• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

For the sake of the original series

Do you think the original DMC series will stop?

• Yes, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but it doesn't have anything to do with fans' reactions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Danteredgrave

"I make the angels scream and the devil cry"
We all know that after the very first trailers of DmC there was a terrible backlash. It seems that the protests have currently stopped, which is a good think because DmC fans have the right to express their opinions freely and to love the game as much as they want. Should DmC be not regarded as a threat to the original series anymore since it has been officially claimed to be a non canonical DMC, which has absolutely no connection with its universe? It's a shame we haven't heard about the DMC fans anymore since the end of the backlash, its as if they were all dead! In such circumstances how could capcom possibly not forget us and not just go on with DmCs?

I've written this thread because I dare to believe that we don't have to do stupid things like regarding DmC fans as emo kids, sending death threats to the developers and so on to defend DMC. Tameen Antoniades did really stupid things, he directly attacked a whole fanbase but if you check the latest interviews you'll notice that he said "it didn't need a reboot" and "it's a set in a parallel universe" (not word by word but you get the idea), it implies that DmC should not prevent DMC from existing and that DMC fans therefore have no need (and I would even say no right) to fight against this game and it's newly established fanbase.

Then my questions are:
  • Do you also feel that original DMC fans are going to be forgotten by capcom and merely belong to the past if it goes on like that?
  • What can we do to prevent this from happening without leading a ridiculous and useless war that we just won't win against DmC: Devil May Cry fans?

Zilla

The inFAAMous
I've never really assumed that there are two different fan bases, instead I had just thought of it as still the same big fan base, only with a significant portion being rather disgruntled at the treatment of the series. I adore the first 4, especially 1 and 4, and I'm all behind NT with the reboot. Even during the bad spell where it was a challenge finding a YouTube video with more likes than dislikes, I was still supportive because I'm open to change, and to be honest, DmC presents a good opportunity to set the original story in stone and tell it in a much better, clearer way.

Danteredgrave

I've never really assumed that there are two different fan bases, instead I had just thought of it as still the same big fan base, only with a significant portion being rather disgruntled at the treatment of the series. I adore the first 4, especially 1 and 4, and I'm all behind NT with the reboot. Even during the bad spell where it was a challenge finding a YouTube video with more likes than dislikes, I was still supportive because I'm open to change, and to be honest, DmC presents a good opportunity to set the original story in stone and tell it in a much better, clearer way.
It's true, many people love both DmC and DMC and I haven't mentionned that.

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
Great thread man. I too wondered if the original DMC would stop in favor of the new one... Possibilities like that scare me. DMC was a great series and although it wasn't as popular as Capcom's other franchises, it didn't deserve to get rebooted. We don't have to accept DMC as dead. We don't have to accept anything. We need to stand up for what we believe in, because to be honest, DMC is what this community grew up with. Not DmC. Without DMC, DmC wouldn't even be here. Change is always a scary thing. But sometimes, it could be for the better... I don't believe it's for the better here. No matter how good DmC is, nothing will replace our beloved pizza gobblin' badass. DMC was ground breaking and genre defining, and original Dante was an icon. I miss them...so much... In fact, I even shed a tear listening to a piano version of "Shall Never Surrender", thinking about DMC's future. I thought, "What if DMC got scrapped for the new one? Is it dead now...? Whatever the case may be, it'll always be alive in my heart." Capcom just needs to give us what we really want and stop messing with us.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I think it will all work out. It depends more on the structure of gameplay and the story that's set. NT has to really go deep into the DMC recipe while tapping into their own story telling style. That in itself is tough. They also have to balance the new Dante out as well. He has to be the cocky, and badass as past games but must retain a feeling of normal human emotions, and that too is a difficult thing to do. With only a large portion supporting DmC and the rest in arms against it, it will be hard to get the ball rolling for a sequel for DmC. Then there's the original. If the original were to go on the way it was, we'd get dissapointing story telling, bad camera settings, and corny one-liners, mixed with terrible lines as well. Not only that, but another "Human trying to be a God" story that we all know how it ends. DMC wasn't stuck in gameplay, but rather in enviornment, story, narritive, and character development. While I'll miss the old DMC and the original Dante, I feel DMC was never the same after DMC2. DMC3 and 4 were just anime-styled games, and lost all horror aspects and just became Inuyasha and Bleach. DMC1 and DMC2 were the only two that I considered actual DMC games while DMC3 and DMC4 were reboots in terms of feel, gameplay, and Dante. Now there's a new DmC and CAPCOM wants to see how a foregin company can handle it. And if it's a big success, then they might forget the original DMC and go on with the new one. They won't say flat out "We're quitting the DMC to do DmC." At least not until DmC has a few sequels under its belt.

We're just gonna have to wait and see what comes up for DmC, and if it's satisfying and killing demons in there is enjoyable, then yes, DmC will replace DMC.

CAPCOM could do both, but that would take a lot of money to do, all coming from CAPCOM's and Ninja Theory's wallets. So it's either do one and ditch the other. I don't know, it's all on CAPCOM to decide the future of DMC, we're just the players, and no matter how much we yell for the old to return, CAPCOM has the decision, and if they say no to continue DMC, they won't lose money, there's still Resident Evil, Street fighter, Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, DmC, and other games to come.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
This is so funny.
Devil may cry is like becoming castlevania.As you guys can see,they also have done the same thing.Have a reboot.
Based on the ending of Castlevania: Lords of shadow,there will be a sequel for it.Now most of as in the castlevania fanbase thought that there will be no another castlevania game based on the original series but guess what? Konami just announced that there will be a new castlevania game based on the original timeline while also continuing the reboot,lords of shadow.

I can see devil may cry also doing the same thing.
Thanks to devil may cry,i have taken gaming to a serious level and i wouldn't be a gamer as i am now without it.

But let's face it.In terms of franchise itself(Which is obvious): Castlevania > Devil may cry

Edit: I voted impossible to tell by the way.It's impossible to tell for now of course.

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
It would be best that DMC series dies out because i don´t believe Capcom has the right crew to provide any good story (prequel or sequel). They also neglected the story for to long (DMC 2-4 - generic and mediocre stories).

DmC can continue for all i care, i will just look towards other games :)

@ You speak as if other gamers or DMC fans aren´t open to change. That´s really low. I have read many other gamers say "Fans want the same old" to take out of context what fans actually want.

Danteredgrave

It would be best that DMC series dies out because i don´t believe Capcom has the right crew to provide any good story (prequel or sequel). They also neglected the story for to long (DMC 2-4 - generic and mediocre stories).

DmC can continue for all i care, i will just look towards other games :)

@ You speak as if other gamers or DMC fans aren´t open to change. That´s really low. I have read many other gamers say "Fans want the same old" to take out of context what fans actually want.
I speak for myself and I wouldn't dare to regard a mere opinion as something high or low, I also think that there is a difference between being disappointed by what the reboots seems be about to convey (one might argue that the game has to be released and fully played before being judged) and not being open to change. I'm unable to enjoy this kind of change involving attitude, look, ... and it's not my fault it is a pure matter of taste. There were already dramatic differences among the first 4 games but I'm proud of all of them. I don't have anything against DmC either, I just think there's something in it that is in opposition with my vision of the series and contradicts what has been done before, DMC shouldn't threaten the development of DmC, as well as DmC shouldn't threaten the development of DMC but...we don't live in "Brave New World" xD I really think DmC and DMC are 2 different worlds which have only superficial details in common sorry if it bothers anyone...

Top Bottom