• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Idea

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Bad guys? But Angela-45 is a very good person, if that's who you're referring to as a bad guy...

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I meant you could draw the Aztecs. Not someone you already drew. *pats head* Calm down, amigo

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I meant you could draw the Aztecs. Not someone you already drew. *pats head* Calm down, amigo

Oh... Heh, sorry. I got a little miffed. Angie is my absolute favorite, so I got a little bit defensive. My apologies, friend.

TerrorA

Some lines from a few characters.

Jason: Yeah! Can't even touch me!

Locke: I've hated all of them since I first met them. Give me five minutes alone and you'll have all the info you'll ever need. (to his friends, later) got their plans, we should go.

Thurgood: YOU KNOW WHEN I KILL A DRAGON, I'M JUST GETTING STARTED! COME ON!

Nami: I say we kill him, just to be sure.

TheJoy

Smile with me.
You idea has some merit but i think that you need to work some aspects of the story.

What's is the tone you're going for?

What is the look you are going for if this was a real game?
Perhaps post some images of things that is close to the look you are going for.

Now forgive me if this seem a bit rude but i just want to give you my honest first impression and some constructive criticism.

I think you need to think more about the mythologies that you are using in this story and the names of the characters.

I can only give two example as they are the two that i have most knowledge of.

First the Monkey King, (Sun Wukong). I love the story of Sun Wukong, i've read it twice and the one defining thing about him is that he is indestructible. He's been boiled, put in a furnace, had his head cut off and more. The gods and Buddha could not stop him or kill him, only imprison him.

Thor and Loki is another example. In Norse mythology, upon death, and if proven worthy, your souls gos to Valhalla and so Thor and Loki would not be reincarnated.

Although i know of the other gods, I don't know enough about their mythology so i can't say weather they would work or not. But I think you can see the problem. Mixing different beliefe and mythologies is an interesting concept, but because they are all so different, you need to work more on how they work around each other and with each other.

I am interested to see what you can come up with.

Now the names.
The names are interesting but I think thy need a little work.

Jason Wukong, to me dosen't seem to fit the reincarnation of Monkey and i'll explain why. The word Sun Wukong is how you pronounce this 孙悟空 (chinese) which translate into english as Monkey King. Sun is not a name just part of a word,(Sūnwùkōng) so changing it to Jason dosen't make sense.

Just so we know, were the characters born in the countrys that their gods are from ?
If so, shouldn't they have names that originate from those countries?

Also, how come their names have parts of the gods name they are reincarnated from? Wouldn't they start as a different person altogether? Examples Ang from, Avatar The last air bender or Yu-gi-oh from Yu-gi-oh. (The only two I can think of)

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but your story has potential and I would like to see where it can go. For it to do that, these are questions that other people may ask, not just me and so they are for you to think about and improve from.

When writing a story like this, research is key. If you are going to use myths that are well known then you gonna have to make sure you have knowledge on them too. Especially if they are ones that have influence storytelling for thousands of years.

I looks forward to what you come up with in the near future for this story.

(Also, please correct me if i'm wrong about parts of the translation. Also please note, i'm not chinese nor can a read or speak the language, i just do loads of research as part of post production to a review of the 70's japanese tv show base on the tale in the future. But I am asian.)

TerrorA

I can answer a few of your questions, but thanks for the feedback.

1. The spell that imprisoned Quetzalcoatl drained the life force from the 7, which is why they died.

2. I wanted their names to be a representation of their former godhood, while still being uniquely them

3. As much as I hate to give them credit, Marvel comics was the first to theorize that Ragnarok was a reincarnation cycle for all the Norse Legends, resulting in similar personalities, but some changes (Thor's blond hair and clean shaven face, Loki's black hair and chaotic evil instead of Chaotic Good/Neutral. Odin no longer being a Guile Hero. Laufey beng a ****ING MAN!) I took inspiration from that.

I'll see if I can find a new name for Jason. It needs to connect past and future

All the Characters were either born in the countries their God-Soul was from, or are descended from there.

They do start as different people, and the God-souls are only awakened after an experience with magic. (TJ and Locke were awakened after being attacked by the ahuitzotl, a Aztec otter-dog-monkey water monster* The weapons were gifts from their dad, Westly Azir.)

As the story goes on, the team becomes more and more like their god forms. For example, Jason gains the loyalty and unselfish personality Sun Wukong gained at the end of Journey to the West.

Also, their beginning stats are a shoutout to their mythological counterparts (Locke has high intelligence and speed, but horrible stamina. Jason has high defense, agility, and attack, but he's very impulsive, leading to a low intelligence traits and can't take a magical hit at first.) (for the record, "intelligence* in this game doesn't mean how smart they are, but how often they use tactics in a fight. Locke, like Loki, uses tactics all the time, being a god of lies. Sun Wukong and Jason often rush in half cocked, if at all.)

TheJoy

Smile with me.
I'm glad to help.

However, I was wondering if you could elaborate more on your story as i feel that i'm not getting the whole pitcher. Have you got it already written? You had this in mind for a project but I don't know much about it except for your synopsis and character discriptions.

You said:
Sci-Fi versions of their weapons.

So what the setting? Judging by the info given it's the year 2223, but is the world like a utopia, dose it have a cyber punk setting, or is it post apocalypse?

Are the weapons gonna be like the Odyssey to the West video game?
(Personally not a fan of the storys ending)

1. The spell that imprisoned Quetzalcoatl drained the life force from the 7, which is why they died.

How dose Quetzalcoatl do this? Some of these gods are immortal, how dose he get around this?

2. I wanted their names to be a representation of their former godhood, while still being uniquely them
I'll see if I can find a new name for Jason. It needs to connect past and future

I'm glad your looking into Jasons name.
However their names don't have to be a representation of their former godhood. I would of thought that, that would be visually and characteristically implied. The audience will be smart enough to visually connect the characters to their god.

Like the Next Avengers, none of the characters are refereed to a name that is like their parent but we can still undertand who they are the successor to visually and characteristically.

6p0wu1.jpg

However if you're worried that the audience won't make the connection.
Take Young Justice for instance. (Tho not the best example as the characters have code names like their predecessors) During the show the characters are not always referred to as their super hero names, like Superboy or Kid Flash but as Conner and Wally. This my have conffused the audciance if not for their appearance. It's there appearance that implies which hero they are connected to.
cast.jpg

I hope that makes sense. Basically, the could have their own original names and still be seen as the successor to their connected god.

As much as I hate to give them credit, Marvel comics was the first to theorize that Ragnarok was a reincarnation cycle for all the Norse Legends, resulting in similar personalities, but some changes (Thor's blond hair and clean shaven face, Loki's black hair and chaotic evil instead of Chaotic Good/Neutral. Odin no longer being a Guile Hero. Laufey beng a ******* MAN!) I took inspiration from that.

I'm not familiar with this, could i get a link to this theory

Also i wasn't just talking about Norse Mythos, i was considering the life and death cycle of the other gods. Each mythos interprets death differently, it's weather or not reincarnation is a part of it.

Some of this is just food for thought but i would really like to know more about your story. If you don't want to go into too much detail then just pitch it to me. Or pitch it to everyone back on the Voice Actors, writers, video editors , or designers thread you have going.

Top Bottom