• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Dante Know?

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Saw this thread on gamefaqs and thought id ask it here. Does dante know that V is Vergil? He acts as though Urizen litterally is vergil but even when nero isn't present treats V like a seperate person. Is it possible that V lied and just had said urizen was a power corrupted vergil or whatnot? And if V did lie to him would trish really not mention anything to dante?

tehrugger

Banned
No, Dante didn't know who V really was.

Dante and Nero both believed that Urizen was a fully demonized Vergil, and that V was just some mysterious guy.

The only person V revealed the truth to was Trish. But she never had a chance to tell Dante.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
It seems that he doesn't know but if we analize some dialogue in the game dante probably know but doesn't reveal this to V or anyone else and just kept it for himself, but the motivation is unknown

When dante first meet griffon, shadow and nightmare in mission 18, griffon reveal to Dante that they are vergil nightmare when he was nelo Angelo and griffon say this exact world to Dante after the revelation: but you knew that already
And dante replay whit this world: come to think of it, I did know something was off...

So dante probably knew that V was a part of vergil, and his familiar were vergil nightmare

Also v is taking whit him the William Blake book when he visited dante at his office, this book can be seen in a flashback in the manga vision of V, in this flashback we saw kid dante and vergil playing tougheter and vergil is reading that exact same book... So dante saw vergil in possession of the book, but didn't react when seeing it in V s hand, why? did he completely forget about that book, or he knew the truth but kept it for himself

Also in mission 12 when dante reach his old home he says that Yamato can separate the man from the devil, but how did he know this? Probably because he knew that vergil used the Yamato to separate himself into two part, V and urizen...

Also at the beginning of mission 18 after vergil disappear in the portal, Nero ask himself what the hell happened to v and dante respond by saying that he returned to himself... So During this cutscene dante came to the conclusion that V is vergil human side, but Nero who should have the same information as dante about V identity didn't came to this conclusion and begin to ask what the hell just happened, while dante got to the right conclusion...

So I personally think that dante knew That V was a part of vergil but dosent express himself about it because he think That maybe V intention are genuine and he is good now, or maybe he played V game to see what he was up to... Also during the beginning of mission 13 when Trish reunite whit dante, she doesn't reveal the truth to Dante probably because she kwow that dante had arrived to this conclusion when meeting V, also if you watch the cutscene in mission 10 the one whit dante, Trish, lady and v arriving inside the qliphot,
V walked away, as soon as he say that he doesn't want to continue inside the three, dante and Trish look at each other suspicious, and when lady say: who was that guy? Can't belive he just run
Dante replayed very quickly whit: no one special

So probably both dante and Trish realize that something was off about V and that he could be a part of vergil, but didn't have the profe about it, Trish get the confirmation in mission 12 while dante probably realize the truth when he wake up in mission 10 and find v in front himself whit the sparda sword, or when v stabbed urizen

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
When I played I thought he did know but it's more likely he found out too late.

Granted I wish he figured it out sooner and confronted V about it. That would have been cool.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Saw this thread on gamefaqs and thought id ask it here. Does dante know that V is Vergil? He acts as though Urizen litterally is vergil but even when nero isn't present treats V like a seperate person. Is it possible that V lied and just had said urizen was a power corrupted vergil or whatnot? And if V did lie to him would trish really not mention anything to dante?
Of course he knows. If Trish put it together not knowing Urizen was Vergil then Dante probably did so faster, too, knowing it was. He goes around with demons named Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare and if those aren't enough hints he calls himself 'V,' carries around Vergil's favorite childhood book of poems, and it even has an active knowledge of him and his history. There is too much of Vergil in him and a lot of it is things only Dante would know and if he didn't know at first he figured it out before long.

Now, did V lie to Dante? Absolutely. V's intention was never to end his life along with Urizen, it was to reunite with him to be whole again but he probably lied to Dante about it to gain favor. 'Now that I'm all human I know what I've done.'

If you look at the way they interact with each other it makes sense how they talk to one another if he knew rather than not. Play the game again and with every line and cutscene assume that Dante does know, from the start, who V is, and every line and look takes a different meaning. Some of it is all vague, sure, but only because the game wanted to keep the whole thing quiet for a surprise but from what I saw, knowing that V is Vergil, Dante definitely gave off vives that he was. There is even a hint of animosity towards V at times, as though he is getting judgemental.

Last edited:

Vergil95

Of course he knows. If Trish put it together not knowing Urizen was Vergil then Dante probably did so faster, too, knowing it was. He goes around with demons named Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare and if those aren't enough hints he calls himself 'V,' carries around Vergil's favorite childhood book of poems, and it even has an active knowledge of him and his history. There is too much of Vergil in him and a lot of it is things only Dante would know and if he didn't know at first he figured it out before long.

Now, did V lie to Dante? Absolutely. V's intention was never to end his life along with Urizen, it was to reunite with him to be whole again but he probably lied to Dante about it to gain favor. 'Now that I'm all human I know what I've done.'

If you look at the way they interact with each other it makes sense how they talk to one another if he knew rather than not. Play the game again and with every line and cutscene assume that Dante does know, from the start, who V is, and every line and look takes a different meaning. Some of it is all vague, sure, but only because the game wanted to keep the whole thing quiet for a surprise but from what I saw, knowing that V is Vergil, Dante definitely gave off vives that he was. There is even a hint of animosity towards V at times, as though he is getting judgemental.
Also if you notice when V waked dante he say this word: I know how stabborn you can be
They chaT like they know each other in that moment but they only see for 1 day

Also I realize myself when first playing whit v in mission 4 that he was connected to vergil, I thinked that vergil masked himself whit some sort of magic or that he entered the body of a human to hide himself...

so if I manage to realize it myself I have no doubt that dante manage to connect V to his brother since he is taking vergil boook whit him and quotes William blacke every two minutes

Sean Gow

This.

Second playthrough is great watching them interact like this.

Also, at the very end when V says he wants to finish Urizen off, Dante leaves him to it for a second, until V starts talking to Urizen. Dante realises he’s up to something and bulrushes him because he knows exactly what he’s about to do.

I think maybe part of him thought he genuinely had good intentions, but was always weary of him.

But yeah there’s no way Dante didn’t know. The book is the biggest factor for me.

There are loads of nice little details you catch on the second playthrough.

When V says to Lady ‘I’m glad to see you look so well’

On first playthrough this comes across as;

‘You were at deaths door earlier and now you’re alive and kicking... but I’m too dark and mysterious to pay you a compliment so this will have to do’

But when you know who V is..

The way he says it is like he’s saying;

‘We haven’t seen each other since we were like, 18, you have no idea who I am, but I’m glad you’re doing okay after all these years and everything you’ve been through’

Love it!

Vergil95

There are little detail in all the game about V true identity and his connection to vergil and the fact that nero is his son, like when Nico is smoking in the van, V do not appreciate it just like nero did in the start of the game...

Top Bottom