• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 5 debunks he’s not Anthony

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Unless I’m wrong, can someone tell me why?
The episode itself was noncommittal to him being Tony. Even Dante says that he was a Tony but not the Tony Ernest was looking for. I guess they were going for Ernest's flaw being his obsession with finding Tony. Or they wanted to keep Dante's past a mystery and tease the fans.

There were two light novels that came out before DMC3. Capcom didn't know what to do with them so they flip flopped on if they are canon or not. Same as 2 on when it happened. I guess with DMC5, they finally made up their mind.

Last edited:

Lady95

The episode itself was noncommittal to him being Tony. Even Dante says that he was a Tony but not the Tony Ernest was looking for. I guess they were going for Ernest's flaw being his obsession with finding Tony. Or they wanted to keep Dante's past a mystery and tease the fans.

There were two light novels that came out before DMC3. Capcom didn't know what to do with them so they flip flopped on if they are canon or not. Same as 2 on when it happened. I guess with DMC5, they finally made up their mind.

I think the episode actually confirms that he is Tony, as there are various clues between the photo with a white haired, red-shirted kid and Dante knowing where his and Ernest precious treasure was buried. The preview of the episode also has Dante talking about how everyone has a past, but not everyone (him) had it pitch-perfect and saying that the extent you display in being able to confront and overcome it depends on how fruitful the time you've spent since then has been, and then makes a joke about how he should have nothing to worry about.
I think this is reflected in the episode, since he tries to avoid it at first, showing that he was never able to truly overcome it and make many progress in this sense and also, probably suspecting how the whole thing would end with Ernest hating him, but then reassigning himself to it since he knew he couldn't really walk out of that one.
I think it's also implied Sid brought Ernest specifically to Dante, to gain his attention and make him return to the town.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think the episode actually confirms that he is Tony, as there are various clues between the photo with a white haired, red-shirted kid and Dante knowing where his and Ernest precious treasure was buried. The preview of the episode also has Dante talking about how everyone has a past, but not everyone (him) had it pitch-perfect and saying that the extent you display in being able to confront and overcome it depends on how fruitful the time you've spent since then has been, and then makes a joke about how he should have nothing to worry about.
I think this is reflected in the episode, since he tries to avoid it at first, showing that he was never able to truly overcome it and make many progress in this sense and also, probably suspecting how the whole thing would end with Ernest hating him, but then reassigning himself to it since he knew he couldn't really walk out of that one.
I think it's also implied Sid brought Ernest specifically to Dante, to gain his attention and make him return to the town.
I'll take your word for it.

The anime wasn't fun to watch the first time and I'm uninterested in revisiting it.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Pretty much this. He couldn't be any more Tony if he came with a neon sign pointing to him saying so.

Or as the Abridged Version goes,

Dante: "I can't say I know you, but the name Tony Redgrave sounds distant yet familiar. I know it from somewhere."
Morrison: "MAYBE BECAUSE IT'S PRINTED ON YOUR GUNS, DIPSH#T."

Top Bottom