• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Going mental

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
AAAAARGH!

Sorry, I have writer's block and I cannot shift it and I'm getting so annoyed I could headbutt a squirrel. I can start but I can't finish. I have no idea where my plot, if there even is one, is going right now and I don't even know what I'm expecting to happen.

I can't plan for toffee, I can't think for fudge and I can't get further than 3000 words for this one story I'm stuck on. Another one which is only about 27,000 words and nowhere near completed needs completely re-editing and a third one just won't end properly.

Grrrr.....:mad:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angel;263556 said:
AAAAARGH!

Sorry, I have writer's block and I cannot shift it and I'm getting so annoyed I could headbutt a squirrel. I can start but I can't finish. I have no idea where my plot, if there even is one, is going right now and I don't even know what I'm expecting to happen.

I can't plan for toffee, I can't think for fudge and I can't get further than 3000 words for this one story I'm stuck on. Another one which is only about 27,000 words and nowhere near completed needs completely re-editing and a third one just won't end properly.

Grrrr.....:mad:

Hey, relax big sis. Have a coffee first and indulge us with your big writer's problem.

Nicodemus Zamoran

The Hellslayer Knight
Stop writing for a minute. Read over the work, and see if any random ideas pop into your head. It works for me. Probably will work for you. I hope it helps.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Two are of the fantasy genre and one is a diary-style piece. The diary one I can't finish and the fantasy ones are bordering on being so predictable it's painful to look at.

I just need one original plot idea and I'd be at least some of the way to moving forward...I can create characters, names, places, backstories - you name it. But I cannot for the life of me create a genuinely original and interesting plot. I just fail :(

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Go with Nic's idea. It's what I do when writer's block strikes.

It's easy to start a fic. Not so easy to end it.

EDIT: I don't worry about originality when I write stuff. Hell, my story "Unfailing Innocence" has a much overused plot. But it's still popular to the people, so I continue to work... Well, until recently, when I got the same problem you have...

Nicodemus Zamoran

The Hellslayer Knight
Then randomly combine things. Take used ideas, combine them in some way, and you may just come out with some random, original, yet unoriginal, plot. Add unforseen twists and such. I got one that may surprise a few for my RE#4-II... Ijust have to finish the story for you to see it.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angel;263565 said:
Two are of the fantasy genre and one is a diary-style piece. The diary one I can't finish and the fantasy ones are bordering on being so predictable it's painful to look at.

I just need one original plot idea and I'd be at least some of the way to moving forward...I can create characters, names, places, backstories - you name it. But I cannot for the life of me create a genuinely original and interesting plot. I just fail :(

The fantasy fan fiction, what is the story about?

NOTE: I can't comment diary style fan fiction, as I have no experience writing one.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
That's the big problem - I have no idea what they are supposed to be about :lol:

I started off with the tired old good-versus-evil stuff involving magic and what have you but it just got so...predictable and embarrassing. I just couldn't bring myself to make it anything halfway decent.

the second fantasy one is more of the same but without magic and instead about rising up against those in government...again, probably too intelligent for me to cope with.

Nicodemus Zamoran

The Hellslayer Knight
Angel;263577 said:
That's the big problem - I have no idea what they are supposed to be about :lol:

I started off with the tired old good-versus-evil stuff involving magic and what have you but it just got so...predictable and embarrassing. I just couldn't bring myself to make it anything halfway decent.

the second fantasy one is more of the same but without magic and instead about rising up against those in government...again, probably too intelligent for me to cope with.

The good/evil thing is present in most of my stories, butr add some plot twists. Like people changing sides,unexpected deaths, time travels, perilous journeys, creepy spots, action scenes. Stuff like that.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angel;263577 said:

Why don't you include some crazy plot twists in the fantasy fan fiction? Perhaps it will be great.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
well....for the first one, maybe rethink the story a bit....shift the characters and aim for something no one would expect...all things need alterations....for example Bioshock's story changed drastically from at it originally was supposed to be and look at how amazing it is now...i'd be happy to read through and give suggestions

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Thanks for the input, you guys. I think another of my problems is I give too much information - like, all the time. I feel the need to describe every visual element in as much detail as possible - kind of like I'm writing pictures, if that makes sense. I'm very visual anyway and lean towards the descriptive rather than the narrative, which is not a good thing, I'm guessing.

I've got a great group of characters who I am not willing to let die and two evil entities which I have put a lot of energy and time into, so they have to stay too. I'd like to try and mix both fantasies together if possible and forgo the good-vs-evil-vs-magical objects type thing altogether if I can.

I just don't know how to plot it out so I have something to work from. Also, like I've said before in another thread, the last time I showed anyone my work they destroyed it so I'm loath to put it here :(

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angel;263591 said:
Thanks for the input, you guys. I think another of my problems is I give too much information - like, all the time. I feel the need to describe every visual element in as much detail as possible - kind of like I'm writing pictures, if that makes sense. I'm very visual anyway and lean towards the descriptive rather than the narrative, which is not a good thing, I'm guessing.

I've got a great group of characters who I am not willing to let die and two evil entities which I have put a lot of energy and time into, so they have to stay too. I'd like to try and mix both fantasies together if possible and forgo the good-vs-evil-vs-magical objects type thing altogether if I can.

I just don't know how to plot it out so I have something to work from. Also, like I've said before in another thread, the last time I showed anyone my work they destroyed it so I'm loath to put it here :(

Don't say that. You should try putting it at the fan fictions forums so that all of us can read and judge ourselves first. Although, I predicted that your fan fiction will be great. I always love great fantasy stories. :D

There must be a way to make your fantasy fan fiction to become different than the rest of other fantasy stories, however, only you can do that. I believe you can do that, Angel. :D

EDIT: What about putting some epic, tragic love sub-plot in it?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Chaos Master;263596 said:
Don't say that. You should try putting it at the fan fictions forums so that all of us can read and judge ourselves first. Although, I predicted that your fan fiction will be great. I always love great fantasy stories. :D

There must be a way to make your fantasy fan fiction to become different than the rest of other fantasy stories, however, only you can do that. I believe you can do that, Angel. :D

EDIT: What about putting some epic, tragic love sub-plot in it?
That's very nice of you to say, but I don't think my super-thin skin could take it :lol: I have very little skills when it comes to writing and it would be painfully obvious to all if I showed anything of mine here.

As for tragic love sub-plots, well I avoid them like the plague because they ruin a good book for me, so I would hate to do that in anything I write. I might include a history involving a tragic romance of some kind by way of explaining the behaviour of a current character but usually I stay well away from romance.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Angel;263606 said:
That's very nice of you to say, but I don't think my super-thin skin could take it :lol: I have very little skills when it comes to writing and it would be painfully obvious to all if I showed anything of mine here.

Go on, post it Angel-Face, we won't destroy it, all we'll do is offer good, constructive criticism for you, might help you get some ideas on where to go with the story, as well as where to improve. ^^

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I'll do a compromise of sorts - I'll post something I have long-since left alone with characters I haven't really developed at all but is still in keeping with my usual writing style. It will suck, I warn you all now, but might have something in there that could give ideas as to a plot I could use for some of my other stuff?

Top Bottom