• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC's influence on other games

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I can't think on a list right now, but you can see Devil May Cry as the Street Fighter II of the hack'n'slash genre. And even Devil May Cry made some paralalel fighting-game concepts and techs: cancels like sword-cancel or jump-cancel, command moves and a lot of other things translated to that 3D gameplay; the Ninja Gaiden series takes this to a whole other extension even including grabs, crumple-states and a ****load of mechanics that was already introduced in fighting games.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
just picked up the ghost rider game...kinda reminded me of something i played before...GOD OF WAR...guess which that game reminds me of...
it's just crazy how DMC has heavily influenced other videogames. any other one's that i've missed?
LOL yeah i remember that game.. it was kinda cool but in the end just a cheap knock off of god of war/devil may cry especially those fixed camera angles.

Its kinda funny but yeah its true that Devil may cry&God of war has revitalized hack'n'slash genre because of its immense success.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
It's not just DMC with-- :troll:

**Gets beaten up by Jak**

Batman-Punch.jpg

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Every single hack 'n slash game owes its existence to Devil May Cry. yes, that even includes the ****ty ones.
That's a little... absolutist, don't you think? Personally, I think DMC took it's "juggle-physics" idea from Virtua Fighter, and it's "slash-em-up" main gameplay frame from Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage.

It's just that I take issue when I see people say that modern action games owe everything to DMC (especially since it owes a lot of its inspiration to Symphony of the Night and Blade) and nothing else.

I'm not saying you said that, but that post would certainly give that impression, in my point of view.

I'm not saying you have to agree, I'm just saying, that I consider making statements like that just may be jumping the gun a little. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

The fist of Justice.

This also reminds me of :
tumblr_inline_mrgwyjt5KH1qz4rgp.jpg

How can you not love Batman though?:lol:

Every single hack 'n slash game owes its existence to Devil May Cry. yes, that even includes the ****ty ones.

Hmm, a little bit of generalizing I guess.

I'd say Devil May Cry was one of the first games that introduced the concept of stylish gameplay,hard difficulties and complex combat.
Not every hack n slash has its inspiration based on it,but for its time DMC was very appreciated as a Hack N Slash genre because it was something new.

Meg

Hmm, a little bit of generalizing I guess.

I'd say Devil May Cry was one of the first games that introduced the concept of stylish gameplay,hard difficulties and complex combat.
Not every hack n slash has its inspiration based on it,but for its time DMC was very appreciated as a Hack N Slash genre because it was something new.

That's a little... absolutist, don't you think? Personally, I think DMC took it's "juggle-physics" idea from Virtua Fighter, and it's "slash-em-up" main gameplay frame from Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage.

It's just that I take issue when I see people say that modern action games owe everything to DMC (especially since it owes a lot of its inspiration to Symphony of the Night and Blade) and nothing else.

I'm not saying you said that, but that post would certainly give that impression, in my point of view.

I'm not saying you have to agree, I'm just saying, that I consider making statements like that just may be jumping the gun a little. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

It's not generalizing at all. Devil May Cry may have been inspired by other things (everything takes ideas from something else), but it was the first hack 'n slash game. Without DMC, other hack 'n slash games wouldn't exist because the genre wouldn't exist. It's really simple. I never said all other hack 'n slash games were inspired by DMC. Rather they just exist because DMC paved the way for them.

No one would argue that all other FPS don't owe their existence to games like Doom and Wolfenstein (and I guess Catacomb). Like with any genre, a game gets made that introduces a new style of gaming, and other games copy it. These games are considered knock offs or copies, or at least inspired by, until enough have been made that this new style of play becomes it's own genre. Devil May Cry was the first hack 'n slash game. It created a new genre of games. Therefore, all other hack 'n slash games owe their existence to DMC.

Only hack n' slash games are like that. Action games as a whole don't owe their existence to DMC. There is a difference between stylish action games and hack 'n slash. Games like inFAMOUS and Assassin's Creed are action games, but they aren't hack n' slash. Games like Viewtiful Joe are stylish action games, but aren't hack 'n slash.

Do you see what I mean now?

aoshi

May be we should have a thread where did DMC take some of its core elements from?????:shifty:

The upper-cut(most used move) seems to be from street fighter.

Also style meter is similar to number of hits in succession. However, hits will stop accumulating and drop to zero at the end of the combo but style meter will not drop to zero until we get hit(only a matter of time and drops steadily with time).

Juggling - I first saw juggling in a tekken game on PS 1. So may be the concept got evolved more into aerial combat. Actually, Street fighter too has aerial moves but not as freely as DMC. Although tekken(PS 1) does not allow aerial juggling, we can juggle with ourselves grounded.I think Street fighter 3rd strike has good juggling combined with wall bounce and such. In Street fighter alpha 3, V-ism lets us juggle but only after reaching the ground and jumping back up unlike DMC where both ourself and enemy can be airborne.But idea of juggling has been before DMC, that i am sure.

Taunting - Again from street fighter games or any other game prior. IDK..But i have seen taunting in street fighter.

Button mashing - Chun li(Street fighter) has button mashing move which gives a lot of hits(automatic) in short time but not great damage in case of DMC(unless coupled with DT charge or any other passive attack). Button mashing move was signatory of all melee weapons for dante in DMC 3. In DMC 4 though, gilgamesh didn't have a button mashing move.

Devil trigger/Super combo system - Brief release of a very heavy attack(automatic hits). Street fighter has a super combo gauge which utilized will result in a heavy damage with great number of hits than any regular manual combo.Combo gauge once used will need to replenished with regular attacks and manual combos plus skill-full play. Devil trigger works in a similar way, except works better on little bit of improvisation depending on the situation. Like in DMC 4 , Devil trigger gives distortion and extra sky star, extra air-hike than jus dealing heavy damage like street fighter. DT also needs to be replenished with regular attacks and skillful play once used up.In DMC 3, Its big advantage is charging it and in case of vergil summoned swords charging which will deal great damage if mixed with regular attacks and is dependent on Devil trigger.

So DMC takes some core elements from 2-D action games of capcom.

Meg

snip for space
Exactly. :)

Like I said in another thread, everything takes ideas from something else. Although I think I should modify that statement to, no idea is new. It's just how you string ideas together that makes something new. Like what you were saying. :) Devil May Cry has ideas that are also in different games (no knowing if they were stolen or just multiple people having the same idea). And then all these different gameplay mechanics are strung together to make something new. And now we have a new franchise that gave birth to a new genre. :D

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
As aoshi and Meg stated, DMC defined a genre, that's why DMC can be considered the SF2 of the hack'n'slash genre. SF2 was the game that actually shaped 2D fighting games how they are. DMC created that model for the hack'n'slash genre in that same way.

Top Bottom