• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

GoW questions

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
so i typed in best hack and slash in youtube, and most of the results are too weird, ridiculous and obnoxious for my taste, but most have the same thing in common, GoW as number 1..

how good exactly is the game? i've never played it and seeing the videos the game is closest to the first Lords of Shadow, and personally LoS has nothing on gameplay, it's floaty, unresponsive and just took it's time.. the whole that is LoS was what made it great, not the h/s part..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
depends. its pretty casual, second is the best imho. First and third one were kinda boring though

absolitude

Pretty darn good in my opinion. The GOW franchise is my second favorite hack and slash franchise after DMC. Any person who likes H&S games should give GOW a try.
how does it feel? am i right about castlevania LoS's gameplay being the closest to it?

depends. its pretty casual, second is the best imho. First and third one were kinda boring though
and most of the list i saw listed GoW 3 as the number 1 h/s game.. i guess they're officially ridiculous, lol..

Absent Nova

Phantom Thief
God of War has great music, visuals and lots of gore. In terms of gameplay, its fun but nothing special compared to how much more freedom you have in other hack n slash games like DMC and Bayo. Overall its a great series (with the exception of Ascension) but not as good as DMC in my opinion.

absolitude

God of War has great music, visuals and lots of gore. In terms of gameplay, its fun but nothing special compared to how much more freedom you have in other hack n slash games like DMC and Bayo. Overall its a great series (with the exception of Ascension) but not as good as DMC in my opinion.

yeah, i'm thinking the game fascinate the list makers the same way i was fascinated by LoS.. it's more about the whole package instead of the gameplay alone

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I personally liked the 1st GoW (only played 1,2 and the PSP titles though). It's more of an adventure, nothing that really warrants a second playthrough in my opinion (I finished it 100% back in the day).
LoS is close but has more freedom in combat as far as I can recall. GoW is also linear, no levels or anything, it's one big trip, so if you want to replay a certain part it's either a new game or a save before that.

GoW2 gave players more freedom in terms of combat but in my opinion a lot of the puzzles were bad, as well as the story overall. Kratos character pretty much degenerates in this game (my personal opinion though).

Overall the games are pretty solid, but I'd compare them to the uncharted games as in they are a big budget trip with really good set pieces but nothing I'd play over and over again. (I did finish 1 and 2 on the highest difficulty out of pure boredom and having nothing else in the genre to play at the time).

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
and most of the list i saw listed GoW 3 as the number 1 h/s game.. i guess they're officially ridiculous, lol..
GoW3 has prettiest visuals. But than it has smallest most boring levels, backtracking, unoriginal bosses, and probably one of worst conclusion final fights.

absolitude

I personally liked the 1st GoW (only played 1,2 and the PSP titles though). It's more of an adventure, nothing that really warrants a second playthrough in my opinion (I finished it 100% back in the day).
LoS is close but has more freedom in combat as far as I can recall. GoW is also linear, no levels or anything, it's one big trip, so if you want to replay a certain part it's either a new game or a save before that.

GoW2 gave players more freedom in terms of combat but in my opinion a lot of the puzzles were bad, as well as the story overall. Kratos character pretty much degenerates in this game (my personal opinion though).

Overall the games are pretty solid, but I'd compare them to the uncharted games as in they are a big budget trip with really good set pieces but nothing I'd play over and over again. (I did finish 1 and 2 on the highest difficulty out of pure boredom and having nothing else in the genre to play at the time).

i only watched my friend playing the first GoW or the second i forgot, he's a damn good h/s player and most games, it runs in their family, so i kinda believe everything he says about a game..

so when he played the game and i was there, well the game was more flashy than DMC3, kinda catch our attention, and i asked my friend "why the hell would play this stupid game?" --i'm biased, i don't like the barbaric, raw, brute design, and he replied "are you kidding? this game is way better than DMC3", i said to myself "shut the **** up", after that i don't know what to believe anymore, XD..

but seriously i'm biased, kinda hard for me to get myself into something if i don't like one of the most important thing that could get me into it.. and now that you've mentioned LoS have more freedom in combat --i don't know story-wise, i could say those lists i've watched really confuse me, it's all a matter of taste in the end i think..

GoW3 has prettiest visuals. But than it has smallest most boring levels, backtracking, unoriginal bosses, and probably one of worst conclusion final fights.
gee, if i could take your words for it, those are like some of the most important aspecst to judge and they make it #1, huh..

absolitude

you played ninja gaiden?
no, but i've tried on my friend's and it's not so easy as i remembered, dunno if it was the control or it is indeed hard, few of my friends are hardcore for gaiden since the nes era, and they kept telling me to play it, too bad i don't own a ps3/x360

Each game improves from a game play perspective. The story gets kind of uninteresting after the first one though.
well they did it right then, that's how series should be..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
no, but i've tried on my friend's and it's not so easy as i remembered, dunno if it was the control or it is indeed hard, few of my friends are hardcore for gaiden since the nes era, and they kept telling me to play it, too bad i don't own a ps3/x360
Its really great. If you ever have possibility try it. You can also try Killer is dead (not really hardcore but HnS nevertheless). And there are also Darksiders 2. Also you already played Darksiders, right?

Top Bottom