• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Escapism

peterjack

So taking this into consideration, what do you think? My fellow forum members, why do you play the games that you do? Is it to escape the mundane cycle of life? So we can think we're not another brick in the wall? So we can take on a life that isn't our own, for the sheer sake of escaping from the drudgery that is this one?

Viper

Premium
Depends on the game, it can be either to feel like a hero, like I'm actually capable of doing things that would normally send me to hospital crying like a baby, or it's to keep my brain active and sharp.

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
Everyone needs a break from reality from time to time. While not the sole reason, this is one of the reasons of existence of art and artforms. Some do it with books, some with music and we do it via games. If your question is "Why specifically games?", well, there are an infinite amount of answers but I believe it comes down to "That's how it's came to be." Either we grew up playing games or got introduced to them by environmental factors at some point. These kind of activities tend to influence one's character, especially at early age. So in a way I'd say games found us, not the other way around.

If what you're asking is "Why do we choose to immerse in escapism?", I'd say there are a lot of things one does not like about one's life. And most of the time those are things you can't immediately change for the better, maybe never at all for you lack the knowledge, power and means to do so. While this topic is extremely subjective, I believe escapism is an evolutionary coping mechanism to give us a breather when we need it to continue living. It takes our minds away from what bothers us and to be honest video games are absolutely amazing at this task.

I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound though. Escapism doesn't necessarily make you a brick on the wall or make you chase after a delusion. As long as you are not abusing it and shutting yourself inside your own mind, I believe it's a pretty healthy thing to do.

Top Bottom