• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

ESSAY: Empowerment vs. Activism

Meg

I wrote something else for my organization's online magazine. I'm posting it here as well. Hope you like it. :)

Empowerment vs. Activism

Gloria Steinam said that the definition of feminism should be modified to “believing in equality of the sexes and doing something about it.” She has a point. Without “and doing something about it” most people are actually feminists. Most people do believe in equality of the sexes, but few are willing to really do anything about it. Unfortunately, using this modified definition, a lot of self-identified feminists aren’t really feminists at all.

Oh sure, a lot of these feminists think they are working toward equality, but what they are really doing is empowering themselves and others within their movement, but without moving things forward.

Now don’t get me wrong, empowerment is important. How can you possibly make change if you don’t believe yourself strong enough to do it? It would be pretty hard. So, empowerment within feminism is a good thing. The problem lies in the amount of empowerment versus actual activism.

A lot of feminist campaigns and programing come off as trying to get something done, but if one looks closer, they’ll find that simply isn’t true. In fact, sometimes the campaign hurts more than it helps.

A classic example is when last year Feminist Majority Foundation pushed forth the Flush Rush campaign with the intention of pressuring Rush Limbaugh’s advertisers to pull from his show: resulting in his show getting cancelled. FMF’s last update stated that forty-five advertisers pulled. This is the perfect example of feminists being counterproductive. Censorship is always wrong, and feminists trying to take away a person’s human right to say what they think is ridiculous.

However, FMF’s approach to the campaign was interesting. They made no attempt to use this as a recruitment tool. It was purely an empowerment thing.

Similarly, last summer saw an uproar over the rape jokes Daniel Tosh made during his stand-up performance. A woman heckled him over the jokes, which got her an offensive reply. The Internet exploded. Many people began petitioning Tosh’s show, Tosh.O, be removed from air. Again, feminists tried to censor someone who says offensive things. It is not helpful. In fact, campaigns like this only prove to make feminism look worse to outsiders.

In both cases, feminists walked away feeling empowered: like they did something really important. But did they? No.

Other examples are Slut Walks, picketing when there is not media coverage (one could argue how effective picketing at all is), and bake sales. Bake sales are the worst; especially when the people running the bake sale make little to no attempt to interact with people.
There are plenty of other examples of campaigns and programs that aim to empower over make change, but I’m not going to get into that now. However, hope is not all lost. Perfect examples of good ways to actually improve things are hosting events like Take Back the Night and The Vagina Monologues. As well as trying to improve the local community with better lighting and paths: things that act as deterrents to violence but also are a great help to people with disabilities. Supporting local clinics and educating people on the difference between places like Planned Parenthood and “pregnancy care centers” is also great. There needs to be more of things like that.

The easiest way to figure out if you’re a feminist more interested in empowerment or activism is to ask yourself this: “Do I, by myself or as part of a group participate in more activities that only really empower myself and people within my movement instead of activities that benefit society as a whole?” Think about that for a while. If you answered yes, then you need to re-evaluate your role in feminism.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nice piece! Was this inspired by the recent Anita discussion?
Similarly, last summer saw an uproar over the rape jokes Daniel Tosh made during his stand-up performance. A woman heckled him over the jokes, which got her an offensive reply. The Internet exploded. Many people began petitioning Tosh’s show, Tosh.O, be removed from air. Again, feminists tried to censor someone who says offensive things. It is not helpful. In fact, campaigns like this only prove to make feminism look worse to outsiders.
I didn't think it was only feminists getting upset over Tosh. There was an uproar from other people too. Sure, she shouldn't have heckled, but he should have dealt with it in a more mature manner than tell her that: 'Wouldn’t it be funny if that girl got raped by, like five guys right now?' That was completely immature thing to say. He should have just moved on with the show. Comedians get heckled all the time, they should be used to it. Responding like that was uncalled for, and his response wasn't even funny, it was offensive. I know that just starts a slippery slope into what can and cannot be said (disabled jokes or race jokes) but that kind of thing just hits a nerve with me.
I am wondering though, if a guy had stood up and heckled him with 'rape jokes aren't funny', would Tosh have responded in the same way?

Other examples are Slut Walks, picketing when there is not media coverage (one could argue how effective picketing at all is)
Is that what they call them, 'slut walks'?:/ That's really not a good term to associate with feminism. I though it was anti use of the word slut considering the bad connotations with the word.

The easiest way to figure out if you’re a feminist more interested in empowerment or activism is to ask yourself this: “Do I, by myself or as part of a group participate in more activities that only really empower myself and people within my movement instead of activities that benefit society as a whole?” Think about that for a while. If you answered yes, then you need to re-evaluate your role in feminism.
Got to say, when you made this point, I think you can apply it to not just feminism, but a whole host of other organizations. Charities, while they are supposed to help, only support one cause, maybe abroad, instead of the whole of society. They also take in large profits that do not go to the cause they want to help, but are hidden away in foreign accounts. Then theres the case of people higher up in charities being paid huge salaries and expenses benefits. They're certainly not interested inanything else but profit.

I really don't know why we have the term 'feminism' anyway. Just by using that word, it's alienating men. Plus the word feminist has picked up a few nasty connotations. I see this on the internet and real life where the word feminist is synonymous with 'man hater', 'greedy bitches', or 'femnazi'.

Why can't they have 'peopleism' these days? I know women were denied the vote, and still are is some parts of the world, and are treated terribly in some places, but I think it's time to call it a day with feminism and just work towards the betterment of mankind as a whole. If you promote the rights of women only, the men will think it's at their expense, and it creates a lot of bitter feelings. Plus, it doesn't help that people claiming to be feminist are doing what you say in your article, which damages the image of being a feminist.

aoshi

Feminism is defending equal social rights for women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism

Activism seems to be a lot of things and feminism is a form of activism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism

To be an activist, I don't have to be a feminist. Feminists are activists by default cuz its a social movement on discrimination against women in society. Activism can be vehement in other forms besides feminism with hunger-strikes and boycotts.

From wiki:
Activism can take a wide range of forms from writing letters to newspapers or politicians, political campaigning, economic activism such as boycotts or preferentially patronizing businesses, rallies, street marches,strikes, sit-ins, and hunger strikes.
Feminists are activists by default and don't need to indulge in other forms of activism cuz its not their goal.

As well as trying to improve the local community with better lighting and paths: things that act as deterrents to violence but also are a great help to people with disabilities. Supporting local clinics and educating people on the difference between places like Planned Parenthood and “pregnancy care centers” is also great. There needs to be more of things like that.

All of this is applicable to a non-feminist but not necessarily applicable to feminist cuz their primary goal is to battle gender in-equality and discrimination of any form towards women. All that is listed here has no gender-inequality or discrimination of any form towards women.

Meg

Nice piece! Was this inspired by the recent Anita discussion?
Thank you! :D And nope, it was inspired by really stupid feminists driving me crazy.

I didn't think it was only feminists getting upset over Tosh. There was an uproar from other people too. Sure, she shouldn't have heckled, but he should have dealt with it in a more mature manner than tell her that: 'Wouldn’t it be funny if that girl got raped by, like five guys right now?' That was completely immature thing to say. He should have just moved on with the show. Comedians get heckled all the time, they should be used to it. Responding like that was uncalled for, and his response wasn't even funny, it was offensive. I know that just starts a slippery slope into what can and cannot be said (disabled jokes or race jokes) but that kind of thing just hits a nerve with me.
It wasn't just feminists, but since my essay was only about them, I didn't bother bringing up other demographics that were also upset. Because that wasn't my point. According to the venue owner, Tosh said: "I bet she was raped by like five guys." Still really uncalled for, but not the same as what the woman said it was. But hey, I wasn't there. So who really knows. :/

I am wondering though, if a guy had stood up and heckled him with 'rape jokes aren't funny', would Tosh have responded in the same way?
Excellent question! I hadn't thought of that. :O He probably would say something else that was offensive.

Is that what they call them, 'slut walks'?:/ That's really not a good term to associate with feminism. I though it was anti use of the word slut considering the bad connotations with the word.

Yeah. :( Some people call it a Walk of No Shame. But for the most part, they are slut walks. :(

Got to say, when you made this point, I think you can apply it to not just feminism, but a whole host of other organizations. Charities, while they are supposed to help, only support one cause, maybe abroad, instead of the whole of society. They also take in large profits that do not go to the cause they want to help, but are hidden away in foreign accounts. Then theres the case of people higher up in charities being paid huge salaries and expenses benefits. They're certainly not interested inanything else but profit.
This is an interesting point. I didn't talk about any similar groups because, again, that wasn't the point of this essay. Still worth discussing though.

I really don't know why we have the term 'feminism' anyway. Just by using that word, it's alienating men. Plus the word feminist has picked up a few nasty connotations. I see this on the internet and real life where the word feminist is synonymous with 'man hater', 'greedy bitches', or 'femnazi'.

Why can't they have 'peopleism' these days? I know women were denied the vote, and still are is some parts of the world, and are treated terribly in some places, but I think it's time to call it a day with feminism and just work towards the betterment of mankind as a whole. If you promote the rights of women only, the men will think it's at their expense, and it creates a lot of bitter feelings. Plus, it doesn't help that people claiming to be feminist are doing what you say in your article, which damages the image of being a feminist.
Men's issues exist and need to be addressed as equally important instead of just as a foot note in feminism. The concept isn't alienating to men (equal rights for all people), but the term is yeah. A lot of "feminists" hate men sadly. The movement as a whole is so messed up. I could write essay after essay on all the things wrong with feminism.

Feminism is defending equal social rights for women.
Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. Not women, but everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism

Activism seems to be a lot of things and feminism is a form of activism.
Well yeah, obviously. What's your point?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism

To be an activist, I don't have to be a feminist. Feminists are activists by default cuz its a social movement on discrimination against women in society. Activism can be vehement in other forms besides feminism with hunger-strikes and boycotts.
I wrote this essay based on Gloria Steinam's modified definition that to be a feminist, you actually have to do something. BE an activist instead of just throwing your beliefs around and making yourself look good, but without trying to really change anything. That is my thesis. Feminists need to stop being more concerned with self-empowerment and more concerned with being true activists.

Feminists are activists by default and don't need to indulge in other forms of activism cuz its not their goal.
What?

All of this is applicable to a non-feminist but not necessarily applicable to feminist cuz their primary goal is to battle gender in-equality and discrimination of any form towards women. All that is listed here has no gender-inequality or discrimination of any form towards women.
Mmm....no. Helping women (or whoever!) not get raped is a feminist issue. Disability issues are also feminist issues. And supporting your local reproductive service clinic is also a feminist thing. Feminism is a very broad term now a days.

aoshi

Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. Not women, but everyone.
25pttlgjpg.gif

From wiki:

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.[3]

Its very obvious from the term "Femini"sm which is derived from the word feminine which means female gender.

Well yeah, obviously. What's your point?

What?

Lol....."obviously"??????.......I rest my case.

Meg

Hey now, there is no reason to be so rude about it. :(

As someone who is an active feminist, been a member of a feminist group for over two years, been to conferences, read books, taken classes, been to countless events, and talked to more feminists than I guarantee you know, I know what I'm talking about. Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes, regardless of any classification (sex, race, gender, class, religion, etc.).

As for the second part. All you did was prove that feminism is a form of activism. Which is obvious. What are you trying to get at? I made clear that with "and doing something about it" added onto the definition of feminism, a lot of feminists aren't "real" feminists according to that definition. In other words, a lot of feminists aren't really doing anything that helps society move forward.

Please keep things civil. I reported your post, but I'm sure if we can get this discussion back on track, and keep it there, the staff won't mind.

aoshi

As for the second part. All you did was prove that feminism is a form of activism. Which is obvious. What are you trying to get at? I made clear that with "and doing something about it" added onto the definition of feminism, a lot of feminists aren't "real" feminists according to that definition. In other words, a lot of feminists aren't really doing anything that helps society move forward.

No, I also explained activism can be vehement jus as some of feminists are. Jus because some of feminists are vehement in their goals, does not make them less of an activist. May be some of them don't have most logical reason to be vehement about but at the end of the day, wat matters is social right of women is secured. Like rape jokes for example, The reason daniel tosh's comment was condemned is because he was offensive and rather wanted to embarrass the heckler for heckling but ended up offending. As loopy said,A simple "didn't mean to offend"(in a humble way) would not have blown it out of proportion. Its understandable if feminists are offended by anyone who does not take rape seriously and had the audacity to go public with it.

Please keep things civil. I reported your post, but I'm sure if we can get this discussion back on track, and keep it there, the staff won't mind.

So you can't take sarcastic responses on internet(even though you got basic definition behind feminism incorrect) and are inviting mod's attention to secure your rights but think a feminist should not get offended/disagree when someone refuses to consider rape seriously?????(even though a rape is against social rights of women).

Excuse me while I laugh myself off or is it LMAO???
35k9atk.gif

Meg

No, I also explained activism can be vehement jus as some of feminists are. Jus because some of feminists are vehement in their goals, does not make them less of an activist. May be some of them don't have most logical reason to be vehement about but at the end of the day, wat matters is social right of women is secured. Like rape jokes for example, The reason daniel tosh's comment was condemned is because he was offensive and rather wanted to embarrass the heckler for heckling but ended up offending. As loopy said,A simple "didn't mean to offend"(in a humble way) would not have blown it out of proportion. Its understandable if feminists are offended by anyone who does not take rape seriously and had the odacity to go public with it.

So you can't take sarcastic responses on internet(even though you got basic definition behind feminism incorrect) and are inviting mod's attention to secure your rights but think a feminist should not get offended/disagree when someone refuses to consider rape seriously?????(even though a rape is against social rights of women).

Excuse me while I laugh myself off or is it LMAO???
35k9atk.gif
There is a difference between playful sarcasm and being outright rude. You are being the latter. If you cannot have a mature discussion, then I will no longer humor you. It's obvious you don't respect me, my intelligence, or my opinions. Reported again and this conversation is over. Ignore list as well.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I respect women. So that makes me a feminist for doing so?
Just makes you... You. I don't think you have to be a feminist to be nice to women. Besides, the word feminist in Japan means a man who pesters a woman for a date and buys her presents until she agrees. It's funny how different places have a different meaning for the same word :p

Meg

Just makes you... You. I don't think you have to be a feminist to be nice to women. Besides, the word feminist in Japan means a man who pesters a woman for a date and buys her presents until she agrees. It's funny how different places have a different meaning for the same word :p
I like that definition more. :shifty:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Just makes you... You. I don't think you have to be a feminist to be nice to women. Besides, the word feminist in Japan means a man who pesters a woman for a date and buys her presents until she agrees.

The basis for a restraining order it seems. :lol:

Now I'm imagining stalkers trying to just say they're feminist when they get confronted for it as an excuse. My brain is strange at times.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
The sad thing is (and this goes for a lot of other activist groups) that feminism has gotten a pretty bad rep in the media. My first impression of a feminist was a woman wearing a man's business suit with hair slicked back and looking haughty. It translated to me as women trying to eliminate the need for men - everything you can do, I can do (even better).
Staying at home, running the household and raising children and cooking up gourmet meals is not good enough. Go for more, get into the workforce, climb your way to the top, and do it with flair because you are a woman and you deserve success. Become fully independent, you don't need a man.

These are the impressions I got. I've always been one for equality - man or woman, black or white. You ought to get paid for the effort you put into your job, not just for having boobs. You should find a job easily in your field of expertise, and not have the need to go for the careers that most men do.

Prime example: New Zealand is budding with feminists. It's absolutely overflowing. There are so many women in high ranks in the big companies. IT, though? My mum used to teach IT at college, she's brilliant at it, but even she often needs to back off and ask her bf or my hubby to work it out for her. These blonde little skin rags here? I can't tell you how often they don't even have the capacity to READ an email. We are taught back home, before we go to high school, that we will NOT be spoon-fed. Harsh, sure, but excellent preparation for the real world.
They don't have the same philosophy here. Their motto is 'have a can-do attitude', but you see, you need to actually know what TO DO first. We've been harping on the company to up our salary since my guy is not only working for them but also spoon-feeding his colleagues. And even after taking the time out of his tasks to write a step-by-step guide on what they need to do (I'm not exaggerating here, he has to do this practically on a daily basis), they STILL don't know whats going on because they don't bother reading the email. All they want is to delegate the work or have a consultant 'help' them (in other words, they try to shrug their tasks off onto someone else [someone else being my hubby]) and then they take full credit for the end result.
Oh, did I mention the colleagues he spoonfeeds daily are mostly women?

I'm not a feminist, but I am pro-equality. I'm also a realist. Women shouldn't be allowed into certain fields of work, IT being one of them. So whilst my feminist friends strive for that goal point in the workforce before they can even start to feel like they've achieved anything, all I need is to sit down and have a cup of tea to know I've had a successful day. Feminism complicates things. And in a way, I think you'll agree Meg, that it's a lot like religion. You stand up for what you believe in, what you believe is the right thing to do, and you label your group/religion - and then you have all these loud, rotten apples rolling around in the group, forcing your beliefs in people's faces in a way that shames what you stand for until the true intention behind it is lost.

/endmajorbrainfart

Anyway I loved your article Meg.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!

I see. Thanks, Loopy. :)

Meg

I'm not a feminist, but I am pro-equality. I'm also a realist. Women shouldn't be allowed into certain fields of work, IT being one of them.
While I appreciate you taking the time to write out a nice, long response, I cannot ignore how much these sentences contradict each other. Never mind how saying you aren't a feminist, but are pro-equality is a contradiction. You then say that you are pro-equality, but don't believe women should be allowed into certain fields of work. Pardon my bluntness, but that is disgustingly sexist. Why shouldn't women be allowed to have any job they are qualified for? Because they are women? That is not pro-equality at all. Can men work in whatever field they want? I think it's great that you find success in simple things; that's awesome. Some women (like me) are career happy, ambitious workaholics. And so long as we are the most qualified for the position, we deserve to have it. Regardless of what field it is in. And the same goes for men. And for people who aren't one or the other. It is a human right. That is true equality: being judged by their ability and not by their sex. If you (as in anyone) don't believe that, then you aren't pro-equally. Regardless of what you claim.

*long exhale*

I do agree that feminism is like religion in that a few bad apples can ruin the group's image. Let's take you for an example, DS. I might not agree with all of your beliefs, but I do think you're a good person. And I think it's great your religion is such a big part of your life. But then on the other hand, you have crazy people who use religion to justify all kinds of stupid. -_-

Same goes with feminism. There are people who really, deeply believe in the message (me), but then there are idiots who distort and destroy the message, and that brings down the movement as a whole. It's true for any group, really. The bigger anything gets, the more likely it is to attract idiots.

aoshi

I think IT is a field suitable for women cuz it does not demand anything physically but don't think women have any right to alienate men from IT either. Some women that i know do that, if a guy does a lot of paper-work and software coding, their immediate response is "Why can't you do something physically for a living, you're a man, are'nt ya?".....lol.

As someone who is an active feminist, been a member of a feminist group for over two years, been to conferences, read books, taken classes, been to countless events, and talked to more feminists than I guarantee you know, I know what I'm talking about. Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes, regardless of any classification (sex, race, gender, class, religion, etc.).

tumblr_lw27e95S9k1r4rexto1_250.gif

You didn't know the basic origin behind term Feminism and i even linked wiki page. And you use the word "obvious"?????I'm laughing hysterically now.

And you can report this as well.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think IT is a field suitable for women cuz it does not demand anything physically but don't think women have any right to alienate men from IT either. Some women that i know do that, if a guy does a lot of paper-work and software coding, their immediate response is "Why can't you do something physically for a living, you're a man, are'nt ya?".....lol.
I think IT is a fine job for man or woman, providing they actually know what they are doing. I've seen men and women hopless at their jobs....maybe it's down to bad training these days? :/

Staying at home, running the household and raising children and cooking up gourmet meals is not good enough. Go for more, get into the workforce, climb your way to the top, and do it with flair because you are a woman and you deserve success. Become fully independent, you don't need a man.
Raising children is fine, unless your husband is abusive, a drunk or an adulterer. What if the man leaves for another woman? Wife has no skills to get a job and now the children live in poverty.
So, I don't see it as being about not needing a man, but for being prepared in case the man leaves. These days, there is no certainty with marriage or partnerships, so it's best to be prepared.
If a woman wants a job, let her. Same as if a man wanted to quit his job and look after his children. Besides, children need to see their fathers as much as their mothers. I see nothing wrong with a women having whatever job she wants, or a man being at home with his children.

These are the impressions I got. I've always been one for equality - man or woman, black or white. You ought to get paid for the effort you put into your job, not just for having boobs. You should find a job easily in your field of expertise, and not have the need to go for the careers that most men do.
I don't think it's got anything to do with having boobs. You get paid for doing a job, regardless of how big your chest is. If people really are doing such a bad job, they would be fired or sacked.
And maybe women want to work in IT just because they like IT. I don't think it's fuelled by a need to replace men.
I'd like to see men go into more jobs thought of as traditionally for women. You wouldn't hear me getting upset that men are tring to eliminate women in those jobs. I'd be thinking good for them for doing what they like.^_^

And the women you were talking about. I find it hard to believe they were unable to read an email. You know they don't represent all women working in IT. It's just a few.
There must be competent women out there or they would not be being employed. They don't employ people who would be a loss to the company. That's bad business sense.

I'm not a feminist, but I am pro-equality. I'm also a realist. Women shouldn't be allowed into certain fields of work, IT being one of them.
Plus, if you are for equality, then that would mean that you're also okay with women being equal when it comes to working in IT.
If they know what they are doing, then let women work in IT. I don't see a problem with it so long as the men and women know what they are doing.
Just because a few women your man knows are not representing all women in IT. Just because a few women are lagging behind does not mean all women in IT are like this.
With that kind of thinking, you might as well say men shouldn't be allowed to teach because they're going to molest the children considering it has happened often enough for there to be that image of male teachers. Or men can't be stay at home parents because they'll abuse their own children. If a man wants to be at home with his children or a teach, then let him. Equality is about letting both men and women do what they like with no restrictions based on gender.

The only job I don't think women should do, and men, is being in the army. War is a terrible thing, and men and women should not be involved with it.

Judge people's ability to do a job with what is between their ears, and not what is between the legs.

Top Bottom