• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

GaiKai claims Sony or Microsoft to stop making consoles

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Microsoft or Sony to give up consoles claims Gaikai
One of the head honchos from cloud gaming service Gaikai claims that one out of either Microsoft or Sony will not create a next generation console, and may even reveal that fact at E3.

As provocative as that headline is it comes from what must be the most biased source possible. Gaikai's whole business is based on offering an alternative to the normal console set-up, with a service similar to OnLive where high end games can be played over a Web browser.

That said they could well be a major player in the years to come and chief product officer Nanea Reeves does seem to know a secret or two. 'Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3,' she said via website IndustryGamers.
Does she know that for a fact or is she just guessing? Does she know that because one of the companies has made a deal with Gaikai? Unfortunately there's no more information to go on than that one sentence.

The company in question is presumably not Nintendo, not only because they've already announced the Wii U but because their entire business model relies on selling hardware. That leaves either Microsoft or Sony and although neither has officially announced a new console both have admitted they're working on one.

We'd say Gaikai were just making stuff up to get themselves in the news, but adding in the prediction about E3 is peculiar. That means their bluff will be called relatively soon, so perhaps there will be hardware news at E3 in June, just not the kind everyone expected…

According to this ...
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/887048-no-playstation-4-announcement-at-e3-says-sony
there will be no PS4 announcement at E3.

As for GaiKai's claims, I'm sensing a bit of BS...

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
LOL I don't believe this for a second.

Microsoft and Sony are not idiots.

They know that the video gaming market is pretty darn lucrative and I doubt either of the 2 have any plans to end anytime soon.

Not to mention that "financially" they both have enough dough to keep the consoles rolling out for years.

The only thing that would really hold them back is the lack of ideas for a new console and even than Its highly unlikely IMO.

I just think whoever posted that bit of news is biased towards Nintendo IMO.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It's possible one/both of them will just delay the next gen console for longer than expected. Wasn't it supposed to be next year or the year after we are 'due' for the next console? It's been since about what, 2006, the 360 and PS3 came out? But I also doubt one will want the other company to go ahead of them and release something when there's no competition. There just hasn't been much talk that I've seen about next gen consoles. So I guess they're just not ready yet.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
It's possible one/both of them will just delay the next gen console for longer than expected. Wasn't it supposed to be next year or the year after we are 'due' for the next console? It's been since about what, 2006, the 360 and PS3 came out? But I also doubt one will want the other company to go ahead of them and release something when there's no competition. There just hasn't been much talk that I've seen about next gen consoles. So I guess they're just not ready yet.

But then there is the thing with Sony.

Judging by the other article posted a Sony exec said that they plan on a 10 year cycle for PS3 which is ridiculous IMO.

That means that they have no plans to release a PS4 until the 10 year running period with the PS3 is over which is a baaaaaaad move for Sony if Microsoft decides to unveil the Xbox 720 in the coming years.

Nintendo got the jump on the console game this year with the Wii U and If I had to guess I'm willing to bet Microsoft will not be far behind (maybe another year or 2 before announcing it) but if what was said by the Sony exec is true than Sony stands to lose alot of ground in the console wars.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yeah, any one of those companies will lose out if they don't keep up with the others and entice gamers to buy their console. I don't know many people who have all the major consoles like I do... most pick and choose one from the lot. And if Microsoft release something first, they will have the massive advantage...

Dark Drakan

Admin
People claim this sort of things all the time, that this technology is now obsolete or will be soon. That all games will go digital and we will have these super consoles that can download games in minutes from some cloud storage system. Simple fact is that the world isnt ready for this yet, for example the UK's internet speeds when compared to other places around the world is awful. Maybe once a decent infrastructure gets put into place and has been used successfully for a couple of years the big companies will start to SLOWLY switch some titles to digital distribution services but not until then.

Remember when these same people were predicting the year 2000 was going to have hover cars and hover boards replace motor vehicles around the globe.

Top Bottom