• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Informer Oct. Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

old gamer

I just got my Oct. issue of Game Informer and they have an in depth article about DMC4.Now I really am going to start saving for a PS3. Even though Dante is not going to be the main playable character,he will be in the game. The new combat with Nero's arm looks incredible,and from the looks of the one boss they show,this is going to be a wicked game.

Crimson Lucy

Tell us something we DONT know.

I'm gonna go ahead and doubt the magazine is worth buying since gaming magazines are only as current as when they were printed, and the TGS is tomorrow.

old gamer

Game Informer gets a lot of insider intel because it is published by the owners of Game Stop and EB Games,yes the info is up to date,they have some kick-a** pictures of actual game footage,their information is from a visit with Capcom,not hearsay or rumor.There's a picture of one of the bosses called Variel who is absolutely gigantic and sets everything around him on fire.There's a quote from Hiroyuki Kobayashi saying"just because Nero's in the game doesn't mean Dante isn't.Dante does appear"

Chrysander

Hey thanks for the link, but you need to be a subscriber to get access to it :( and for some reason it won't let me sign up either! Ahrr! So can you copy and paste the text into this thread? That'd be cool

old gamer

DEVIL MAY CRY 4 ISSUE ON SALE NOW!

Subscribe | Customer Service | My Account

Welcome Back, Jane!
Your account is Unlimited.
There are 22 new News stories since your last login on 9/22/2006.

More PlayStation Dreamcast Nintendo 64 Game Boy SNES NES NGAGE Genesis Sega Saturn Mac

POSTED: 9/20/2006 6:23 PM

Capcom's stylishly violent franchise is coming only to the PlayStation 3, and we have the exclusive first info on the game. The original Devil May Cry producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi is back on the job for this installment, and a new main character will fight the forces of darkness in Dante's stead. Join us for the world-first look at one of the most exciting PS3 games around.

Game Informer: I have quite a few questions but unfortunately, a lot of them were based around Dante as the main character but I see now that he is not.

Hiroyuki Kobayashi: Users have been playing as Dante for four games now so we’re kind of worried players were bored of him. The reason for switching was because we are introducing new gameplay avenues and moving from PlayStation 2 to the PlayStation 3 with new mechanics, the easiest way to do that was with a new character. Just because Dante is not the main characters, doesn’t mean he is not in the game. In the story which is set in the city of Fortuna, Dante just sort of shows up to eliminate something call the Order of the Sword, which Nero is a part of.

GI: What is the purpose of the Order of the Sword?

Kobayashi: The Order of the Sword isn’t like this huge, world-wide religion, it’s something that is very limited to this small city. They believe in the Order of Sparda basically. The Order of the Sword is out to basically destroy demons. Now how does that work with believing in Sparda? Well Sparda believed in destroying demons for the sake of humans. There’s actually a church where they worship Sparda.

GI: Where is Fortuna geographically located?

Kobayashi: We have never really thought about that. The people on this island fully believe in the existence of demons and the need to eliminate them. The way Nero fits into all of this is that he’s a member of the Order of the Sword. He’s one of their strongest and youngest fighters. He’s not the leader of the Order, there is someone above him. But since he is a really powerful lone wolf type, he gets sent to clean up the very dirty messes.

GI: So what does Dante have against this order?

Kobayashi: Well Dante shows up in Fortuna and has something to do, but we will leave that to you to find out in the game. As far as Nero’s perspective on Dante, he sees him as a guy just trying to eliminate people in his order. So for him, Dante doesn’t seem like the kind of guy he would want to hang out with.

GI: The game was revealed back in 2005. Is there any reason why there has been so little information up until now?

Kobayashi: Well the development of Devil May Cry 4 had only started a little bit before E3 2005 so the story had not yet been decided. We just wanted to let people know that we were making Devil May Cry 4 for PlayStation 3. As that progressed, we wanted to let people get a window into our thinking and that’s what led to the TGS trailer as well.

GI: I don’t want to dwell on DMC 2, but is there any kind of pressure when making a game when there is an entry in the series that fans sort of hold as a disappointment?

Kobayashi: Well from a personal standpoint, I made Devil May Cry 1 and then left the team. So the guys making Devil May Cry 2 had a lot of pressure on them. So when I decided to make Devil May Cry 4, I sat down and played DMC 3 and realized that it was really good and they did a great job. Dante was great, it was a great game. That is how I look at it.

GI: So chronologically, DMC 4 will take place after DMC 2?

Kobayashi: The way we want you to see it is it will go from 3 to 1 to 4 as a flow of time.

GI: So are the events of 2 being discounted from the timeline?

Kobayashi: If you events of 2 are in the timeline, they occur very far after 4. In 4, the Dante is a little bit older than the Dante in DMC 1.

GI: In DMC 1 and 3, Dante is sort of a smart-alecky party guy. In 2, he’s maybe more serious and mature. Where is Dante’s personality in DMC 4?

Kobayashi: Well you will have to forgive me for not knowing about the personality of Dante in part 2 because I didn’t work on that one. In 3, Dante is very young and hot-blooded, in his teens. In 4, he is in his 30’s but he is still Dante and he is still kind of hot-blooded. Dante will always have the sort of audacious quality to him.

GI: Ok, how do you characterize Nero’s personality?

Kobayashi: As far as Nero goes, he is very similar to Dante. But in DMC 3, Dante was very crazy. Nero is shyer than that. He’s not a very straight forward guy. He’s a little more thoughtful and wavy. But he is young and so he does have that rebelliousness to him.

GI: So it’s not such a coincidence that Nero and Dante look so much alike?

Kobayashi: It’s not a coincidence, the do look much alike. DMC is a game about guns and swords.

GI: Is there an explanation given in the story?

Kobayashi: No, there is nothing in the story that will explain it. When we sat down to design DMC 4, we came up with that because it really is the coolest design for the series. Visually, having the very long, flowing coat is something that we really wanted.

Stay tuned to Game Informer Unlimited for the second and third parts of the full Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview.

Contact Us | Staff Bios | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
Customer Service | Corporate Information

Copyright 1991 - 2006 :: Game Informer Magazine

Chrysander

Hey thanks for posting this :)

This interview worries me. This guy is the producer and he didn't work on DMC3, and I would hate for him to overlook the reasons that made DMC3 so great. I hope pretty much everyone agrees that DMC3's ideas are far superior to DMC1, which by comparison is dated and clumsy in so many ways. So hearing that this guy is Producer kind of worries me, a nd just his general comments seem to suggest to me that he isn't even that clued up on what's going on with the series, he doesn't know anything about DMC2, and although he says he played DMC3 and was impressed, he may have just played it for five minutes? Who knows!

Additionally, the reason for getting rid of Dante is 'We thought the fans were getting bored' even though they have no evidence, and if they bothered to do a survey or get any fan feedback, they would have found that fans of the series didn't want a new character to replace Dante as the lead, they would have either wanted just Dante, or Dante and Vergil, or a host of characters to go alongside Dante, with Dante still as the lead. Then, the reason for Nero looking the same is just that they thought it would be cool? I am fairly sure now that Nero isn't connected to Dante, or Vergil, but there is still a tiny chance.

Anyone else a little depressed by this? If someone can cheer me up that'd be swell! :)

machindix

Chrysander;6667 said:
Hey thanks for posting this :)

This interview worries me. This guy is the producer and he didn't work on DMC3, and I would hate for him to overlook the reasons that made DMC3 so great. I hope pretty much everyone agrees that DMC3's ideas are far superior to DMC1, which by comparison is dated and clumsy in so many ways. So hearing that this guy is Producer kind of worries me, a nd just his general comments seem to suggest to me that he isn't even that clued up on what's going on with the series, he doesn't know anything about DMC2, and although he says he played DMC3 and was impressed, he may have just played it for five minutes? Who knows!

Additionally, the reason for getting rid of Dante is 'We thought the fans were getting bored' even though they have no evidence, and if they bothered to do a survey or get any fan feedback, they would have found that fans of the series didn't want a new character to replace Dante as the lead, they would have either wanted just Dante, or Dante and Vergil, or a host of characters to go alongside Dante, with Dante still as the lead. Then, the reason for Nero looking the same is just that they thought it would be cool? I am fairly sure now that Nero isn't connected to Dante, or Vergil, but there is still a tiny chance.

Anyone else a little depressed by this? If someone can cheer me up that'd be swell! :)

All I can say is... you must have faith in the censoriousness of the Japanese culture. (Does that sound cheery enough?) I'm sure that Kobayashi MUST have finished the whole DMC3 game, and that DMC4 will turn out to be kick-a** game with or without Dante or Vergil... (<---now I'm getting depressed...)

machindix

d4rkn1ght;6685 said:
ya.....................depression hasnt go away...............but it would be fun playing as Nero :D

I think Nero will be cool, but that scene in the trailer in which Dante got his face kicked still bothers me. So much humiliation in that one stroke!! It's like smacking all the Dante fans in the face!!! (Ok, I know I'm overreacting...) I showed that video to my friend and she said she couldn't bear to watch it a second time even though the trailer was awesome. She said she's going to hate Nero for that kick!! Perhaps the production team doesn't realize that they're upsetting a lot of old fans with their decision...

jigsaw_541

Gunslinger
Not to mention that they ARE bringing a new character into the franchise....this game takes place after all the others...they might kill him off in the end...I know a lot of people will hate me for saying that-but it's true, it may happen. And, yes, that kick kind of upset me, but I couldnt help but watch it again, and again, and again-to analyze it of course..

jigsaw_541

Gunslinger
I believe they changed that-saying that every game he has been in he was clean shaved-and that they wanted this to be after the second, and therefor making him look older than every other game.

KingJordan

I be tippin' down
machindix;6725 said:
I think Nero will be cool, but that scene in the trailer in which Dante got his face kicked still bothers me. So much humiliation in that one stroke!! It's like smacking all the Dante fans in the face!!! (Ok, I know I'm overreacting...) I showed that video to my friend and she said she couldn't bear to watch it a second time even though the trailer was awesome. She said she's going to hate Nero for that kick!! Perhaps the production team doesn't realize that they're upsetting a lot of old fans with their decision...

I think it's good to show people Dante getting his butt kicked a little. It adds a little flare, and I bet alot of people though Dante would handle Nero easily like a little punk. They thought wrong.:ninja:

machindix

KingJordan;6740 said:
I think it's good to show people Dante getting his butt kicked a little. It adds a little flare, and I bet alot of people though Dante would handle Nero easily like a little punk. They thought wrong.:ninja:

Even though it pains me to see Dante getting kicked in the face, I still have to agree with you on that one. I think it would be nice for him to have an equal match other than his brother... a challenger from a younger generation wouldn't be so bad. Who knows? Dante might even sympathize with Nero. I wonder if that "little punk" ever reminded him of his young, rascal self...

Chrysander

I think that one of the following will happen in the story:

* Nero eventually has a change of heart after learning more, and realises that Dante is a good guy
* Dante and Nero eventually come across a common enemy which they join forces to beat
* Nero is controlled by the arm, and Dante has to save him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom