• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Going mental

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angel;263619 said:
I'll do a compromise of sorts - I'll post something I have long-since left alone with characters I haven't really developed at all but is still in keeping with my usual writing style. It will suck, I warn you all now, but might have something in there that could give ideas as to a plot I could use for some of my other stuff?

Of course. If there is a way for me to help you by reading your fan fiction, I will do that.:)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
As anyone with a modicum of writing ability will no doubt be pointing out very soon - it sucks. I promise you that.

Nicodemus Zamoran

The Hellslayer Knight
Angel;263619 said:
I'll do a compromise of sorts - I'll post something I have long-since left alone with characters I haven't really developed at all but is still in keeping with my usual writing style. It will suck, I warn you all now, but might have something in there that could give ideas as to a plot I could use for some of my other stuff?

If you feel that it sucks, get someone to write your stories with you. My first<and only> story I wrote that I did alone wasn't written so well. The others, however, are much better, evn though they are not perfect or likable to everyone. I plan on rewriting RE#1 and such so that it will be better. Stories are not always the issue, it is the way it is written. ALl it needs is another perspective.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I have. And I'm sorely tempted to remove it already. It really is utterly, utterly dreadful.

:(

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Angel;263591 said:
Thanks for the input, you guys. I think another of my problems is I give too much information - like, all the time. I feel the need to describe every visual element in as much detail as possible - kind of like I'm writing pictures, if that makes sense. I'm very visual anyway and lean towards the descriptive rather than the narrative, which is not a good thing, I'm guessing.

I've got a great group of characters who I am not willing to let die and two evil entities which I have put a lot of energy and time into, so they have to stay too. I'd like to try and mix both fantasies together if possible and forgo the good-vs-evil-vs-magical objects type thing altogether if I can.

I just don't know how to plot it out so I have something to work from. Also, like I've said before in another thread, the last time I showed anyone my work they destroyed it so I'm loath to put it here :(

YAY! A fellow fantasy writer! :D

Look, there are some books out there (The Book of Mischief by...can't remember author name :\) that start off with detailed descriptions of the setting that can take up to 5-9 pages before the actual story is put into motion. We are visual beings, so hampering on descriptions and detailing your visuals is not a bad thing at all. PLUS, the setting is considered to be another character in the story, one that is just as important as your protagonist and secondary character. Without it, the story won't feel complete. So the amount of effort and love and sweat and swearing you put into getting your main characters right, should also be put into creating your setting and bringing the reader into your world.

Anyway, the problem with writing fantasy is that just about everything has already been done and you need to really challenge what you know about it to take fantasy to the next level. There are dragons, knights, princes, castles, horses. There's a damsel in distress, and a love interest or two, there's magic and sorcerers and flying pigs and what have you. The really hard thing is making your fantasy stand out from all others, because quite frankly most fantasies I've read are bloody brilliant, yet they all kinda blend together because the elements they harbour are pretty much the same. It takes a lot of work, and a lot of thinking work, to make yours as original as you can while staying true to the line of fantasy.

I'd suggest that you take your protagonist and establish what his goal is in your story. Is it to save someone? Is it to make a decision that will affect a multitude? What is his/her purpose? Then come up with counter plots that will make it hard for your protagonist to reach their goal, eg. the protagonist has to save the damsel BUT he has to swim across an ogre infested swamp first, where he is captured in an ogre trap and OH NOES now he has to somehow convince the ogres that he's not that tasty BUT he knows someone who is (would be the antagonist) and he tells them some secret signal that the whole realm will hear/see/feel that would be their cue for SUPPER TIME at [insert location]...and then maybe once he gets past them he gets lost and stumbles upon a colony of singing gnomes who want to take him prisoner and he has to fight them off...etc etc...until FINALLY he reaches the damsel and saves her, but OI! the antagonist appears at the last second to spoil his victory and the hero sends out his signal...and the ogres come and eat the antagonist, and everyone lives happily ever after. Or not. They could have the damsel for dessert.

Anyway, I got carried away there. But you see what I'm saying though, right? There can't be character growth without conflict, and conflict can only take shape when the odds are against the protagonist reaching their goal/fulfilling their purpose.

Top Bottom