• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Games Need Motion Capture?

Should games have motion capture?

• Total voters

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Like the title said, do you think games need motion capture?

In my opinion, yes, as it allows much more natural facial animation and movements as well as proper lip sync with the voice acting. You can observe a well done motion capture in a game in the video below:

[youtube]5LfZq_OdU80[/youtube]​

For those who like to see how motion capture is carried out, look here:

[youtube]m9yGgtSu5do[/youtube]​

Share your opinion about motion capture, and no flaming, bashing, and whatsoever.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Wouldnt work in every game like the representatives have said but games that require some emotional connection or a deeper character personality could benefit greatly from using it.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;299412 said:
Wouldnt work in every game like the representatives have said but games that require some emotional connection or a deeper character personality could benefit greatly from using it.

Games that focuses more on storyline, I guess?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
YES!

YES!

YES!

My reason is simple. It looks beautiful. It makes you feel like the thing is more realistic, but without taking away the fun that it's a game.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;299413 said:
Games that focuses more on storyline, I guess?

The regular motion capture and that, that is used in L.A Noire are different kinds. I think most games should use either motion capture for full body animations however real time physics are better in games that have lots of action. So the character model doesnt simply recycle motion captured animations over and over it uses real time physics reactions to objects. Euphoria is a good example of a physics engine more people need to get used to using and expand upon.

However story based games could implement the new facial capture to good effect and add a lot to their games.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Facial capturing and such is good for story bits, but physics based movement is awesome for actual gameplay.

fon

Crazy Chick
Oops, I accidentally voted 'no' before I read the first post.
OTL =____=""

I thought the title referred to motion gaming like kinect and wii.
So anyone that sees that, i'm actually a yes.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I vote yes.
Simply because there's no point in going back to the old school ways of doing things since technology has improved majorly. Developers give gamers something new, something better, something faster, and then they have to outdo themselves for whatever is next that they release. No gamer is going to be happy with choppy, jerky animation that looks kinda weird if they've been spoon fed the real deal mocap stuff.

aka958

Don't trust people
Some games? Yes. All games? No.

Threads answer: Yes.

I'm hungry btw. Totally random and off topic I know.

Klawed Flaw

Fallout Nut
Depends on the game. If it's something like Silent Hill, yeah, motion capture kinda would be a no brainer. It just works well. It can make the feeling much easier to trigger.

If the game is something like Pokemon? In the words of the green face from Cybermorph...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObaiI30500

Seriously. Imagine a Pokemon game for a handheld with motion capture? What would it be for? Making the developer bankrupt?

Top Bottom