• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Informer & DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I got the latest Game Informer today and it had a section about games that are being rebooted and one of the games of course was DMC. This is what the Game Informer says about DmC.

"Using the newly announced Devil May Cry as an example, Jaffe furthers his point. While not sold on the new look of protagonist Dante, as a fan of the franchise he is more concerned about core character expression - namely that Dante retains his 'cocky, brash, stylish, and badass nature through cinematics and game play. To the veteran developer, tone and mood are vastly more important than maintaining the established physical presentation." Game Informer Issue 215 March 2011 page 22

It seems like that keeping Dante's personality rather than looks is the focus here. I don't recall Dante being "Brash" thou. Ok so they want to keep Dante's personality through gameplay and cut scenes ok I can accept that, only problem is Dante doesn't smoke and that DOESN'T define badass. Smoking = dumba@s
Ok people discuess.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Besides, he might not even be a smoker in the game. They might have taken it out due to it being apart of the fan backlash. I'm not even sold on him being a smoker since he might have just bought a pack of cigarette as a part of his demon killing ritual.One week, its cigarettes and next week its a tennis racket.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
You know, it's like he has a ritual where he has to find a over the top action to start off each demon kill.

fon

Crazy Chick
^Haha! I like that xD

Also, GI doesn't say something dumb. Yay. (Stopped reading them a long time ago because I hate their writers T__T)

Smoking/drugs are used a lot to represent character development anyway. They start off in a story doing all kind of drugs and crap, something changes them, and they become alright in the end. Hopefully that's how they're going to use this in DmC.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well that could be true too. But now that I think about it why so much focus on character develpment? I learned about Dante's personally from the 4 games and the anime. Also what is NT? What game are they fameus for?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Maybe they want to focus on character development because Dante endures a personality shift every game or so?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Hopfully he does quit smoking by the end of the game.

Afterall the smoking rule was created by the guy who created DMC and Dante himself where he has always explained that Dante is "to cool to smoke".

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sparda's rejected son;299833 said:
Well that could be true too. But now that I think about it why so much focus on character develpment? I learned about Dante's personally from the 4 games and the anime. Also what is NT? What game are they fameus for?

NT stands for Ninja Theory who are the developers. They are known for making games that are known for deep, intricate storytelling with compelling and fully fleshed out characters.

Meg

Z218;299861 said:
NT stands for Ninja Theory who are the developers. They are known for making games that are known for deep, intricate storytelling with compelling and fully fleshed out characters.

Only problem being their games don't have intricate storytelling with compelling and fully fleshed out characters. :lol:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Meg;299862 said:
Only problem being their games down have intricate storytelling with compelling and fully fleshed out characters. :lol:

I think you meant don't instead of down. I don't mean to nitpick or call you out or anything like that. I just couldn't understand what you meant at first glance.
Regardless of whether or not it is true, it is something they are known for and something that has got them acclaim from critics.
But I do have to respectfully disagree with you because I do think that Ninja Theory are pretty good at storytelling and creating characters. For example, I personally find Nariko and the rest of the cast of Heavenly Sword to be more compelling characters than the cast of Bayonnetta.But I'm not knocking your opinion.
Sorry if its a little long i tend to babble.

Meg

Z218;299877 said:
I think you meant don't instead of down. I don't mean to nitpick or call you out or anything like that. I just couldn't understand what you meant at first glance.
Regardless of whether or not it is true, it is something they are known for and something that has got them acclaim from critics.
But I do have to respectfully disagree with you because I do think that Ninja Theory are pretty good at storytelling and creating characters. For example, I personally find Nariko and the rest of the cast of Heavenly Sword to be more compelling characters than the cast of Bayonnetta.But I'm not knocking your opinion.
Sorry if its a little long i tend to babble.

Down? No I do believe I said don't. ;) And no I didn't just edit my post when you said that. :lol:

I never played Heavenly Sword, but I did play Enslaved. And it was just meh. >_< But if you like NT's story telling then that's good. ^_^

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Brash = Adjective: Self-assertive in a rude, noisy, or overbearing way. I think that describes Dante very well, actually ;)
It could be that the Dante kicking butt in the trailer is actually Vergil, and the Dante being tortured is actually Dante. For some reason I find it a lot more forgiving if Vergil is the one who smokes. Maybe then it will be cool. But not Dante. He's badass enough, smoking is overkill.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Was Heavenly Sword really that good? I never played it. But why NT? Capcom could've choice the veterns like Square, or Komani, or Nintendo or Sega. NT are newbies, but meh. Anyway Dante smoking is weird to me and if that was Vergil I just be disappointed. But to be honest DMC1 showed that although Dante can be cocky he can be series, so I see no area for NT to really work on.

kenjiharimaCU

Street Fighter Fan
Capcom....or should I say Keiji Infuane who left Capcom after the fan backlash on DmC, wanted a "western" Dante to appeal to the western audience. One reason they've gone to a western dev team. Took 1 year to get an approval on Dante's design.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Sparda's rejected son;300129 said:
But Westerns like n accept Dante as he is. So why the need to western ize him?

Hoping to appeal to a lowest common denominator and sell more games.

*clink clink of moneys*

Otherwise there is no reason that I can see, other than that somebody thinks the fans are bored of the old Dante? Not a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom