• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Informer & DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Lexy;300137 said:
Otherwise there is no reason that I can see, other than that somebody thinks the fans are bored of the old Dante?

That's exactly it though. We've got tons of threads on this very forum where a lot of members have been complaining that Dante's character has become stale and he should be set into the background as yet another secondary player or completely scrapped from the series because 'he has no potential' and 'he has nothing to contribute to the franchise anymore' and 'his story has been told, there's no more need for Dante', etc etc. And it hasn't been a recent thing either, there's been talk about ditching Dante since DMC4 came out, just because fans got bored and tired of the same ol' Dante over and over again and again.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Lexy;300137 said:
Hoping to appeal to a lowest common denominator and sell more games.

*clink clink of moneys*

Otherwise there is no reason that I can see, other than that somebody thinks the fans are bored of the old Dante? Not a chance.

I am not claiming to be part of a very big crowd but I was desperate for Dante to be changed and taken down a few pegs. This may not be what I had in mind but I am grateful they they have decided to tear him down and start again, the old Dante was wearing on my last nerve, imo any change is good change and will greatly help incorperate him back into the limelight as a character with a purpose instead of the pointless comic relief he was in 4.

Meg

Master Vergil;300177 said:
That's exactly it though. We've got tons of threads on this very forum where a lot of members have been complaining that Dante's character has become stale and he should be set into the background as yet another secondary player or completely scrapped from the series because 'he has no potential' and 'he has nothing to contribute to the franchise anymore' and 'his story has been told, there's no more need for Dante', etc etc. And it hasn't been a recent thing either, there's been talk about ditching Dante since DMC4 came out, just because fans got bored and tired of the same ol' Dante over and over again and again.

But was it the majority that were saying those things or a very vocal minority? Its no secret there are Dante supporters on this site and I'm sure on others to. And since the complaining didn't really start until DMC4 came out then couldn't something be said that the way he was portrayed in 4 (as a secondary character that didn't do much)be the reason, or at least contribute to fans being tired of Dante?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Meg;300181 said:
But was it the majority that were saying those things or a very vocal minority? Its no secret there are Dante supporters on this site and I'm sure on others to. And since the complaining didn't really start until DMC4 came out then couldn't something be said that the way he was portrayed in 4 (as a secondary character that didn't do much)be the reason, or at least contribute to fans being tired of Dante?

I thought it was the majority. I mean we could put up a poll to see which Dante was the most loved, and that would decide whether it was majority or the vocal minority, but I know that a lot of people intensely dislike DMC4 Dante. He has very few fans (tsk tsk)

So yes, it probably only pertains to DMC4 Dante, but they can't exactly remake another DMC1 or DMC3 without bringing in something fresh and new to keep Dante's character 'alive'. And it's not specifically aimed at Dante's character either. People are comparing games and finding too many similarities (DMC3 and 4 as prime example - they even copied a fight between Vergil and Dante for Nero and Dante and changed it up a little bit), and maybe the bad reception DMC4 had made Capcom think they needed something drastic to keep the series going. And maybe they realised the series wasn't actually going anywhere at the rate they were going, hence the reboot. Else it would be the same story told differently a thousand times over.

Er...anyway, I think this was the bandage the franchise needed. Not many were happy with DMC4, and everyone loves DMC3. I think it's good that Capcom wised up to bring us something that has the potential to leave DMC3 in the dust.

-EDIT-
Here's a link to a recent poll between the Dante's:
http://forums.devilmaycry.org/showthread.php?t=20180

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm actually quite happy with DmC Dante, actually. DMC3 Dante was bad, DMC4 Dante was bad, and DMC2 Dante was out of place, so this is welcome for me.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Master Vergil;300190 said:
So yes, it probably only pertains to DMC4 Dante, but they can't exactly remake another DMC1 or DMC3 without bringing in something fresh and new to keep Dante's character 'alive'. And it's not specifically aimed at Dante's character either. People are comparing games and finding too many similarities (DMC3 and 4 as prime example - they even copied a fight between Vergil and Dante for Nero and Dante and changed it up a little bit), and maybe the bad reception DMC4 had made Capcom think they needed something drastic to keep the series going. And maybe they realised the series wasn't actually going anywhere at the rate they were going, hence the reboot. Else it would be the same story told differently a thousand times over.

If Capcom did what they did with Resident Evil 5 and bring Dante's storyline to a close where Dante takes on Mundus/Vergil once and for all and fulfills some kind of ultimate destiny it would have given DMC4/DMC5 more attention and interest than they knew what to do with I think. Nothing rekindles interest like a big explosive finale. It didn't necessarily have to be the end of the games or even Dante.
I believe the only reason his character grew stale is because they refused to deal with DMC2 and move forward because of it's bad image and assumed that Dante had the legs to carry the series without a story of his own per se. That they could afford to expand, stall and milk it for a long time yet as long as Dante was in it making jokes here and there which I think they could have got away with for a game or 2 yet they do seem to be making this move a lot sooner than I thought they ever would.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well I never got 'bored' of Dante... but then I always enjoyed the entire DMC package as a whole, the game story, the brooding gothic environments and enemies, as well as the supporting characters. I never felt that the whole thing hinged on Dante and Dante alone and he was the only thing people played for. (Which is one reason I'm prepared to give DmC a fighting chance.)

...And a story set before DMC3 would have been a natural step for the next game, I would have thought, rather than this great flash of inspiration attributed to NT developers or whatever.

But then, I know not everyone sees it like me, and evidently CAPCOM felt DMC needed an injection of something fresh or Nero wouldn't exist, or this reprequelboot.

But the idea that Dante's story has been told and he's only fit for the scrapheap now? That's kind of unimaginitive if the developers actually think that! There is everything that potentially went on before DMC... things that could have gone on between the games, Dante's sullen DMC2 era, exploring a Dante/Nero team perhaps... and maybe even Dante's ultimate conclusion or death if they are going to pass the torch to another character...

Meg

Master Vergil;300190 said:
I thought it was the majority. I mean we could put up a poll to see which Dante was the most loved, and that would decide whether it was majority or the vocal minority, but I know that a lot of people intensely dislike DMC4 Dante. He has very few fans (tsk tsk)

Er...anyway, I think this was the bandage the franchise needed. Not many were happy with DMC4, and everyone loves DMC3. I think it's good that Capcom wised up to bring us something that has the potential to leave DMC3 in the dust.

-EDIT-
Here's a link to a recent poll between the Dante's:
http://forums.devilmaycry.org/showthread.php?t=20180

That's not a fair poll. DMC3 Dante is just THAT. AWESOME. :lol:

Still, its a fair point. I do know a lot of people weren't to happy with DMC4 Dante, but it doesn't sound like people don't like Dante at all. That's what I'm getting at. With some good writing and a interesting story they could have made Dante work. To me, throwing it all away and doing something completely different is uncreative and dare I say it lazy.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Meg;300231 said:
With some good writing and a interesting story they could have made Dante work. To me, throwing it all away and doing something completely different is uncreative and dare I say it lazy.

That has Capcom stamped all over it though :lol: Maybe they couldn't get anyone in their company creative enough and that's why they sought out to find someone ELSE to be creative for them?

But you're right. That poll is SO unfair! XD

Meg

Master Vergil;300252 said:
That has Capcom stamped all over it though :lol: Maybe they couldn't get anyone in their company creative enough and that's why they sought out to find someone ELSE to be creative for them?

But you're right. That poll is SO unfair! XD

My gosh you are right! :lol:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I loved DMC4 Dante he was my favorite version of Dante so far. I never got tired of Dante, even when DMC2 came out I still loved Dante, I always felt Dante could be put in a number of situations. Dante lives in a world full of demons, demons who hate Sparda for what he did and will take their revenge out on Dante. I mean think about it, you could put Dante in so many situations that could've made 3 0r 4 more games, every DMC game brought a new story to Sparda's legend which they could've fullfilled through Dante, heck I'll say explain how Nero is related to Sparda, or bring Vergil back from the dead, or bring Eve or Sparda back from the dead! Or reveal Sparda's rejected son that nobody knew about! :)lol: That was just for me!) But you get my point Dante could've been put in a lot of roles, I agree that a reboot is too soon for a series that hasn't really blossemed yet. And I gotta ask, why does everyone hate Nero? He was a cool character. Anyway that's my 2 cents. ^_^

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda's rejected son;300298 said:
And I gotta ask, why does everyone hate Nero?

Everyone doesn't hate Nero. I just pretend I do to push DT's buttons because if Nero had been real, DT would be his spokesperson for sure. And probably his bodyguard too. :lol:

Most people do hate him though, for differing reasons such as seeing him as a threat to Dante in the sense of 'replacing' Dante for good, for his slow gameplay, for not having enough weapons, for having no styles, etc etc. The list goes on.

Btw, sorry for going OT.

kenjiharimaCU

Street Fighter Fan
Master Vergil;300395 said:
Everyone doesn't hate Nero. I just pretend I do to push DT's buttons because if Nero had been real, DT would be his spokesperson for sure. And probably his bodyguard too. :lol:

Most people do hate him though, for differing reasons such as seeing him as a threat to Dante in the sense of 'replacing' Dante for good, for his slow gameplay, for not having enough weapons, for having no styles, etc etc. The list goes on.

Btw, sorry for going OT.

It's like saying Solid Snake was replaced by Raiden. Which he wasn't. Capcom just wants to introduce a new character for extra market just Raiden is used too. Much like Alex in Street Fighter III replaces Ryu's main character focus and Onimusha games like Jubie and Soki.

If Capcom did what Konami did with Metal Gear Solid when they gone back to Naked Snake aka BigBoss and made a Sparda storyline it would be much more appropriate.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
No it's ok I brought up the Nero thing so nobody is off topic, it's all good. ^_^ I liked Nero's game play it was simple but effective. But going back to topic If this DmC game is to appeal to westerns I think they did a bad job NOT because of how Dante looks but because they changed his life. We liked Dante because he was a half human, half demon who hunts demons his father is a Legendary figure, his brother is awesome and than Nero we like. The way the story is presented you can tell this is a Japanese created game, westerns like everything and anything Japanese because its GOOD and because we all secretly wish we were Japanese or in Japan. Am I right, I believe I am. Now Dante is western ized and we don't like it because now he smokes, he looks like a punk rocker/ emo, and he is in a ward, that does NOT appeal to westerns. (at least not to me, I'm VERY old school) Is this what Japan thinks of westerns as punk rocker/emo ward nut case smokers? Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom