• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Final boss tips? (Heavy Spoilers!)

DarkSlayer54

It took me around 2-3 hours to beat him without using any red orbs. I had tutorials disabled, so I'm hoping there's something I'm missing here...

Has anyone figured out how to break out of the stun? When Dante becomes groggy and just stands in place as if he's waiting for a fatality? Using the Devil Trigger works, but is there any other counter? I tried mashing buttons and wiggling the left stick, but neither of those things worked. The DT feels clunky to me, since you can't just quickly toggle it on and off like in previous games. I'm really hoping there's another way to break out of it.

Dealing with the doppelganger always threw me off my game as well. The only way I could beat him so far is to just kill him before he enters that phase... either with Dr. Faust, or with Royal Guard. Are there any strategies you guys came up with for that phase specifically?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
My Solution was heavy use of the Trickster style using nothing but the Devil Sword Dante and Ebony and Ivory with a few uses of Sword Master.
So this is just coming from my memory with the fight as I haven't replayed the battle cause I'm half way with my SOS playthrough at the moment.

Phase 1:
Use Stinger as soon as the battle starts and Vergil will counter it then he'll go for his drop attack, dodge this with Trickster or a normal back jump as side dodges don't work and he'll hit you.
After that hit him with another Stinger and dish out combos until you knock him back.
His floating sword projectiles can be easily dodges by just walking sideways in tune with him or by just shooting them.
Dodge his attacks until he gives you the openings and then dish out more combos.
Be careful when "teleporting" to him using Trickster as he can still hit you with his rush attacks as well as his "orb" attacks.
Be careful of his "stab" attack as well as it deals massive damage, but it can be canceled by going into Devil Trigger.

Phase 2 (His DT form):
Use Trickster furiously during this phase and do NOT attack Vergil until he does the animation where he sheaths Yamato, it usually happens after he's done 3 of his drop or drive attacks, but it'll only give you a second or 2 to get some damage in, then you'll go back to dodging.
When he goes into the "Prepare to DIIIIIIIEEEEE" attack, I don't know if you can cancel it, but my solution was to just jump out of the way every time or use Trickster.
But when the blue swords surround Dante, quickly switch to Sword Master and use Dante's quick floating swords attack to get rid of the blue swords, you'll need to get rid of them multiple times.

Phase 3(doppelganger):
I still used Trickster like my life depended on it and killed the doppelganger with Ebony and Ivory and went back to dodging until an opening showed up.

I can't remember every technique I used, but that was the gist of it, I have no idea how to get out of the "daze" animation though, I just avoided getting hit by that attack as best I could.

Took me god knows how many tries to figure him out, but I got him in the end.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Royal guard does wonders on him. If you just keep blocking him and release charge in his face, he should go down pretty fast. The worst part is dodging his flying move.

SFH

I have issues with him too but my issue is trying to get enough style points. I am playing this on Human and the highest rank I could get on that mission is A. Do I have to Royal Guard his ass in order to get an S rank?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I have issues with him too but my issue is trying to get enough style points. I am playing this on Human and the highest rank I could get on that mission is A. Do I have to Royal Guard his ass in order to get an S rank?
once again, I can suggest royal guard. You can easily score SSS throughout first two phases with it.

SFH

What the hell? Royal Guard is easier now. Just hold down B even against bosses and you can get style points and no damage.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
What the hell? Royal Guard is easier now. Just hold down B even against bosses and you can get style points and no damage.
yes and no, it's not 1-frame anymore, but you still get damage if it's longer attack and you missed the frame

DarkSlayer54

yes and no, it's not 1-frame anymore, but you still get damage if it's longer attack and you missed the frame

It seems to deplete DT if the perfect guard was missed, only dealing damage if you're out of DT. Super lenient, and I really love it so far.

Never used Royal Guard in previous games, because it was just too hard to pull off perfect guards.

Top Bottom