• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC5 Mission Ranks will be easier

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DmJmFzdVsAAKZbr.jpg

It's possible that he means specifically in contrast to the demo version, as in context minutes before he was talking about how it was made exceptionally hard to get an S rank in the demo.

However, in a broader sense, I find it kind of interesting that Itsuno is proudly implementing quite a few things from DmC in DMC5, things that were often regarded distastefully: slow-motion final blows; rank-influenced music; a more lenient grading system; a better camera.

Exejpgwmv

The final blows, music shift, and cameras are definitely something I'm glad they kept in.

Small little improvements make all the difference for me.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well the demo did seem heavily edited for demo purposes.

I mean it starts off with a cutscene where Nico says Morrison has a letter for them (his manifesto) and its a guide about the Devil Breakers (something Nico should know about instead) and then your outside and when you reach the hotel its the lobby area. It skips and you're not in the lobby but in another room and some time have passed. Obviously the middle part was skipped and thus the mission ranking was altered to work with it and I guess they made it hard on purpose or accidentally made it hard.

Or they made it a bit easier due to feedback.

However, in a broader sense, I find it kind of interesting that Itsuno is proudly implementing quite a few things from DmC in DMC5, things that were often regarded distastefully: slow-motion final blows; rank-influenced music; a more lenient grading system; a better camera.

Outside the more lenient grading system I don't recall people complaining about these. Maybe be ambivalent to them or in the case of rank-influenced music outright didn't know it was there.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Does this mean i don't have to look EVERY nook&cranny for those red orbs to get an S rank? i can just do really good at combat and finish it ASAP to get an S rank? That'd be NEAT!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Does this mean i don't have to look EVERY nook&cranny for those red orbs to get an S rank? i can just do really good at combat and finish it ASAP to get an S rank? That'd be NEAT!

Ha, who knows. We've at least seen that DMC5 will break down and score each encounter individually, similar to Bayonetta. DmC's rankings were made more lenient when you didn't have to find secrets all over again, so at least the time spent exploring was cut out from subsequent runs. That's kind of the bigger problem with having Time as a factor in scoring, but I can't remember if it is in the Mission ranking from the demo.

It'd be nice for the mission to score on things that are a little bit more pertinent to the gameplay, and not the ol' mainstays from the series' Resident Evil days. If yah put secrets in your levels, I should be penalized for lookin' for 'em!

Outside the more lenient grading system I don't recall people complaining about these. Maybe be ambivalent to them or in the case of rank-influenced music outright didn't know it was there.

Don't you remember, DmC could do nothing right! Slow-motion final blows were complained about as...breaking up the flow or something, which made no sense since it happened at the end of combat and is, y'know...pretty stylish. The rank-influenced music, more part of a mess of complaints about difficulty, which has now flipped to the other side of the coin to being elitist pricks that game journos won't be hearing any of the music because they're bad at their jobs.

Rather than just possible, I'd say that's pretty much the case. He wasn't talking about it in relation to past Devil May Cry titles, he was addressing the system the way it is in the demo.

Most likely, but there were waves of excitement when people heard how strict the grading was, seeming to hope that it was a change inherent to the title itself, not just the build.

Speaking of, did missions have different score thresholds depending on the difficulty you played on? Like, getting an S on Normal is different than on Dante Must Die, per se? I never even thought about it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Speaking of, did missions have different score thresholds depending on the difficulty you played on? Like, getting an S on Normal is different than on Dante Must Die, per se? I never even thought about it.

I don't know for sure about DMC4 (for some reason I never cared about my ranking in that game, unlike the previous ones) but in DMC3 it was the case, so I imagine they kept it.

Top Bottom