• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"DmC to have Satire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
But I am giggling about those comments. According to you, I am allowed to do so and state that opinion on this forum. Well, everyone else is allowed to. For some reason, you don't like that I am stating my opinion. Maybe you should try and take your own advice and just let people have their opinions, hm?
^^

What I do not like is when people throw insults and call people names and such.

I do not like it when someone looks down their nose at someone and call people narrominded and stuff like that.
But yea, lets get back on topic shall we.

Asmodaius

What I do not like is when people throw insults and call people names and such.

I do not like it when someone looks down their nose at someone and call people narrominded and stuff like that.
But yea, lets get back on topic shall we.

I only do when I find it justified. I am sorry if you feel offended by it.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Asmodaius... that is fair enough. Give me constructive discussion over a shoutboard anyday. But also, nobody should jump down anyone's throat just because they say they don't like something. Or even if they flame the game, because it's nothing personal to any of us.

I've held my tongue for over a year about the game now though, hoping to see a little more from NT that interests me, and now that a little more gameplay and artwork has been shown I just want to say that I'm dismayed. It shouldn't bug anyone here that I feel that way.

Even at its most dramarific, DMC.Org hasn't stooped to the level GameFAQs or CU forums have over DmC, lulz.

Asmodaius

Justified huh lol.

according to who? you?

"When I find it justified"... so yeah, according to me. I thought I made it rather clear in my post...

Asmodaius... that is fair enough. Give me constructive discussion over a shoutboard anyday. But also, nobody should jump down anyone's throat just because they say they don't like something. Or even if they flame the game, because it's nothing personal to any of us.

I've held my tongue for over a year about the game now though, hoping to see a little more that interests me, and now that a little more gameplay and artwork has been shown I want to say that I'm dismayed. It shouldn't bug anyone that I feel that way.

In truth, many of your posts are rather well-thought through and you give some very good arguements. I respect that. You show your dismay in a good and constructive way in many of your posts which leads to a good debate instead of bitching and whining. And I'd love to see more of that from others as well. ^^

But when I see someone make a rather distasteful post, then yes, I get distasteful as well. It's a flaw of mine, along with many others, and it usually leads to ToCool gettin rather defensive on behalf of the "haters".

As to the main topic of this thread, I do indeed wonder where NT is going with this... satire. It kinda suggests that Dante will be more smug and sarcastic, doesn't it? Or maybe it will be some key plots in the very storyline that will indicate the satire in the game. But why make such a statement to begin with? Why say "DMC will have satire"? Is it really all that important for us to know at this stage?

I'd rather know what the storyline will be about, who we will see in the game, how the gameplay will be like... I just find the very topic of this thread rather unnecessary, you know. So the game will have satire... so? What can we use this information for?

Ultima

Obsessed Green Day Fangirl ^^
I think he's making the story up as he goes along....

^ Thnx God someone else, besides me, thinks this! Its obvious tht he is, I mean, every week they come out with some new tht makes everyone all "WTF? I didnt think they would do tht!" and "Where r they going with this D:??" (ex. one minute they say its a reboot then they turn around and say its an orgin story ( and would someone b as kind to tell me which one it is?? is it both?? Im confizzled :confused:) and ok maybe I overexargated at every week lol)

Im not trying to b hating, Im excitied for this game, im curious to c wat NT and Capcom r gonna do with this. Hell, when it comes out half of the ppl hating on it will prolly love it...but enough outta me Ive been blabbering again lol!

V

Oldschool DMC fan
As to the main topic of this thread, I do indeed wonder where NT is going with this... satire. It kinda suggests that Dante will be more smug and sarcastic, doesn't it? Or maybe it will be some key plots in the very storyline that will indicate the satire in the game. But why make such a statement to begin with? Why say "DMC will have satire"? Is it really all that important for us to know at this stage?

Weird, yeah. I'm not sure the target audience they are (apparently) going for will be especially interested or excited to see satire or any kind of current social commentary... in the same way all the Call of Duty players I know really don't seem bothered whether the game contains missions in Afghanistan or terrorists or proxy wars or what such things say about what's currently going on out there. They just tend to talk about liking it for the action/characters and how easy it is to pick up and play with your friends. I don't see a whole lot of satire in the original DMC series, so I imagine the oldschool fans of that too aren't really looking for any either.

And yeah, I can see this Dante being smug and sarcastic over the way the old Dante behaved.

I'd rather know what the storyline will be about, who we will see in the game, how the gameplay will be like... I just find the very topic of this thread rather unnecessary, you know. So the game will have satire... so? What can we use this information for?

They're being pretty tight-lipped about what else is actually in the game. . . maybe their silence tells us more than their hints do. >.>

OriginalOutcast

We're going completely off topic here. You all have a right to express a Viewpoint and i"m not asking you to like or dislike something. I was simply sharing an article about how Tameem is approaching the plot and his attempt to add "Satire" to the storytelling. Whether or not this will be properly conveyed when the final product is out remains to be seen.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
*sneaks into discussion she knows NOTHING about* Does anyone think the satire will be heavily influenced by the fact that NT is a British company? Not trying to make waves here but British satire in particular can be a rather acquired taste and if NT get it wrong, perhaps it may alienate quite a few people who don't "get" it?

From what limited amounts of the other DMC games I have seen in the past, satire has not been present in the sense of how I understand it, but then I could be very wrong as is often the case. I've seen attempts at humour but not anything akin to an acerbic wit that I would associate with a satirical approach. Having said that, I don't think the usual one-liners said by DMC Dante would fit with the new style of this game so perhaps a darker, more subtle and contemptuous approach to making lulz is befitting?

/waffling

Asmodaius

We're going completely off topic here.

Yes, we got off-topic, but if you notice the recent posts, we got back on it. So don't worry. ^^

*sneaks into discussion she knows NOTHING about* Does anyone think the satire will be heavily influenced by the fact that NT is a British company? Not trying to make waves here but British satire in particular can be a rather acquired taste and if NT get it wrong, perhaps it may alienate quite a few people who don't "get" it?

From what limited amounts of the other DMC games I have seen in the past, satire has not been present in the sense of how I understand it, but then I could be very wrong as is often the case. I've seen attempts at humour but not anything akin to an acerbic wit that I would associate with a satirical approach. Having said that, I don't think the usual one-liners said by DMC Dante would fit with the new style of this game so perhaps a darker, more subtle and contemptuous approach to making lulz is befitting?

/waffling

That's actually a good question. British satire is indeed a genre for itself, however, so is Japanese satire, and I think Capcom did well with putting humour into the past games which most people get. Hopefully NT will do the same.

OriginalOutcast

From what limited amounts of the other DMC games I have seen in the past, satire has not been present in the sense of how I understand it, but then I could be very wrong as is often the case.

DMC4 is the only known sequel that takes Satirical Jabs at Cultism & Religion and made viewers question their preconceptions of good & evil. It was Witty, Funny, Romantic, Epic but above all kept me entertained.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
@ Angel: Yep! I guess Dante might be a mix of (mild!) Brit 'punk' attitude/appearance and something that appeals to the U.S. gamers, (that being their priority market?). Something that only UK players understand/recognize would be counterproductive to CAPCOM's top goal in making the game appeal more widely...

I mean, I had to look into the 70s punk culture phenomenon myself to understand it properly, its roots and its influence, and I'm a Brit... so if they go too deep into anything satirically British, esp. punk, a lot of gamers out there would probably be scratching their heads. Besides which, I'm not sure today's "disenfranchised youth" are quite the same as the punk vibe I'm getting here with the scruffiness, the "f*ck you" expression/body language, mugshots and cigarettes in faces.

My uncle was a punk back in the day (a very nice guy, with the scruffy clothes, safety pins, army boots and the pink/green mohican and chip on the shoulder about the State - till he got into the VG industry himself - and he explained punk to me. It's definitely not on the level of today's apolitical youth culture... I mean, real 70s punk is very political, very idealistic, even when it's not - compared to today's youth attitudes). Not to mention, those attitudes have kind of moved on, political parties have converged... "everyone is aspiring middle class now", apparently, lol?

This new Dante isn't really 'punk' to look at, it's mainly that Brit flag on his arm that got people using the term I suppose. I guess he's a hint of punk in some ways, but he's actually quite contemporary and there's some kind of fashion statement in there, as NT seem heavily into making one.

But yeah, how far this satire can go in this game I wonder. I doubt it'll be Brit satire of any great depth. If I were designing the game, I know that probably wouldn't appeal en masse to U.S. players.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
DMC4 is the only known sequel that takes Satirical Jabs at Cultism & Religion and made viewers question their preconceptions of good & evil. It was Witty, Funny, Romantic, Epic but above all kept me entertained.
I suppose it depends on your own sense of humour to a degree - I've never found anything within what I've seen of the DMC games to be even remotely witty or amusing but then that's just me. Those more well-acquainted with the franchise will no doubt have a better understanding than I of how the humour works within the games.

@Lexy: I'm just curious as to what definition and style of satire NT are planning to introduce with DmC...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Ah, I think I can guess what they mean by satire now...

Tameem says in DmC, the demons are secretly observing the human population, and putting them down. He makes direct comparisons in the interview on Gamespot to society at large (UK society and current events especially):

"There's a reason why Dante's angry and why he hates the demons. They put people down, the demons, through whatever means. Like... ...we showed the demons are surveying the population through their cameras. In the demon world, those cameras are demonic eyes, and things. It's the same reason the youth today are angry... demonic politicians fiddling expenses, demonic media moguls tapping into our phones and things, and demonic bankers screwing everyone over."

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/video/6330068/dmc-gamescom-2011-interview

Meg

Actually, satire doesn't have to be funny to be satire. Satire is simply pointing out the flaws in something by using ridicule. While more often than not it IS meant to be funny, it doesn't have to be in order to be satire. So its possible that the new DmC game will be satirical without very many lols. :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
That seems to be what Tameem was getting at. If there's funny at all, it's going to be a pretty sardonic kind of funny.

Reactions: Meg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom