• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

For people who didn't like DMC4 Dante

Your thoughts?

• Total voters

Kaim Argonar

It doesn't matter the reason guys and please don't argue it because everyone is entitled to their opinion. This isn't to fuel fire, only to get honest feedback. I swear. Lets just keep this civil please :)

Anyway, from what I have pieced together I can see that some fans of the series aren't fond of DMC4 Dante because of the following.
1. He takes the back seat during the story
2. He is over designed with chaps and cowboy boots.
3. He takes on a much more humerus approach rather than the dark, sarcastic and badass demon slayer that he was known for in DMC1.
4. His character development was pushed aside to have him act more like him DMC3 self rather than his DMC1 self.
5. He was outshined by Nero the new guy.
6. They tie the backtracking to his overall character in DMC4 somehow.

Just a few complaints I hear. If there are more just keep them in mind so we don't end up with some big argument. So question is for those people, what their thoughts about DMC2 Dante was? Yes I know, I know, "But everything about DMC2 sucks! F@%# that game with a mile long cock cannon!" Be hear me out. DMC2 Dante honestly wasn't that far off from DMC1's Dante in my opinion. His biggest contrast is that he stands on the opposite end of DMC3 and 4's Dante. The story, whether you thought it was good or bad, did revolve around both him and Lucia effectively. Dante and her shared the roles and there was limited backtracking in DMC2. It's more like Resident Evil where characters will come across some of the same areas but only occasionally bump into one another before the finale. Now for his design.
716px-DMC2_-_Dante.png

I honestly think this is stylish as hell. He really does look the part of the demon slayer while keeping true to his trademark red colors. It's simple yet effective. Now for his personality. Dante has always been a bit of a joker and sarcastic man with a sharp tongue. He's quick to troll or bad mouth a demon and honestly I think he still has that in DMC2. He is indeed much more serious and keeps to himself most of the time but honestly DMC1 Dante wasn't that much of a blabber mouth either. DMC2 Dante has moments where he still trolls those around him. Example being when he flips that double sided coin claiming to leave everyone's pleads up to chance when he knew damn well that he just wanted to see their worried faces and that he'd do it anyway. Then theirs his the moments with Arius and him switching the coins when Arius was so sure to he had gained Argosax's power. When Arius soon learns he was tricked, the first thing he hears is Dante slowly approaching him from behind to say, "Is there a problem?" Gee where have I heard that before?
Troll-face-problem.jpg

He then proceeds to snatch his coin back and grab his sword in a ready pose. "Showtime!"
Maybe I'm alone but he still seemed very Dante like to me. Lucia played a very important role in DMC2 but never did people feel she one up'd Dante (though I say she was superior gameplay wise) So that brings me back to my origional question. For those who didn't like DMC4 Dante, what were your thoughts on DMC2 Dante? Personally I liked both but not everyone feels that way.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I prefer dmc4 dante as a character and personality but dmc2 dantes look and outfit was just so awesome would love to see anext gen render of it and his face from the hi res pics in actual gameplay or if they make dmc5 use his dmc2 appearance but keep and improve on his combat and styles from dmc4 and expand them with new moves

Kaim Argonar

BTW the question up top is asking if you thought DMC2 Dante was better, worse or in the same boat as DMC4's. Just wanted to clear that up in case there's any confusion.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I liked DMC2 Dante better.

Dante's character development as you listed got f''d up because they wanted to ride the success of DMC3 Dante and wanted to make him act more akin to him.

Problem is that that was Dante at his YOUNGEST appearance in the series.

If anything his character should have been a medium between DMC1 Dante's personality and DMC2 Dante's personality.

The sad thing was that it was not, he was even more immature than he was back in DMC3 which is saying a lot.

DMC2 Dante is Dante at his latest and most aged, the years has matured him to the point that he is still cocky, but not overly talkative which I found to be a nice change.

But I still prefer DMC1 Dante's attitude.

Now on to the looks of DMC4 Dante compared to DMC2 Dante, DMC4 Dante's outfit would have been fine in my opinion, if only it did not have those d@mn chaps!lol. DMC2 Dante's outfit still is my favorite amongst all of Dante's previous outfits, its just gives that badass seasoned Demon Slayer look to Dante in my opinion.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
For me who disliked DMC4 Dante, I wouldn't have mind if DMC2 Dante was in DMC4 Dante's role instead.

With DMC2 Dante, he might have been boring and quite unsocial, but that's just the result of growing up and seeing enough blood and death for your entire life. Plus I too liked the outfit; it was definitely an awesome outfit, and would've preferred it a hell of a lot more then that horrendous crap they put Dante in for DMC4.

However, if I had to choose a personality for Dante in DMC4, I'd have chosen a more cynical, sardonic personality, but still wise beyond his own years and mentoring over Nero from the shadows. DMC4 Dante was just there and didn't really do much in that mentoring possision. He just called Nero "Kid", gave him his own brothers "SEPERATE THE HUMAN WORLD FROM THE DEMON WORLD" sword (Great plan by the way -_-) and killed demons while Nero was trapped.

I wouldn't call that mentoring, not that he was obligated to.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Prepare for a wall of text, because I like to explain my POV in full. XD You've been warned.

I personally adore DMC4 Dante.

That being said, I can agree with ToCool74-to an extent. I didn't feel DMC4 Dante was as immature as DMC3 Dante, but I do feel that perhaps they could have reached a medium between DMC3 Dante and DMC1 Dante's personality.

As to his outfit in DMC4-I like it. Ordinarily I couldn't care less about "fashion", so chaps normally don't appeal to me. But the way he wears them accentuates the rest of his outfit, nicely. I love...LOVE the red leather trench coat. Yes, a long red coat is pretty signature for Dante, and even when it isn't leather (such as DMC1/Anime Dante) it still looks great on him. But the textures of the leather really caught my eye (that, and I've always like the scent and feel of leather, though I seldom wear anything like that, myself; costly, that stuff!)

Also, on the subject of his personality-much the same, I felt DMC1 and DMC2 Dante were fairly similar; both were much drier when it came to humour, though I do feel version 2 was a lot drier. There are reasons for this; development of the game was rushed, and not funded nearly as much as it should have been. I haven't completed the game, but I really ought to, at some point. (There's also the fact that they brought Itsuno in to direct, gave him next to no time to get to know the character or his story, and then gave him a deadline for the game).

Another thing about his personality; while DMC3 and 4 are similar, they still retain differences. Think of it this way: DMC3 was playful, but he still had a grumpier, more serious side depending on the situation. DMC1, he has lost his brother for the second time (once while they were kids, the second being when Vergil returned to the Demon Realm) and then, that particular wound is salted even more when he kills Nelo Angelo-who turns out to be his brother. So in the anime, he's crankier, but still has a bit of a sense of humour. Enter DMC4, he appears to have reached an age where he's come to grips with all the tragedy in his past (from losing his family and others, if you delve into the novels), and he's a happier guy.

In regards to DMC2, I don't know what to make of it, other than to assume (since apparently it's the last in the story line) that since he's older, he's growing weary from all of his battles.

Anyway, I love classic Dante in all of his incarnations, because to me, it's still him, no matter what. After all, how many of us stick to one emotion our whole lives, one way of thinking or being, one way of dressing? It's still him, whether you look from the story line perspective, or the game's development.

Love him or hate him, everyone has the right to decide which version they like best. :)

IncarnatedDemon

I think dmc4 dante is better than dmc2. dmc2 was to silent.
Dante is often cheerful, he rarely has a "Im serious" look.
change dmc4 dantes clothes (pants?), work more on his design and voila:

a good Dante.

Though i like dmc4Dante there is room for improvement.

The Final Offer

Justifying Dante's Behavior and Actions.

DMC 4 showed me that Dante was going insane. Look at the fact that he lost Vergil twice, has a woman who looks like his mother at his side (seemingly making passes at him), and a human woman who's everything he wants, but won't sleep with him.

-Maybe he was excited to see his nephew with a woman and happy by the fact that Vergil dropped his seed into a woman to ensure that the Sparda legacy continued. What fans should be asking is if Vergil knew he was going to be defeated.

DMC 3 showed me Dante when he first got into the Devil May Cry shop. He was excited. He didn't lose his brother. He met Mary. He was discovering his powers. It seemed he had everything demon related done.

-Dat ending tho...

DMC 2 showed me that Dante had lost everyone and is back alone again. Serious for the world he's in. That tone was just dark. Nothing was looking up for anyone alive.

-It's like he disappeared after the death of Trish/Mary/Nero and realized when he got back that his job is never going to be done. Which is why the ending is what it is.

DMC 1 showed me how Dante takes serious matters seriously when it needed to be. He was laid back even after Alastor stabbed him.

-Honestly, I'd go crazy if objects just pop out of walls and stab me without warning. I'd be the first paranoid Dante.

DmC showed me what it means to truly be alone, hunted, haunted, and what it's like to not know who you are.
The tone was dark just like DMC 2 but for Dante only.

10ef76620ca95659214bc0132a87556a.jpg

Kaim Argonar

Prepare for a wall of text, because I like to explain my POV in full. XD You've been warned.

I personally adore DMC4 Dante.

That being said, I can agree with ToCool74-to an extent. I didn't feel DMC4 Dante was as immature as DMC3 Dante, but I do feel that perhaps they could have reached a medium between DMC3 Dante and DMC1 Dante's personality.

As to his outfit in DMC4-I like it. Ordinarily I couldn't care less about "fashion", so chaps normally don't appeal to me. But the way he wears them accentuates the rest of his outfit, nicely. I love...LOVE the red leather trench coat. Yes, a long red coat is pretty signature for Dante, and even when it isn't leather (such as DMC1/Anime Dante) it still looks great on him. But the textures of the leather really caught my eye (that, and I've always like the scent and feel of leather, though I seldom wear anything like that, myself; costly, that stuff!)

Also, on the subject of his personality-much the same, I felt DMC1 and DMC2 Dante were fairly similar; both were much drier when it came to humour, though I do feel version 2 was a lot drier. There are reasons for this; development of the game was rushed, and not funded nearly as much as it should have been. I haven't completed the game, but I really ought to, at some point. (There's also the fact that they brought Itsuno in to direct, gave him next to no time to get to know the character or his story, and then gave him a deadline for the game).

Another thing about his personality; while DMC3 and 4 are similar, they still retain differences. Think of it this way: DMC3 was playful, but he still had a grumpier, more serious side depending on the situation. DMC1, he has lost his brother for the second time (once while they were kids, the second being when Vergil returned to the Demon Realm) and then, that particular wound is salted even more when he kills Nelo Angelo-who turns out to be his brother. So in the anime, he's crankier, but still has a bit of a sense of humour. Enter DMC4, he appears to have reached an age where he's come to grips with all the tragedy in his past (from losing his family and others, if you delve into the novels), and he's a happier guy.

In regards to DMC2, I don't know what to make of it, other than to assume (since apparently it's the last in the story line) that since he's older, he's growing weary from all of his battles.

Anyway, I love classic Dante in all of his incarnations, because to me, it's still him, no matter what. After all, how many of us stick to one emotion our whole lives, one way of thinking or being, one way of dressing? It's still him, whether you look from the story line perspective, or the game's development.

Love him or hate him, everyone has the right to decide which version they like best. :)
Haha wall of text indeed. Though I like who thought out you made your post so thank you for replying... THAT YOU ALL FOR REPLYING.
CinderellaLockedIn78fLG.gif

And now you're all mine!

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I didn't mind him.

Sure he was silly (he's probably going through a mid-life crisis or something) compared to the last 3 Dantes.

Dante reminds me of myself or what I might become in the future. I was very similar to DMC3, goofy, tried to not take things seriously, and not be responsible for my actions and what not than I grew up and is probably going to turn into DMC1 Dante and when I reach my 30s go through a big mid-life crisis.

I might end up buying a motorcycle. In fact I'm planning for my mid-life crisis and buying a motorcycle and motorcycle gear is on the list. OOOHHH I'm going to annoy my friends and family so much.

Then when I get older I'll probably be rather serious like DMC2 but maintain some youthfulness and snarkiness.

Anyway my favorite is DMC2 Dante and my least favorite is DMC1 Dante...not saying he is bad just the one who didn't leave as much as a positive reception as the rest. I mean they all have ups and downs to the their character but DMC1 Dante's downs bothers me the most (I can deal with DMC3 Dante's cocky and 70s-80s cool guy attitude, I can deal with DMC2 Dante's quietness, and I can deal with DMC4 Dante's over the top goofiness but I can't deal with DMC1 Dante's idiocy).

Plus this was badass.

View attachment 931

Reminded me a little of DMC2 Dante.

Johnni_kun

DMC4 Dante was (imo) the 2nd worst of the "Dantes." DMC2 Dante was too quite. DMC3 Dante was too sarcastic. DMC4 Dante was a clown. DmC Dante had too much growing up to do(although he is 2nd best.) And DMC1 is just right. I really hope that the next DMC game(Whatever it's going to be....) will go back to classic DMC1 Dante.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Wow you bring up some really good points Kaim. I do like both DMC2 and 4 Dante but honestly you're right about them being nearly opposites. DMC2 Dante was much better at a developmental standpoint while DMC4 Dante was probably more familiar. There's a little in both of them that makes them Dante though. All in all I guess I do prefer DMC2 Dante a bit more than DMC4 Dante but DMC1 Dante will always be my favorite. At the end of the day, I'll take any of the 4 of them over that sh*t-faced, j*zz bucket, Edward Cullen looking, disease hauling little f***ing bastard from DmC! (which was a darn fine game itself of course) but I digress....

To sum it up, Dante is a man of many faces, eh?

Top Bottom