• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Final Fantasy XVI

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Coming to PS5 and maybe PC as well though they've been flip-flopping on that.

Okay, now that the dust has settled on the FF16 reveal I felt like trying to sum up everything that can be observed and inferred from the trailer.

• First things first, there appears to be two different time periods - a somewhat peaceful period where the Hero serves Joshua the Archduke's son. Whereas the other is a time of conflict between factions (nations?).
  • The Hero with a potential Party are all discussing the target of their mission - Shiva's Dominant. The Dominants appear to be humans that either summon or transform into the Eikons: Shiva, Titan, Phoenix and Ifrit. When challenged with a question, "Sergeant" says "Our kind do not question orders, we follow them" whilst Hero touches the tattoo(?) on his cheek that they all have. Considering Joshua appears to be a Dominant who Hero served at one point, is the Party potentially Fal'cie equivalent who are compelled to serve between during a war between the Eikon?
  • Interestingly, when a soldier alerts Sergeant to the enemy faction summoning their Eikon, they're in fact referring to Titan who then proceeds to fight against Shiva. Conflict breaking out between friends maybe?
  • Time jump back to happier days and Hero narrates that the foe will not give up their "Mothercrystal" easily. Joshua seemingly heals Hero's hand and his mother(?) scolds him for going outside which is not allowed. Presumably as a Dominant he's a wanted target for the enemy and Hero has to protect him as his Shield (which was capitalised in the official subs).
  • I don't have much to say on the gameplay sections. Seems very FF15 inspired, you can see at one point a friendly running around with Hero against a monster so presumably it's not completely solo party member as some have feared. Hero uses a sword but also magic including what looks like Phoenix's wings and Titan's fist - maybe he can borrow the power of the Eikons somewhat?
  • Shady people negotiating in a dimmed room. Mercenary lady mentions Dhalmeks who drove back the Crusaders in the Battle of the Twin Realms. Is that what we see with the Saracen looking dudes fighting the knights on the Chocobos? She then goes on to mention that with the Mothercrystal gone they cannot defend their realm from the Blight. So it's maybe similar to FF15 with the MC's crystal being stolen which would stop the Starscourge?
  • An "Imperial" Dragoon attacks the Hero. Wonder if that's just a nod to the Class System or will it come back in some form? Maybe the Dragoons will be like the Judges in FF12 where they're an Elite Enemy you face at certain points.
  • What appears to be the Archduke gets shanked in front of his son Joshua which triggers the summoning/transformation into Phoenix. But Irfit appears and pre-timeskip Sergeant claims that a second Eikon of Fire should be impossible. Phoenix fights Ifrit whilst Hero narrates how the Crystals shaping their history will come to an end. Reminds me of how the antagonists from FF12 wanted to take back control of history from the Gods and put it into Mankind's hands once again.
  • The trailer closes out with Hero fading from Pre-timeskip to Post-timeskip whilst swearing he will kill someone at all costs, likely vengeance for either Joshua's and/or the Archduke's death.

Of course this all could be a waste of time if the game takes twenty years to come out and changes fifteen different times during development. :ROFL:

Anyways, how do y'all feel? What do you hope for and fear for this upcoming game?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dislike the medieval setting but that could change depending on what else is shown.

I like the timeskip angle, i just hope the hero doesn't sleep through it this time. It would be cool if he goes through a negative change arc.

Here's hoping they write the female characters better than KH or FF15.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Square Enix retracted the PC version announcement. Just an F.Y.I.

But as I was watching the livestream, I said "that's a nice get."

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Digging that they're going the FF Tactics/12/9 route with the setting, and it looks absolutely like a part of the 14 team is behind it. DMC5's battle director is behind the fight system on this one, so that looks promising.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
The Director and the Producer give their thoughts on the game so far.

I suppose I should actually give my own thoughts as well. Considering that the Ivalice games are my favourite, I cannot express how happy I am to be returning to more traditional fantasy style of FF game. The setting and the characters look interesting from what I've been able to piece together so far. The gameplay looks good though I hope we'll be able to switch control of party members from the getgo this time. The voice acting also sounds really well done.

Overall I'm extremely excited since if everything works out this game might break into my top 3 of FF titles. :love:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Lol, Clive. "He's not named after a weather pattern, finally!" -- Everybody

Looks like Akihiko Yoshida's artwork for the characters, so it's definitely got FFTactics and 12 vibes going on. The names for the characters are late-stage Ivalice Alliance leaning if I ever saw one, given Vagrant Story gave us characters like Ashley, Sydney, John, Joshua, etc., they could even toss in a Tiffany in there and it'd be the least surprising bit. Not to mention the realm of "Rosaria, in western Valisthea,", where 12 had the "Rozarrian Empire, in Western Ordalia". Can't wait to hear more about it.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Not to mention the realm of "Rosaria, in western Valisthea,", where 12 had the "Rozarrian Empire, in Western Ordalia".
Lol, looks like I'm not the only one who noticed that. I swear I nearly had a heart attack when I saw "Rosaria" only to remember that the "Rozarrian Empire" is not spelt that way and that it's not actually taking place in Ivalice. :cry:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Lol, looks like I'm not the only one who noticed that. I swear I nearly had a heart attack when I saw "Rosaria" only to remember that the "Rozarrian Empire" is not spelt that way and that it's not actually taking place in Ivalice. :cry:
That doesn't stop Vagrant Story from being connected to the rest of the Ivalice Alliance via names like "Kildea" for "Kiltia", "Lea Monde"/"Leamonde", and using "Valendia" as a kingdom when in FF12 it's a far-off continent and a calendar term, plus the Tactics Advance series tossed a bunch of kids into the FF12 version of Ivalice through a magical book. They can do whatever they want to nail this game as part of the timeline too, just toss a line about how "reality and illusion are a duality, two parts of a whole. Only the mirror of dreams reflects what is true," and bam. Instant connection to the rest of Ivalice as part of the greater story with the Mothercrystals standing in for Nethicite (Dawn/Dusk Shards, Sun Cryst, Great Crystal, etc) and the Eikon standing in as Lucavi/Espers that stem from Zodiac Stones.

See also: FFXIV. FFXIV went ham with the Return to Ivalice quests

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Is it weird that I think Joshua is gonna die ? I think I'm just more morbid in my old age of 29.
Not really, his Eikon is Phoenix - a creature explicably known for dying and being reborn. Plus from the reveal trailer we have Clive begging Joshua to wake up which cuts into an older Clive saying "I'll kill you if it's the last thing I do." Which the majority of fans have taken the view that this is a revenge story for avenging Joshua who dies by the end of the prologue.

Whether it turns out that way or not we'll just have to see.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Is it weird that I think Joshua is gonna die ? I think I'm just more morbid in my old age of 29.
That is literally just common sense and awareness of the trailer. No reason to bring your age and your edge into it.

> Clive is Joshua's Shield and this is a lifelong role
> "Role ends in tragedy"
> Clive in trailer while Ifrit is ripping someone apart: (English) "Joshua, please, wake up!" / (Japanese) "Stop! Please stop! He's my younger brother!"
> swears murderous revenge by the end of the trailer

But nah, Clive is swearing vengeance because uhhhhhhhhh Titan's Dominant died. Joshua's just peachy and you're being a weirdo. Sure.

Top Bottom