• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Final fantasy XII Gambits

aka958

Don't trust people
I bought FFXII a week ago and I like it, I actually feared it would suck and would not be anything like any other of the games in the series... But the only thing was the fighting system and otherwise everything is the same. Now the only thing i really reacted on was the Gambit system, I never liked it and never used it but a friend of mine says it will be a lot harder later on and i won't stand much of a chance without gambits and I don't agree on that.
Now i've played 35 hours and came to Draklor Laboratory and i've had no problems at all not using Gambits. I just think that gambits is why some thinks you don't have to do anything in the game. What do you think?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
aka958;193254 said:
I bought FFXII a week ago and I like it, I actually feared it would suck and would not be anything like any other of the games in the series... But the only thing was the fighting system and otherwise everything is the same. Now the only thing i really reacted on was the Gambit system, I never liked it and never used it but a friend of mine says it will be a lot harder later on and i won't stand much of a chance without gambits and I don't agree on that.
Now i've played 35 hours and came to Draklor Laboratory and i've had no problems at all not using Gambits. I just think that gambits is why some thinks you don't have to do anything in the game. What do you think?

Well, it depends on your style of playing. If you like to do some automatic fighting, use your Gambits. Otherwise, do it manually.

However, setting Gambits can be really tedious and confusing, especially if you set up too many Gambits. If you are good at setting it up though, it will be no problem to you.

Essentially, setting up Gambits can make your life easier. Practically, you don't have to do anything unless in emergency. For example, if you set up "Curaga" to heal your ally when they are 50% of their maximum HP, your character will automatically heal the injured character. However, Gambits also have their own priority ranking. If you set up the first Gambit to be "Curaga" to your injured allies have less than 50% HP, he or she will do that instead of doing any other Gambits setup such as Attacking the nearest enemies and so on.

(Offensive)
My usual Gambit setup for Vaan, Fran and Ashe are:

1. Ally: Any - Arise
2. Foe: Any - Attack
3. Self - Libra
4. Self - Bravery
5. Ally: Any - Esunaga

(Healers and Protectors)
My usual Gambit setup for Basch, Penelo and Balthier are:

1. Ally: HP< 60% - Curaja
2. Ally: Any - Hastega
3. Ally: Any - Protectga
4. Foe: Any - Attack
5. Self - Bravery
6. Ally: Any - Shellga

No. 1 is the priority command, while the others are secondary commands. Which means, the first Gambit will always activate first instead of No. 2.

My favourite party is a party of Vaan, Basch, and Balthier, as they have good attack power and have awesome Quickenings.

Your friend is quite correct, as there will be even more tougher enemies and bosses after Draklor Laboratory, but can be manageable even if you don't set your Gambits as long as you are high leveled, have good accessories such as Bubble Belt, have good weapons and have proper Techniks and Magicks. Not all Espers are required to complete the game too, but getting them is a great help to you, such as Chaos and Zodiark.

aka958

Don't trust people
But You can detect a attack faster than a gambit can and start a curaga before the ally get hit, your action menu pauses the game when it comes up and just take it up after making a command and you can multicommand just as fast as any gambit. He also said i was underleveled when i said i was at level 25 with all my party except Balthier who was 34 when i was supposed to go to Draklor laboratory. Now i could actually agree to him, and i came all that way without gambits :p .

MochaCub

ReadzMangaS
It's cool to see another fan of the game. I made it to level 73 with three characters before I beat the game. You should be able to own the final bosses at level 60 though.

and FYI, you should set your first gambit to Phoenix Down or Arise, which Chaos Master stated, with at least two characters in my opinion.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
aka958;193289 said:
But You can detect a attack faster than a gambit can and start a curaga before the ally get hit, your action menu pauses the game when it comes up and just take it up after making a command and you can multicommand just as fast as any gambit. He also said i was underleveled when i said i was at level 25 with all my party except Balthier who was 34 when i was supposed to go to Draklor laboratory. Now i could actually agree to him, and i came all that way without gambits :p .

Well, it's up to you. I still prefer using Gambits and let them do their job. I practically don't have to press anything when fighting regular monsters except pushing the Left Analog Stick to move around. When fighting the mandatory bosses though, I will have to change some of my Gambit setups, but they are easily handled. Fighting optional bosses and Marks need a complete different strategy as they even tougher than storyline bosses.

aka958

Don't trust people
Well i don't like doing nothing, the game feels even more awesome without gambits too :D . And the phoenix downs are a smart idea for gambits but i can predict if someone dies and start the casting before they actually dies and as fast as they die i raise them up again :p .

Is the games storyline that big that you have to be 60+ to kill the last boss? In Final Fantasy VIII you could defeat the last boss before level 40 easily.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
aka958;193351 said:
Well i don't like doing nothing, the game feels even more awesome without gambits too :D . And the phoenix downs are a smart idea for gambits but i can predict if someone dies and start the casting before they actually dies and as fast as they die i raise them up again :p .

Is the games storyline that big that you have to be 60+ to kill the last boss? In Final Fantasy VIII you could defeat the last boss before level 40 easily.

That is because Final Fantasy VIII features the "Mutual Level Up" system, basically means that if your characters level up, your enemies will level up too. If your party character's level are average of level 100, most likely your enemies or bosses will be around that level too, except for a certain bosses. Bosses in the last dungeon, can be up to level 90 to level 100, which makes it even more challenging, that includes Omega Weapon and Ultima Weapon. If your character's level are around 40, the final boss's level will be in that range too, around level 40 to 50.

As for Final Fantasy XII, the storyline is quite lengthy, around 50+ gameplay time. As I did Mark hunting and most of the optional quests, it took me 100+ hours. The final boss's level are fixed to give slightly easier challenge, but he has has overwhelming attacks that compensate it's challenge, not to mention it's various passive abilities, like various status immunities, and it's powerful defensive techniques like Paling and Magick Defense.

aka958

Don't trust people
I'm also doing marks and hunts, and i have played 50 hours+, if i would do the storyline without killing marks i would not make it through o_O .

But i think that omega weapon and ultima weapon actually levels up with you in ffviii, saw a video where they proved it, but it could have been false :O .

Also FFVIII is alot shorter than FFXII. those who appreciate FFXII got a long and awesome game that feels like a mmo game but single player.

Keaton

Premium
Bit off topic lol, but Ultima Weapon (of which you Draw Eden from) is ALWAYS at lvl 100, regardless of your own level. Mutual-Levelling applies only to enemies, with the exception of UW. Allies you recruit and UW are all at fixed levels >.<

Anyways, FFXII Sounds pretty cool if I say so, may have to look into it ^^

aka958

Don't trust people
It sounds pretty cool if you say so? You got some awesome powers deciding what's cool :p .

It is pretty cool and it's a long game, lots of side quests and if you like the battle system it is just the game to waste lots and lots of hours on.

But omega weapon then?

Top Bottom