• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

Mr Anderson

gun slinging sword master
And i dont know how he could have been abducted because remember much stronger and faster he got when his devil was unleashed

Mr Anderson

gun slinging sword master
i think this is an alternate universe that has nothing to do with the regular dmc universe except it has a dante not the original an alternate one

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
But if this took place after DMC3 how would you explain such a shift in his character?
can you define which shift you're talking about?
I've only thought about this once today so its gonna take me a while to work out the kinks.
i haven't figure out the shift in look but i think that that figure that Dante has become is how his subconscious is viewing himself as the drugs and experiments are taking their toll on him as well their attempts at brainwashing took effect. The subcontinents tends to interpret things in weird ways and is unpredictable. Besides Dante is not an artist so his memory isn't that good.
The shift in personality could be explained to him being ticked about getting experimented on.He was already sadistic to begin with the example of him riding a demon like a skateboard.He always kick the smoking habit as well as it was something never brought up in main canon as the DMC1 light novel was pushed aside by DMC3 so that gives us a little wiggle room.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Okay, so, judging by the trailer we've been given at E3, I'd like to toss in a theory that's been floating around since. Theories that, in my eyes at least, seem somewhat reasonable.

We know it's an origin story, that much is clear. Hence it's possible to suggest that these are, perhaps, his Tony Redgrave days, or not, what the hell do I know.
But anyway, given the context of the initial trailer, ie: that he was transferred to a mental institution, plus the various quotes from the trailer, such as "Their city is an illusion." "Do not accept the world as it is." and so on, could suggest that the city itself is a construction of the demons, or some sort of greater demon at least, for them to toy around with the humans living there.

Now, given Dante's half demon blood, he's going to be able to see them where (probably) no one else can, and if he's made it known that he can see them...Well, therein lies the reason for him being transferred to a mental institution.

At the very least, it's an origin story before his powers came to any real fruition, probably not as controlled, probably more reckless, by far not as nimble or as agile (possible excuse for the seemingly slower looking gameplay), and given that his "devil trigger" appears to throw him more towards the appearance we know, red jacket, white hair, could be that something happens towards the end of the game that has him adopt the look permanently.

Just a theory, and one I like, and hey, that's what this thread is for.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Angelo Credo: your theory makes total sense and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the story was. It adds up with the whole "what is your name" thing and then at the end of the game he can realize that he is Dante. Which would mean that he had the guns before he became Dante (as we've seen in the trailers) and thus explaining why they say Tony Redgrave on them. However, at the end of your theory you pose it as a look he later adopts. Let me, instead, suggest this: maybe, when he fully realizes who he is, he becomes somewhat "awakened" and, therefore, his hair turns white, as does his jacket. Or maybe a hybrid of both of our theories and he's awakened and his hair turns and then he decides to don the jacket. Either way, you gave it a lot of thought, and until i see further evidence to the contrary, I agree with you. I would just like to see how they put Vergil in now. And if this is indeed a complete reboot, I'd like to see if they include something about Nero, maybe he could be another demon hunter (though possibly no blood relation).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I always just thought Tony Redgrave was his regular name like the one that would be on his birth certificate because im sure sparda lived under an assumed name to make sure his family could have some peace.
I think you are talking about a glamour that is cast upon the humans to prevent them from knowing about the supernatural.
I hope that the demons aren't one note and that they do something with the forgotten mantra of not every demon being evil and not every human is good.
I'm wondering if we need Nero as a character probably because he doesn't have a person since he was just a young dante clone that they can afford to develop and do things with that they cant do with Dante because fans would nag.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Ahem the pruple can indicate many things.

If can indicate lightning, Nero, Nevan and among other thing that have taked the pruple color, also in DMC3 all lgihtning were purple and has the gun are supposed to be shot with demonic energy i think they just decided to stick with that.

ALASTOR BROKE OUTTA MOVIEWORLD AND TRIED TO DISGUISE HIMSELF AS DANTE!! :eek:

You call? *snaps fingers, finger electrify* :cool:

*grips Alastor's handle* okay...BACK INTO THE SWORD U GO!! :mad:

Railazel

This is a weird theory but I starting to get the feeling that the new Dante is a mix between Dante and Vergil. The reasons why are simple: 1) He wears a mix between Red and Blue, instead of the traditional Red. 2) He's extremely ruthless and cold. 3) The whole "what is your name?" thing and the fact that he's in an illusionary world, which indicates that he's going through some identity/personality manipulation. And (4) The lack of Vergil. Canonically, Dante and Vergil seemingly held a good amount of contact until a year before DMC 3, so if this reboot takes place before DMC 3, Vergil should be there, but he isn't... So where did he go? This'll be some f*cked up crap if I'm right.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I really dont see it because his demeanor reminds me more of dante than vergil plus he isn't wearing blue because i think you are mistaking the black parts of his coat for blue.

i dont know if he is any more ruthless than before but he is more obvious with because his old self would hide it with grandstanding, ex- riding demons like skateboard. He was always a cold character to me because i never felt he cared about anyone else till the last part of dmc3.

The lack of vergil could explained by them keeping him close to the vest till they do a story trailer in order to prevent another outlash.

Bubbarocks07

In my opinion, it would be cool to walk by other civilians in dmc reboot. In the other games it was mostly you and demons..... it showed civilians in the trailer(gameplay)

Jerry

Any ideas why the police are after him? I'm not sure if they are exactly after him, but the picture with him holding that Limbo Police thing makes me think he did something horrible or something. In a somewhat recent interview, some NT guys said the younger Dante expressed his "anger" through violence. Either THAT is why he is being targeted, or the government is just corrupt...

Vergil&Dante

Bring Vergil back!!!
Any ideas why the police are after him? I'm not sure if they are exactly after him, but the picture with him holding that Limbo Police thing makes me think he did something horrible or something. In a somewhat recent interview, some NT guys said the younger Dante expressed his "anger" through violence. Either THAT is why he is being targeted, or the government is just corrupt...

Maybe they put him into the asylum because he sees things "demons" and behave strangely when he sees them.. and perhaps demons are using the towns camera to track him down...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Too early too tell but im guessing that limbo city is a spiritual nexus of sorts where we have the world of humans living right next to this supernatural dimension where all these demons live. I assuming they have some control because they got two keep the worlds separate because humans aren't the most accepting bunch.

Look, for some reason i dont really beleive in dante's innate goodness the same way you guys do because of the ****ty writing of four etc so im going to be a little out there.

I'm guessing he was a criminal who did something bad ranging from pickpocketing to murder and was arrested and put into prison where some scientist was experimenting on criminals by giving them demon cells or such and found out who dante was as a happy accident.

The really out there theory would be the demons captured him because he broke the barrier between the two worlds and gave them a whole mess of trouble to sort out. They know of him just dont like him very much and thinks he is a rabid dog that might need to be put down because he does not distinguish between a bad demon and a good demon. plus he is a self-serving douchebag who was none of the strengths of his father including the compassionate nature sparda had.

Lulu_Way

DMC Fan X
Personally i think that this new game is an origin story, before DMC3 or any of the other games. It probably takes place during the time after dante's mother is killed and he's seperated from Vergil. Thus making him the ****ed off teenager we see in this new game. He probably hates all demons for what they did to his mother, because his father was a demon and hates himself for being half demon.

1) The Hair: It probably was black when he was born and started to get white as he and his powers grew. In the new trailer, his hair turns all white. This is probably some from of Devil Trigger.

2) The smoking: Most teenagers these days smoke cuz they think it makes them look cool and as a way of rebelling against their parents. Dante has been described in the past as "too cool to smoke", in this game he's very rebellious and young and probably does what he thinks looks cool. (does this sorta make sense?)

3) The new attitude: He's Young. His parents are dead. He has no family. He has powers he doesn't even understand. <-- This explains why he's so ****ed off and angry.

Overall i think this game is to show the period between when his parents died to when he became teh dante we all know and love. his hair will probably turn white permanently when he either gets to a certain age or embraces his demonic heritage.

Personally i think that this new game is an origin story, before DMC3 or any of the other games. It probably takes place during the time after dante's mother is killed and he's seperated from Vergil. Thus making him the ****ed off teenager we see in this new game. He probably hates all demons for what they did to his mother, because his father was a demon and hates himself for being half demon.

1) The Hair: It probably was black when he was born and started to get white as he and his powers grew. In the new trailer, his hair turns all white. This is probably some from of Devil Trigger.

2) The smoking: Most teenagers these days smoke cuz they think it makes them look cool and as a way of rebelling against their parents. Dante has been described in the past as "too cool to smoke", in this game he's very rebellious and young and probably does what he thinks looks cool. (does this sorta make sense?)

3) The new attitude: He's Young. His parents are dead. He has no family. He has powers he doesn't even understand. <-- This explains why he's so ****ed off and angry.

Overall i think this game is to show the period between when his parents died to when he became teh dante we all know and love. his hair will probably turn white permanently when he either gets to a certain age or embraces his demonic heritage.
Nice theory, good explanation...I partially agree to this (because I'm a reboot fan, not prequel fan).
I like third point the best.
But I cannot imagine how can this Dante become the "Dante we all know and love".

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
one little thing bout da hair, in the DMC3 manga, he hair silver hair during a flashback (i'm sure it was the first manga but i may be wrong) and it was either right after or during Eva's murder

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
Here's my humorous (though no where near canon to the existing storyline theory behind Devil May Cry):

Throughout DMC 1,2 and 3, Dante is an up and coming pizza shop entrepreneur. He keeps having to relocate his shop because the thugs and hooligans (the thugs being the game bosses and the hooligans being the demons) kept harassing him. So he keeps relocating his shop in an effort to find a place to open his pizza shop. Along the way, he's met a few less than interested (at first) capital investors, mostly Trish and Lady. By the end of their respective games, Dante has convinced both not only to pony up some capital for the pizza shop, but to help out around the shop as well on occassion. Fast forward to DMc 4. During a pizza delivery run to some place called the Order of the Sword (Dante hated this place cuz he never got tips from these slackers), the guy who answered the door stiffed him his tip. In a fit of rage, Dante goes on the hunt and kills the dude. Nero, who happened to be waiting for his pizza, saw Dante kill the guy who answered the door was like "WTF! My f-ing pizza! Thinking that Dante was stiffing him his pizza that he ordered, Nero confronts Dante. (Thus the tutorial sequence of DMC 4). In the end, it turns out that Nero, in order to get his pizza had to try and figure out why the Order of Sword always stiffed him his tips. Or else no more pizza would be delivered to the Order of the Sword. In an effort to dig to the bottom of this mystery, Nero traverses the DMC 4 universe to discover some idiot Agnus was receiving misappropriated funding for the Order of the Sword, diverting food budget money to some clunky old experiment. Further delving into the origins of Agnus's clunky old experiment, Nero discovers that Sanctus, (the bum he never listened to in church cuz he was always chillin' to the tunes) was wanting to build a huge gundam for himself (Savior). To fund his project as well as Agnus's, Sanctus diverted funding away from essential spending, such as pizza delivery guy tips. In the end, outraged over the misappropriation of funds, Nero not only kills Sanctus for being dumb, but also destroys Sanctus's gundam. Having solved the pizza delivery tip problem, Dante agrees to resume deliveries to the Order of the Sword. He even asks Nero if he would like to have a job at the shop.

Which brings us to DMC 5 or the Reboot...

Where it all began. Well, kinda sorta. We're not like way back to Sparda days here, but Dante's early days as a teenager. Having grown up in a rough and tumble neighborhood, Dante was finally able to get a job at McDonald's. You know how much those jobs suck. Dante could only take so much of "Would you like Fries with that?" Not fully understanding why he had such anger issues. In a fit of rage, Dante went outside and threw the car ordering food at the drive thru straight across the state border. It was then that he discovered the powers of unchecked anger management. Of course throwing cars (let alone cars with people in them) Dante was fired from his job at McDonalds. So started Dante's and tumble life, establishing himself as the "one you don't wanna **** off unless you want your car thrown across the state border." Run ins with the law, and eventually the mental health department have yielded less than stellar results, the consequences of which we are still to see.

This is pure humor, so look at it at that if you may. If this isn't appropriate here, feel free to move where it is appropriate. :D

Top Bottom