• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil's Tears

Edge

Carver of Demons
((This fic will take place exactly one year before DMC3. You will note in the game that Dante said it had been a year since he'd seen Vergil..well, here you go. Enjoy.))

CHAPTER 1​

Throughout the city streets, there was calm. One could note the small lengths of silence, broken only slightly by the distant sound of a vehicle horn, or the barking of a dog. After awhile, as the midnight hour drew nearer, even those sounds ended, and the night time world was bathed in silence.

That night, there was only one man who would bare witness to that silence, striding through the lamp-lit streets. His size was difficult to tell, as he was garbed in a blue long coat, underneath which was a black leather vest and long black pants: his clothing hid nearly all detail of his musculature, hiding any trace of his hidden strengths. His hair long, although thrown backward and spiked high above his head. Piercing blue eyes scanned the dark streets.

At his side was a katana, long straps meant to tie the formiddable blade to ones belt flapping in a brief breeze. He held this katana tightly in his left hand by the sheath, looking as if he were ready to unsheathe this blade at any moment.

The only sounds in the night were those of his footsteps as his booted feet clacked off of the asphalt, as well as the sound of very slow, calm breathing as he moved effortlessly through the lamp-lit, silent city.

~~~~

Elsewhere, there was another man. Inside the Bull's Eye tavern (I believe that is what the sign says over the bar in mission 3 of DMC 3, but I may be wrong), Dante stood in front of the jukebox, garbed in his long red trenchcoat. Due the law that was, unfortunately, in place, he did not carry his sword, although he had Ebony and Ivory, his handguns, strapped to his body underneath his coat. Today he had chosen to wear a black, short-sleeved t-shirt and blue-jeans - he was dressed casually, not expecting anything. The city had been quiet lately.

He pushed the scan button on the jukebox over and over again, his face screwed up in frustration as the album pictures wouldn't flip. "Damn jukebox..." he muttered to himself. Lightly, he kicked the bottom of the jukebox, and stepped away. "Stupid thing. Ate my quarter and won't even play a damn song!" He shook his head and wandered over to the bar. There was only one other person in the bar other than himself, and that was, of course, the barkeeper. The time was currently 11:57, as told by the cheesiest clock that Dante had ever seen, hanging over the door.

"Yo. Charlie. Get me a triple martini. Put it on my tab."

The barkeep, now tagged as Charlie, raised an eyebrow. "You've been promising to pay that tab for three weeks. You owe me over three-hundred bucks. You're sure you want me to put it on your tab?"

"Just do it. I'm lookin' to open my shop here, soon. Talked to a contractor the other day, and I'm gonna start rent soon. As soon as my business starts, you'll have your tab paid, and we won't have to have these talks anymore."

Charlie shook his head. "Exactly what is your business, Dante?"

"My business...is my business. Don't worry about it. Just gimme my drink." Dante took a seat on one of the bar stools, laying his arms on the bar in front of him and leaning on his elbows as Charlie mixed his drink.

When the drink arrived, he drunk most of it in a huge gulp.

((More to come.))

hamshanks

Apprentice of Doom
dante doesnt seem like the type of guy that would get a tripple martini, he seems more like a beer or whiskey man.

also, dante was only 18 at this time, unless he lives in quebec or a european country, he can't drink

Edge

Carver of Demons
Does it ever really say how old Dante is? Ever?

Besides. I know that it never defines where any of the story takes place.

Lastly, I'd rather you had fun reading it than pointing out my mistakes. >_> Deconstructive criticism doesn't help the story much. I like criticism, yes, but only that which can help the story flow along.

I'm done ranting. >_>

Now, then, for the second part of the first chapter...I'm just writing whatever comes to mind, so, meh. Bare with me. >_>

The silent wanderer found himself outside of a ramshackle tavern, a cold smile breaking the expressionless expanse of his face. Looking up at the sign, he read it, it's neon glow reflecting off of his ice-blue eyes. 'Bull's Eye Tavern.'

He took a step forward, toward the door, extending his right hand toward the door knob while the thumb on his left hand prepared to nudge the katana free from his sheathe, quickening his first draw of the fight that was sure to come.

~~~

Dante finished his drink, relishing the warm feeling that gushed down into his belly. He smiled to himself. "Well, I guess I'll let ya close, now, Charlie. I'm goin' home. Catcha later." Letting go a quick grin, he stood from the barstool, and turned around. Not even looking toward the window, where he may be able to catch a glimpse of a blue longcoat, Dante strode toward the door, one hand reaching out toward the doorknob.

Suddenly, as his fingers grasped the knob, the door was shoved inward with a force that, as it struck Dante full in the face and chest, knocked him flying backward. He shifted his weight, leaning backwards into a backflip. Upon landing, he had already drawn Ebony and Ivory from their holster, and both pistols were pointed toward the opening in the door. Dante's eyes were narrowed.

"Vergil..."

hamshanks

Apprentice of Doom
i wasnt trying to criticize, i just voiced my opinion about what i thought dante would drink. and in DMC1 dante was 29 years old, DMC3 took place 10 years before DMC1, and your story takes place 1 year before DMC3, therefore, dante is 18

xxspider-chickx

Hush--Opiate
Nice story! It's a great idea, the only flaw I found was the repetition of words (... toward the door, extending his right hand toward the door knob... )but that's all. I have to watch for that in my stories too, that's probably why it caught my eye.

As for the whole 'drinking age' debate, I don't think it really matters, if Danté (yes, that's how I write it) is half-demon, he could, in theory be like Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII, physically one age, but actually another. (If that makes any sense)

(Vincent is physically 27 but acutally around 60 at the time Dirge of Cereberus takes place)

But anyway, cool story and keep writing!

Top Bottom