• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Veterans

I have been playing Devil May cry since the first one came out and is still the best one in my opinion. What changes need to be made so that the first DMC is no longer my favorite?

Crimson Devil

Swordsmaster
If u loved DMC for the same reason that me, i think I can tell you.
Devil May Cry was very dark styled. The way that mysterious, cool looking demon hunter with that big sword and two big guns entered that castle filled with secrets and enemies made me LOVE it.

Devil May Cry 4 is way less dark than the first one. Even with the new character, it didnt make me feel the same way. But its not just Nero, Dante was also too funny and c*cky. Its not that he needs to be always serious, its just he was always too joker...

Well, at least thats what I think...

Meg

Crimson Devil;184889 said:
If u loved DMC for the same reason that me, i think I can tell you.
Devil May Cry was very dark styled. The way that mysterious, cool looking demon hunter with that big sword and two big guns entered that castle filled with secrets and enemies made me LOVE it.

Devil May Cry 4 is way less dark than the first one. Even with the new character, it didnt make me feel the same way. But its not just Nero, Dante was also too funny and c*cky. Its not that he needs to be always serious, its just he was always too joker...

Well, at least thats what I think...

i agree with you. while my favorite game in the series in DMC3 i liked the presentation of the first game the best.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
StylishDante;184147 said:
I have been playing Devil May cry since the first one came out and is still the best one in my opinion. What changes need to be made so that the first DMC is no longer my favorite?

Well you are definetely not on your own there. DMC4 I felt was very similar to one in 2 ways.

The enviroment - The enviroment reminded me a lot of DMC1 which I loved but I guess that was obvious as DMC1 was mostly set in a castle and DMC4 is set in a castle town I guess thats what they were going for.

Nero - Ironicly enough although he was not Dante he actually reminded me more of Dante in DMC1 back when I actually liked him. He had a more vulnerable personality, he was kind of like an extreme version of DMC1 Dante whereas the first Dante would get angry and sad now and again. Playing as Nero was just like one big ride of him being driven by his fury and desperation to get Kyrie back, I loved it. To me thats way more entertaining than seeing the protagonist being a smart-ass to everyone he comes across. I felt like punching Dante through the screen in DMC4.

4 didn't beat 1 but it came damn close and I think it is the closest the series will ever come to being as good as DMC1. If they make a finale where Dante fights Mundus again and they bring back Dante's DMC1/2 personality then who knows it might just nick it.

Sparda™

I can surely type chapters about Devil May Cry 3 and its Special Edition, telling its superiority above every other sequel so far in the series.

Seriously though, It would be a waste, as the game speaks for itself. DMC3 is way more dark and gothic than DMC1, far more intriguing and fascinating. Has a great plot and has one of the best cliffhanger endings I've ever seen in a game - others being the Half-Life series and the Metal Gear Solid ones.

Crimson Devil

Swordsmaster
Devil May Cry 3 was awesome for the same reason that DMC1, the dark/gothic style.
DMC4 tried to copy their style as u can see in some stages, but IMO it didnt work out, mainly because the main story didnt make me wondering "whats next"
just like it did in DMCs 1 and 3.

Darth Angelo

Sparda™;185125 said:
I can surely type chapters about Devil May Cry 3 and its Special Edition, telling its superiority above every other sequel so far in the series.

Seriously though, It would be a waste, as the game speaks for itself. DMC3 is way more dark and gothic than DMC1, far more intriguing and fascinating. Has a great plot and has one of the best cliffhanger endings I've ever seen in a game - others being the Half-Life series and the Metal Gear Solid ones.

I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger as we already know what happens.

The only reason I didn't feel the same way is that I felt like I didn't know Dante anymore, he became a completely different person in 3. And as for gothic, Dante was anything but gothic. It felt like he belonged in a game more like mary kate and ashley sweet 16 :lol:

Sparda™

darth_angelo45;185174 said:
I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger as we already know what happens.

And as for gothic, Dante was anything but gothic. It felt like he belonged in a game more like mary kate and ashley sweet 16 :lol:

We all know DMC1 contradicts DMC3, so It is a cliffhanger by all means.

I wasn't referring to any character in particular in my previous post but to the atmosphere and environment - far more gothic than 1 - and more close-quartered.

darth_angelo45;185174 said:
The only reason I didn't feel the same way is that I felt like I didn't know Dante anymore, he became a completely different person in 3.

Because DMC3 shows a rebellious Dante, while DMC1 a more mature one - which corresponds to the chronological order of the series - 3/1/4/2.

Darth Angelo

Sparda™;185189 said:
We all know DMC1 contradicts DMC3, so It is a cliffhanger by all means.

How? the only contradiction I saw was that in DMC3 they changed the colour of Vergil's amulet. Everything seemed to fall into place.

Sparda™;185189 said:
Because DMC3 shows a rebellious Dante, while DMC1 a more mature one - which corresponds to the chronological order of the series - 3/1/4/2.

And that is all well and good, in DMC3 Dante was a superhuman teenager, why wouldn't he act like it? but what I don't like is the fact that in DMC4 which is supposed to be set after DMC1 we are given teenage smart ass Dante again. Just because everybody went mad over DMC3 so why would they want to shoot themselves in the foot and give us the Dante that he should have been at that point in his life. They haven't really done themselves any favors, now the gap that they need to bridge between his 3 and 2 personality is even bigger.

Thats if they even care anymore, which im sure they do as they seemed to base 4 heavily on 1 with the castles and the Frosts and whatnot.

Sparda™

darth_angelo45;185191 said:
How? the only contradiction I saw was that in DMC3 they changed the colour of Vergil's amulet. Everything seemed to fall into place.

The time gap between the games is shorter between DMC3 and DMC1 - shown from the extra ending of 3 - while the DMC1 dialogues prompts the death of his 'mother and brother 20 years ago' - making Dante look 39 in DMC1, while DMC4 is confirmed to be 10 years after DMC3.

Capcom is known to wreck its storylines anyway.

Zato-OW

King
No it was making Dante look 28 in DMC1. The novels that came along with it said he was about 8 when he lost his mother. This is why people say he is 28 in DMC1.

Darth Angelo

Sparda™;185197 said:
The time gap between the games is shorter between DMC3 and DMC1 - shown from the extra ending of 3 - while the DMC1 dialogues prompts the death of his 'mother and brother 20 years ago' - making Dante look 39 in DMC1, while DMC4 is confirmed to be 10 years after DMC3.

Capcom is known to wreck its storylines anyway.

Oh THAT, true but I thought like Zato said there is some kind of source that says that Dante lost his mother a lot earlier and most likley thats when Vergil started getting a bit..evil genious.

But realisticly Hideaki Itsuno should have taken the 20 years thing into consideration a bit more before he started screwing with the timeline. At least make Dante think that Vergil had been dead for 10 years or something but having Dante say
"it's been a whole year since we last met" kind of puts out that one.

Anything that it put right by a Japanese Manga doesn't really get the job done as a lot of people who casually play these games arent going to bother hunting them down.

Sparda™

Zato-OW;185206 said:
No it was making Dante look 28 in DMC1. The novels that came along with it said he was about 8 when he lost his mother. This is why people say he is 28 in DMC1.

Novels are not considered canon material, because of this contradiction.

Darth Angelo

I think they should do what they did with Tomb Raider, bring back the original creator and have him start again and tell it as it was supposed to be :p

(something tells me that wouldn't be a very popular dicision)

Sparda™

darth_angelo45;185247 said:
I think they should do what they did with Tomb Raider, bring back the original creator and have him start again and tell it as it was supposed to be :p

(something tells me that wouldn't be a very popular dicision)

That would suck for the series. They're already established and with errors or not, they cannot change right now just like that.

Tramendium

Not to mention that original creator is working on...other game some of you might know what i am talking about.

Sparda™

Tramendium;185256 said:
Not to mention that original creator is working on...other game some of you might know what i am talking about.

My above post was ironic as we all know Mikami wouldn't be rehired by Capcom, and we all know he's doing Bayonetta.

Tramendium

Sparda™;185257 said:
My above post was ironic as we all know Mikami wouldn't be rehired by Capcom, and we all know he's doing Bayonetta.

Well then some of you know that this ain't gonna be back like it was before.

Top Bottom