• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
...Consider the manga/anime/novels as part of the canon when discussing DMC on the forum? Or just the games?

I ask because I seem to be regarding the games only as canon and then I have to take the others into account later... just wondered how others feel about them, whether it's just the usual to consider them all when discussing characters or events etc.

Basically, should we consider them all when getting stuck into a discussion or just stick with the games.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
i think the anime manga and novels should be treated as canon except for the parts that contradict the games.

Demon619

Deadman walking
As long as they dont screw with anything that happens in the games, I think they are cannon.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Got it.

Anyone want to list any of the major contradictions...? I probably don't even know some of them.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Nero, being Vergil's son? That's one that springs instantly to mind.
I don't think they should be classed as canon.
They are contradicions and, i don't think they carry the capcom logo.

That's my two cents anyway.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
So far he parts that are automatically considered cannon are the ones that Koba is in[after DMC3].So that means : the anime and the DMC3 manga are cannon.I remember SParda going around saying that the DMC1 novel was canon too,but I've never read it.

Keaton

Premium
The anime has been confirmed as canon and so have (some of the Manga).
While the novels are still 'officially' in the deep grey area of the unconfirmed, I stand under the reasoning that until it's approved it's not canon.

There are far too many crazy variables in the Devil May Cry story that are messed up exponentially every time a new book or Manga is released.
As for Nero being Vergils son, TBH, I can accept that.

It ties things together neatly and also gives Vergil a reason to come back, which I'll gladly have! ^_^

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I will be honest I don't pay attention to them. As far as I am concerned all that stuff is not supposed to add anything significant to the games as a lot of people who casually follow the series are not going to bother tracking this stuff down. Anything that really matters like the origin of Nero or the awakening of Vergil should be wrapped up in a game and not some obscure japanese manga where only hardcore fans will bother finding it.

Keaton

Premium
^Agreed.
If anything is mentioned in the game, it's auto-canon, otherwise I keep an open mind until it's confirmed ^^

Afterall, the story should be open to people who follow the games only, not follow the anime, books, mangas etc etc too.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Well...the manga was supossed to be a worldwide success[that's what Koba and the rest hoped...seeing that Vergil is very popular].For reasons unknown[supossedly] it was cancelled and the retailers refused to sell more than a certain amount of copies for unknown reasons[these really are unknown] unless there was a fan demand.Yeah...stupid...and then Koba made Special Edition to calm the fans.

Now the anime,it would utter kidding to say it's not a success.I won't say that people won't notice it,but compared to the manga,it was what Koba hoped : a worldwide success.

Now as Keaton,said better keep an open mind,as there is nothing confirmed from neither Koba nor the rest of the team.

That's about it.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
So people like Enzo and Alice can be considered canon characters... -_-

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Nope.Koba was heavily involved and it was for more than just fun.It was also to promote DMC4.If it were in chronological order of the cannon stuff we have :

DMC 3 Manga
DMC 3/Special Edition
DMC
DMC anime
DMC 4
DMC 2

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Keaton;254000 said:
Afterall, the story should be open to people who follow the games only, not follow the anime, books, mangas etc etc too.

^ I like this!

As long as Patty stays in the anime and doesn't pollute the DMC world anymore I'm happy! :-D

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Apart from getting a "Let's annoy Nero the moment he sets foot in the shop" scene,I really can't imagine her in the games.And unfortunatelly Morisson won't be in...

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Devil Bane;254174 said:
Apart from getting a "Let's annoy Nero the moment he sets foot in the shop" scene,I really can't imagine her in the games.And unfortunatelly Morisson won't be in...

Patty can do far more than annoy Nero. she can annoy everyone.

( note: i am glad Patty was included in the anime and think she needs to appear in something else)

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
As annoying as Patty was that was obviously the whole point behind her character. It isn't fair to be a fan of someone like Dante who goes around irritating demons with his backchat all the time and say that Patty is too annoying to be in DMC.
I thought they were a better double act than Dante & Trish and Dante & Lady put together as it felt like Dante had his own little mini Dante running around constantly pestering him and never giving a minutes peace. I loved that.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Sadly Patty won't be in anything else as Vergil found her very annoying and i helped him to barricade her in a closet. The door can't be opened because i doused the key in acid, and it has now melted :D

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
^ Hurrah!

I just don't think a characer like Patty should have anything to do with the DMC series. Dante is annoying enough without another even more annoying character.

The anime would have and could have been so much better. Anyway sorry I seem to have turned this into a Patty hating thread!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom