• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Dante hate Sparda?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I always wondered something; Did Dante have any ill feelings for his father?

I mean Sparda did walk out on his family before the twins were born, and then demons came after his family, killing his mom and him and his brother being separated. Then they meet but Vergil becomes evil and wants their fathers power with the amulets their mother gave them that can also open hellgates courtousy of their father. Then there's also the demons who are after Dante because of his father's betrayal and the places were Sparda was that was creating contaminated hotspots for Dante to deal with.

If I had to go through all that, I'd totally hate my father for that.

I know Sparda had his reasons, but he could have done better to make sure his family is in better condition.

So I think Dante kind of hates his dad, but not to pure hatred extents.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
There's no statement of when Sparda left, though it likely based on what information we have was when the twins were still very young, probably four or five, since he was able to leave his sword to each of them in a specific fashion. In DMC3, he does indicate he'd rather not acknowledge his father's existence at first, but toward the end, Dante seems to come to understand the burden's and sacrificed his father made

berto

I Saw the Devil
Your information is off. Sparda died when they were young, and while it seems that Dante have vague memories of him he only really seems to hold animosity in DMC3. In 1 he seems to at least respect him if he is making oats of revenge towards his opponents on his name.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well he never saw his father.. and only heard the legend that his father saved the world decades ago.. so he considers Sparda as a passive thought

He doesn't hate him and he doesn't particularly like him either.. except for vergil who's just dead obsessed with his lineage he would've hated sparda if his mother told him as a "bad' person

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Well he never saw his father.. and only heard the legend that his father saved the world decades ago.. so he considers Sparda as a passive thought

Reference your source please, canon suggests that Dante and Vergil DID know there father as very young children before their mother died.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I always assumed Sparda left to protect his family so demons wouldn't attack Eva and the kids when they were at around 6 or 7 and then a year or so later Eva was killed and Dante resented his father because he could have saved Eva and Vergil wanted to live up to Sparda's legacy and not feel powerless again because of their mothers death.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I usually assumed around 5 to 6, but yeah, before Eva died. He may possible have died AFTER that point, but he had to go missing before her murder on/after their 8th birthday.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
He disliked him in 3, and doesn't give a **** on way or the other in the others

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is little indication of how he feels in DMC2 or 4 but he seems irritated in 3 more then spiteful. He seems to have grown to admire his father by 1 'cause otherwise if the guy says 'in the name of my father I will kill Mundus' but then someone repies 'yeah, but you don't really like your father so whatev's' it just doesn't strike as strong.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Reference your source please, canon suggests that Dante and Vergil DID know there father as very young children before their mother died.

what about the intro of DMC 1 ?
Two millenniums ago a demon fought and lived in peace and harmony until HIS DEATH and he became a LEGEND and if he's a LEGEND then its obvious that he's not really a very social guy its also possible that he disguised himself as a human to get help from humans and also to live without notoriety as an ugly demon XD

If Sparda was really alive as Dante/vergil's father Eva wouldn't have been killed by some ordinary hell spawns and as the story goes Dante/vergil were merely 5-7 yr old kids so its kinda obvious that Eva conceived them right before sparda disappeared maybe it was Sparda's plan to make hybrids to protect the human world who knows ?

I just don't get why you always go for the non-obvious assumptions ? maybe you're just like that lol XD

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Dante and Vergil were 8 when Eva was murdered, DmC's version has them as seven. So spards could have been present between anytime from their birth to about 3 to 6 for them to have some memories of him, buit him to not have been aroudn to protect Eva. The fact that they HAVE keepsakes from him(Rebellion and Yamato) implicates that he did spend some time in their lives, even if only a few years.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Dante and Vergil were 8 when Eva was murdered, DmC's version has them as seven. So spards could have been present between anytime from their birth to about 3 to 6 for them to have some memories of him, buit him to not have been aroudn to protect Eva. The fact that they HAVE keepsakes from him(Rebellion and Yamato) implicates that he did spend some time in their lives, even if only a few years.

Hmm you mean Dante&Vergil assumed them as keepsakes right ?

Because i don't see why Sparda didn't protect them when they were in danger and most of all why were they even poor to begin with ? everything hints that Sparda left before he could actually spend quality time with them

and to be blatantly honest i don't remember people i met when i was like 4 or 5 years old so EVEN if sparda did meet them they won't and can't fully remember sparda as a person

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Hmm you mean Dante&Vergil assumed them as keepsakes right ?

Meta-plot outright says Sparda left his swords for them. that means he knew well he had twin sons.

Because i don't see why Sparda didn't protect them when they were in danger and most of all why were they even poor to begin with ? everything hints that Sparda left before he could actually spend quality time with them

DANTE was always broke because of his lousy spending habits, it's implicated that Eva was quite well off until she was murdered, plus, Sparda left and clearly could not be there for one reason or another when Eva was found. But that still means he had been in teh twins lives to some capacity.

and to be blatantly honest i don't remember people i met when i was like 4 or 5 years old so EVEN if sparda did meet them they won't and can't fully remember sparda as a person

They'd have fagments of young memories, and you just kind'a shot your whole "he clearly left before Dante and Vergil were even born" right in the foot with that one....

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
"Meta-plot outright says Sparda left his swords for them. that means he knew well he had twin sons."
Yes but does it say that Sprada handed over them to his like 3 or 5 yr old little boys ?? I don't freaking think so + if they did that they would've outright annihilated the Regular Hell spawns which almost killed them

"DANTE was always broke because of his lousy spending habits, it's implicated that Eva was quite well off until she was murdered, plus, Sparda left and clearly could not be there for one reason or another when Eva was found. But that still means he had been in teh twins lives to some capacity"
He never was a millionaire to begin with that's why Eva lived in a village right ? and its kinda obvious that said if sparda was alive at that time he obviously would've done something to prevent that it also indicates that he was absent from a long long time and i don't really think those "Fragments" of memories mean anything to both vergil&dante

and + Sparda worked in the human world for "Peace&Harmony" so that means that he didn't have enough time to spend with his family anyway

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
"Meta-plot outright says Sparda left his swords for them. that means he knew well he had twin sons."
Yes but does it say that Sprada handed over them to his like 3 or 5 yr old little boys ?? I don't freaking think so + if they did that they would've outright annihilated the Regular Hell spawns which almost killed them

It does mean he had enough presence in their lives to will the swords to them. Plus 8 year old cambions are still little kids, especially with mother telling them to hide.

"DANTE was always broke because of his lousy spending habits, it's implicated that Eva was quite well off until she was murdered, plus, Sparda left and clearly could not be there for one reason or another when Eva was found. But that still means he had been in teh twins lives to some capacity"
He never was a millionaire to begin with that's why Eva lived in a village right ? and its kinda obvious that said if sparda was alive at that time he obviously would've done something to prevent that it also indicates that he was absent from a long long time and i don't really think those "Fragments" of memories mean anything to both vergil&dante

...Seriously, were are you getting this? What village? She's dressed very modest but formal in her photo that Dante keeps, which indicates Eva had a good support net under her and her boys.

and + Sparda worked in the human world for "Peace&Harmony" so that means that he didn't have enough time to spend with his family anyway

Sparda "quietly reigned the human world for a time", then disappeared, So I'd say while he was hiding out as a normal human, covering his tracks, that's when he met Eva, had the twins, then at some point in their young childhood vanished to try and protect his family, only for Mundus' forces to find Eva and the boys. I'd seriously like to know why you insist he pulled an Inu no Taishou and vanished/died before or when the twins were born. That's like forcing teh story to included EVERY overused Anime cliche possible.

TheOneGirl

I always wondered something; Did Dante have any ill feelings for his father?

I mean Sparda did walk out on his family before the twins were born, and then demons came after his family, killing his mom and him and his brother being separated. Then they meet but Vergil becomes evil and wants their fathers power with the amulets their mother gave them that can also open hellgates courtousy of their father. Then there's also the demons who are after Dante because of his father's betrayal and the places were Sparda was that was creating contaminated hotspots for Dante to deal with.

If I had to go through all that, I'd totally hate my father for that.

I know Sparda had his reasons, but he could have done better to make sure his family is in better condition.

So I think Dante kind of hates his dad, but not to pure hatred extents.

This whole business started with my father sealing the entrance between the two worlds, quite frankly at first I didn't give a damn, but because of you, I know whats important now.
-Dante
th

AftertheBreakCrack

No, he doesn't hate Sparda. But he doesn't like having to deal with everybody trying to take out their rage for his father on him, so maybe by transitive property he could develop negative feelings toward him. He's pretty ambivalent about it.

Top Bottom