• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game over for GAME?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
GAME fears grow after Street Fighter X Tekken and Asura's Wrath no-sale

Capcom has joined EA and Nintendo in the increasingly long list of publishers whose titles are not being sold at GAME and Gamestation, as the chains miss out on two of this week's big new releases and prompt renewed fears they will soon shut up shop.

Despite being the biggest release of the year so far you won't be able to find a copy of Mass Effect 3 at either GAME or Gamestation this Friday. And now apparently you won't be able to buy Capcom's Street Fighter X Tekken or Asura's Wrath there either.
'Unfortunately Capcom must confirm that Street Fighter x Tekken for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and Asura's Wrath, both scheduled for release on Friday March 9, will not be stocked by GAME or Gamestation either in their retail outlets or on their online stores operating in the UK and Ireland,' said Capcom in a statement.

'Capcom wants to reassure its consumers that both these titles, including the Special Edition of Street Fighter X Tekken, will be available at a wide variety of retailers across the UK and Ireland, the statement continued.

For those consumers who have already placed a deposit for a pre-order for any of these titles then a full refund will be available - please contact your local GAME or Gamestation shop or visit the online stores.

All these titles listed above are available for pre-order or to purchase on day of release from the following outlets: HMV, Play.com, Amazon.co.uk, ShopTo.net, The Hut and leading independent stockists as well as supermarket chains.'

The game's are both missing from GAME's website, but currently Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is still listed. The multiplayer-focused spin-off is Capcom's next big release this year and due out on March 23.

According to Capcom 'no decision has been made' as to whether GAME will be stocking the game. If they do then it may indicate that GAME's problems are in indeed only passing. If it too is not stocked then many will begin to fear the worse.

GAME's problems started at the beginning of the year when it lost its credit insurance and many publishers began to demand payment in advance before they sent new stock. That's something GAME has been unable to do and as a result it's already missed many of the year's biggest games.

Whether they can recover depends largely on who you ask but newspaper reports earlier in the week suggested that GAME bosses were considering pulling the plug on the business. Other rumours suggest that US giant GameStop is interesting in buying out all or some of the stores.

So, it's really no big secret in the UK gaming world that GAME is in 'it' way past their necks.
I'm relieved that i talked to my personal accountant (the sane woman that is my mother ;) ) who told me to get the games elsewhere.
I would love to see GAME come out of the other side of this, but atm, i can't see it happening. Plus, with publisher not having their games sold there, GAME will never get the chance to get out of the other side.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
Oh noes! I'm gonna miss gamestation if it goes. I don't really buy from shops anymore, I mostly order from Amazon or something just because it's cheaper. I just love browsing the shops and talking to the guys about new game info. I loved the shops when they used to sell PS1 games but they don't really do that anymore. I buy consoles in store though, got my Gears Xbox from gamestation. I wouldn't buy them online for some reason.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
It would be a terrible shame if GAME were to go under, not least because of the number of employees whom would be left in the lurch. They often have terrific deals running and their prices are very competitive. Amazon UK and GAME are pretty much the only two places I'll use to shop for games, to be honest. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that their troubles come to an end nice and soon.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Ive always found Game to be behind the times, I used to go in there every day when I was at college and in the multiple branches I went in most the staff were clueless. Their console bundles were always overpriced as were their games, always seemed to be at least £5 more expensive per game than everywhere else. Only game I ever bought from Game was L.A. Noire because their pre-order pack was the best and the game arrived after release. Be a shame for the UK games industry if they do go bust because they will take Gamestation with them and Gamestation recently acquired a company ive used a lot over the years (Gameplay). So all 3 would go if Game end up going properly bust.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Hmm. I do remember that GAME always seemed pricier than other retail outlets, even way back in 1999 when there was less people buying on the internet/less outlets and the prices of games were closer to the £45-50 mark... (I actually have a copy of Resident Evil 2 for PSX with the "ACME Games Shop" price sticker still on it... £44.99 RRP); although between GAME and independent smalI games stores, prices were in GAME's favour then. Guess it's a dog-eat-dog world out there and with so many other outlets selling games for less, GAME would eventually go under. I mean when you've got places like ShopTo giving you next day delivery and selling the games for several quid less, I'm surprised GAME's been going as long as it has because people really have tightened their belts in response to the recession, etc. Even supermarkets often sell games cheaper than GAME does. And there's Amazon, eBay, etc. a lot of stiff competition for them.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Hmm. I do remember that GAME always seemed pricier than other retail outlets, even way back in 1999 when there was less people buying on the internet/less outlets and the prices of games were closer to the £45-50 mark... (I actually have a copy of Resident Evil 2 for PSX with the "ACME Games Shop" price sticker still on it... £44.99 RRP); although between GAME and independent smalI games stores, prices were in GAME's favour then. Guess it's a dog-eat-dog world out there and with so many other outlets selling games for less, GAME would eventually go under. I mean when you've got places like ShopTo giving you next day delivery and selling the games for several quid less, I'm surprised GAME's been going as long as it has because people really have tightened their belts in response to the recession, etc. Even supermarkets often sell games cheaper than GAME does. And there's Amazon, eBay, etc. a lot of stiff competition for them.

Yeah exactly what I thought and Zavvi have started to get bigger and offer great deals too (their stores all closed due to competition beating them on in store prices). I think im going to start shopping for my games at ShopTo as they seem really good and heard lots of good things. I use gaming price comparison sites to find the best deals for my games.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've used ShopTo - they're pretty good! The only prob is the search function on their website... it doesn't seem to work. But I've bought before and the games have arrived pronto, plus they're cheap.

Haven

Devil May Cry's a Rockin Baby!
Never was a big fan of GAME, I've always thought their prices were ridiculous. Gamestation on the other hand, is one of my main resources for video games; and I would sad to see them go :'(

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I've just looked looked on Shopto and Zavvi and they are/were a little more expensive than GAME for Asura's Wrath (HMV knocked down their price to what GAME were selling it for.)

I assume that had Capcom stocked GAME with... the games, I'd get my copy of AW on release... and not sometime later like HMV.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
If GAME are folding, I expect they will start selling stock off at cheaper prices than usual.

Top Bottom