off of other works doesn't help them much either. Take Enslaved and DmC. Even though I said Enslaved's story was very good, Monkey and Trip were sort of cliche since their relationship was based off of their nearly- opposing personalities slowly warming up to each other and some people had trouble finding Trip relatable or even likable considering what she did during the first part of the game. As for DmC... well... we've all played the game so I'll just leave that review to you.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people

But I'd prefer if Uncharted or God of War movies were made, they should be CG movies, because then Nolan North and TC Carson can play their characters and the actual developers can do the movies justice to the franchises, live action movies just screw everything up.
Although I do give credit to Halo for experimenting with the Live Action Forward unto Dawn, that was a good step for a Halo movie.
I wouldn't mind Uncharted or God of War as live action movies, or God of War anyway [there was a trailer for the recent one that was played by real actors wasn't there?] But it would all come down to budget and getting decent people behind them to make those films good. Game to movie adaptations often suffer @_@. The Silent Hill film was okay, but they really should've let the husband be the main lead of the film and not swap the names around aaaah.

Heavenly Sword really wasn't my thing. Enslaved though, it has this film narrative different than I was used to seeing in games, and it was my first time seeing facial mocap like the game had too. This was a few years before things like The Walking Dead Game and The Last of Us came out, so back then that narrative stuff did take me by surprise. Nowadays it's just become something we're used to seeing more, that and characters expressing more human emotions in their faces like Quantic Dreams have done.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
can't we just leave heavenly sword alone. i love the game. don't give it a sequel. it works great on it's own. movie adaptation, i'm cool with it.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You know, that image in the vid (the one where the main character is falling and looks shocked) will probably end up as NT's version of Sonic's "face of infamy".
opb053editcur0060.jpg

lol, this pic will never get old.

Reactions: Jak

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
You know, that image in the vid (the one where the main character is falling and looks shocked) will probably end up as NT's version of Sonic's "face of infamy".
opb053editcur0060.jpg

lol, this pic will never get old.
What, the hell IS that thing!? o_o

And I wish Sonic the Hedgehog would get rebooted. I liked that one game they made recently where the old mute Sonic was featured in it [I only saw cutscenes though didn't play it]. I don't know why they don't do something fresh with that guy.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
And I wish Sonic the Hedgehog would get rebooted. I liked that one game they made recently where the old mute Sonic was featured in it [I only saw cutscenes though didn't play it].
I think Sonic Unleashed was supposed to be the reboot. Then they rebooted again with Sonic Colors. Then they decided to just retcon everything and put it into Sonic Generations (the one you watched with the old Sonic).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
What, the hell IS that thing!? o_o

And I wish Sonic the Hedgehog would get rebooted. I liked that one game they made recently where the old mute Sonic was featured in it [I only saw cutscenes though didn't play it]. I don't know why they don't do something fresh with that guy.

They tried that and they failed horribly.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Plus Sonic Adventure was technically a reboot since it really didn't continue the story of the previous 2D games before it and showed elements never present in the original 2D games such as humans or human civilizations and well everything Sonic Adventure & Adventure 2 as well as Shadow the Hedgehog.

Story wise Sonic stopped with Shadow the Hedgehog....it would've continued with Sonic 06 if it didn't literally retcon itself out of canon making everything that happened in Sonic 06 never happened. Now its basically one shot adventures where some random sh*t happens and is irrelevant in the next games or in general really.

Top Bottom