• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dial- A- Combo vs. Free- Form Combat

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I did find Sigma 2 exceedingly enjoyable, especially the finishers on wounded enemies. Mostly because by being "wounded" they were actually oftentimes more of a threat. That, and it was the game that had the scythe, and I love me some scythe action.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I did find Sigma 2 exceedingly enjoyable, especially the finishers on wounded enemies. Mostly because by being "wounded" they were actually oftentimes more of a threat. That, and it was the game that had the scythe, and I love me some scythe action.

They all have the scythe (well the original NG2 did & Razor's Edge).

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Man, i didn't know NG until some months ago, it was by far the best series i've found in this generation. I do sound like a Team Ninja/Tecmo cocksucker, but it's because this game is so cool to play even with a handful of flawed design choices and all. If this game could be polished to its maximum extent (which i highly doubt one day we'll see it, because of the pace of the industry) it would be for sure the most exciting single-player experience for me.

But well, i'm getting off-topic with this. Soon i'll get Razor's Edge to see what it's all about too.

Railazel

In some ways, shuriken cancelling allows the player to simulate a free-form combo system because of how much frame adv you'll have. But Team Ninja was sufficiently smart to put command moves instead of relying solely on combos to pull off specific moves

the combinations can extend to infinite if the devs are not lazy to make them with this system.

This actually brings me to a point that I wanted to make about the devs' part in these two systems. It basically comes down to how much effort is put into making the two systems as expressive as possible. Take for example, Onimusha 3 vs. DMC 3. Both are free- form yet Onimusha 3 is highly strict in combat with very little combos and cancelling methods as opposed to the plethora of cancelling methods and combos in DMC 3. Bayonetta vs. Alter Echo, for dial- a- combo, shows the same thing.

However, how these two systems become more expressive tend to have the line in between them blur. On d-a-c (I'm sick of writing out the whole thing), it takes up dedicated buttons and timed combos from free- form while free- form tends to add combos and branching combos onto its list.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020

I love ng2 on xbox360 the true dragon gleam is easily one of the coolest moves I've ever seen then use the vigorian flails with shuriken canceling and you can have serious fun

Top Bottom