• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fan of specific Final Fantasy equates to fan of the franchise or nah?

Dr. Cheesesteak

I posted this in another FF forum, but I recently realized I haven't liked a new FF in 15+ years (not counting FF14ARR). But the older games that I am a fan, I absolutely love. The mobile gacha games are really what keep me in touch w/ my love of those older FF's and their characters. Newer FF's still have characters I like, but, it's only those characters. I tend to still not care for or even dislike those respective games. And I have 0 excitement for FF16.

Final Fantasy also lacks consistency between each mainline game. Different characters, worlds, themes, mechanics, directors (on rotation), etc. Each game is its own beast, just w/ "Final Fantasy" slapped on. Other JRPG series (SMT, Ys, Mana, SaGa, etc) at least have common worlds, characters, themes, mechanics, etc. They have an identity. Even Mana and SaGa had the same main creative teams for their respective runs before Square turned them into just remake/remaster franchises. Final Fantasy is just whatever Square wants to be its top RPG and may have crystals or may have some traditional FF classes.

So it got me thinking, about "favorite series", when I was talking w/ a buddy. ...is Final Fantasy actually a favorite series of mine? Or is just that half dozen or so ones that I love, all 16-32 years old, make me just associate the name "Final Fantasy" with a series of games I love?

What do you guys think? Do you only like a few FF games? Are they all old? Would you call yourself an FF fan?

It's worth noting that maybe the Tales series can be close to comparing to FF in this regard. Not many video game franchises are as...identity-less as Final Fantasy. Even franchises like RE, BioShock, Zelda, etc, that may have its share of fans that only like certain games/eras, still have consistent worlds, stories, themes, characters, gameplay, mechanics, etc.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
There is no such thing as a true fan. Like what you like.

I got into FF through KH. Right now I'd say I'm a bigger fan of FF than KH. I'm not into turn-based gameplay so I'm more likely to finish FF15 than FF10. So I'm more on the casual side.

I don't mind the changes because it keeps it fresh. I could always skip the ones I don't want etc. Its something Japanese games need to do more of because I tend to loose interest in the casts faster than western games. I'd be more into KH if Sora got retired. My love of V got started because he felt fresh while the returning characters felt stale.

Last edited:

Meg

I don’t like the direction Assassin’s Creed or Call of Duty went in, but I still consider myself a fan. If anyone asks, I’d just say I’m a fan of the old games but not so much the new ones. Old games don’t stop being good because the new ones aren’t.

Dr. Cheesesteak

There is no such thing as a true fan.
Interesting take. :unsure: But I feel what you mean.

I don’t like the direction Assassin’s Creed or Call of Duty went in, but I still consider myself a fan. If anyone asks, I’d just say I’m a fan of the old games but not so much the new ones. Old games don’t stop being good because the new ones aren’t.
Yeah, I like the "I like the old games" angle.

And to clarify, I don't dislike the new FF's because of any change of direction of the franchise or anything (again, I think FF is pretty...identity-less anyway. Except maybe turn-based combat and summons/chocobos. But turn-based is clearly kaput for the mainline now). I just didn't care for the writing, most characters, miscellany things, etc. (and especially the combat in FF15, but not simply b/c it's "action" combat. I'm fine w/ action combat, hopefully it's good in FF16).

It's moreso coincidence, maybe, I dislike like FF13, pre-ARR FF14, and FF15 and they happen to be the most recent mainline ones. I am curious what I'd think of FF7R and SOP:FFO. I can already sorta tell I may not be a fan of their stories...but maybe the combat, other mechanics, features, etc will make up for it.

Last edited:

Meg

Interesting take. :unsure: But I feel what you mean.

Yeah, I like the "I like the old games" angle.

And to clarify, I don't dislike the new FF's because of any change of direction of the franchise or anything (again, I think FF is pretty...identity-less anyway. Except maybe turn-based combat and summons/chocobos. But turn-based is clearly kaput for the mainline now). I just didn't care for the writing, most characters, miscellany things, etc. (and especially the combat in FF15, but not simply b/c it's "action" combat. I'm fine w/ action combat, hopefully it's good in FF16).

It's moreso coincidence, maybe, I dislike like FF13, pre-ARR FF14, and FF15 and they happen to be the most recent mainline ones. I am curious what I'd think of FF7R and SOP:FFO. I can already sorta tell I may not be a fan of their stories...but maybe the combat, other mechanics, features, etc will make up for it.
Have you played the Trails of Cold Steel games? Excellent turn based combat, rich world, and a lovable cast. It’s part of the larger Legend of Heroes series, which consists of smaller sub-series (like Cold Steel) that all connect to form a larger, over-arching story about the world.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Have you played the Trails of Cold Steel games? Excellent turn based combat, rich world, and a lovable cast. It’s part of the larger Legend of Heroes series, which consists of smaller sub-series (like Cold Steel) that all connect to form a larger, over-arching story about the world.
I have played Trails in the Sky 1, but didn't finish myself. Decided to watch the rest of the series on YT as a movie (but it's like 80 hrs of scenes lol) before hopping into Cold Steel. I'm just about 1/4 through Sky 2, but yes!, I love the story and characters of Sky so far. I'm actually pretty excited to start the Cold Steel series. Eventually lol.

• Love
Reactions: Meg
Top Bottom