• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry/DmC game idea thread

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Just what the title says this is a thread to post ideas for games in the Devil May Cry franchise. There are only two rules.
1. The game idea must be related to Devil May Cry or DmC: Devil May Cry. Crossovers are allowed both between the two universes and between one or both universes and one or more unrelated franchises.
2. Ask for permission before using someone else's idea. Receiving permission is also required (I know that is obvious I am just making sure to close any loopholes.) Giving other users permission to use your ideas posted here is encouraged but not required.

The ideas can be full game ideas or just single concepts (missions, charicters, weapons, storylines etc.) and can be any length from a single sentence fragment to hundreds of detailed posts. Any idea no matter how small or large is welcome here, you can develop ideas here or work on them somewhere else and just post them here. Discussing ideas posted here is also considered to be on topic even if you cannot think of an idea to post. Criticism of ideas is to be given politely and polite criticism is to be accepted, refused or ignored with equal politeness . Impolite criticism is to be reported without comment.

I am currently working with the user currently named Darigion to develop ideas that will be posted in this thread in multiple parts.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
An idea for DmC (but I don't know if it could be included on the main game... maybe just a spinoff).

I'd like to see Vergil go searching for Sparda, in a quest to free him from the demons, in an attempt to demonstrate his power.
Or maybe it could be Dante and Vergil forced to cooperate again to free Sparda, because they both need his guidance in fighting a much more powerful common enemy: the angels.
Either way, to reach Sparda, the player would have to climb a rebooted Temen.ni-Gru, with levels inspired by the infernal circles of Dante Alighieri's Inferno. The sins punished here would be "revisited" in a modern key, with references to modern and contemporary well-known people (or, well, references to them, like Bob Barbas). The many sinners could be the ordes of lessere enemies, while the famous people would be the bosses.
I still have no idea who to put in there, though, so if anyone has ideas, they are welcome!

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
An idea for DmC (but I don't know if it could be included on the main game... maybe just a spinoff).

I'd like to see Vergil go searching for Sparda, in a quest to free him from the demons, in an attempt to demonstrate his power.
Or maybe it could be Dante and Vergil forced to cooperate again to free Sparda, because they both need his guidance in fighting a much more powerful common enemy: the angels.
Either way, to reach Sparda, the player would have to climb a rebooted Temen.ni-Gru, with levels inspired by the infernal circles of Dante Alighieri's Inferno. The sins punished here would be "revisited" in a modern key, with references to modern and contemporary well-known people (or, well, references to them, like Bob Barbas). The many sinners could be the ordes of lessere enemies, while the famous people would be the bosses.
I still have no idea who to put in there, though, so if anyone has ideas, they are welcome!
Interesting but I'm not sure how much DmC Sparda could help with anything like that (he doesn't seem to be as capable as the original) but I don't think the twins would need a reason like that to save their father, they would just need to know where he is.

LysseC

Interesting but I'm not sure how much DmC Sparda could help with anything like that (he doesn't seem to be as capable as the original) but I don't think the twins would need a reason like that to save their father, they would just need to know where he is.
Since it was said that Sparda was "Mundus' most trusted lieutenant", I imagine him being a powerful demon, a commander of some sorts: that's why I think he could be of some help.
As for the twins' reasons to cooperate, I thought about that because, since their "little" disagreement at the end of DmC, I think that they would not simply go back to cooperate without a pressing problem at hand.
But, as always, these are my personal impressions, so I might be wrong.:)

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Well I suppose he might be able to help a little but I still think love for their father would be enough to inspire a reluctant truce if they had the opportunity to rescue him. If you really think about it fighting angels would probably also be enough by it's self. Combining both is a bit redundant and using both opportunities separately seems better. Hey, I had an idea, Dante and Vergil could find out about Sparda's location while reluctantly working together against the angels and then go rescue him after the situation that got them to work together is resolved.(that way there would be two games worth of reluctant teamwork)

LysseC

Well I suppose he might be able to help a little but I still think love for their father would be enough to inspire a reluctant truce if they had the opportunity to rescue him. If you really think about it fighting angels would probably also be enough by it's self. Combining both is a bit redundant and using both opportunities separately seems better. Hey, I had an idea, Dante and Vergil could find out about Sparda's location while reluctantly working together against the angels and then go rescue him after the situation that got them to work together is resolved.(that way there would be two games worth of reluctant teamwork)
This seems really a good idea, thanks for suggesting me! ^_^

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the idea's i am working on with Darigion will be gradually posted in this thread as the concepts are developed. first the controls but there are a few details that need to be explained first:
1. since there are characters that don't use guns (eg. Vergil) and some characters that only use guns (eg. Lady) some characters will have extra styles instead.
2. accessories have been added with the same basic concept as Bayonetta ( except i plan on there being 4 slots instead of 2)
3. the concepts of Angel weapons in Bayonetta has been expanded into Enemy weapons ( dropped by enemies) and Environmental weapons ( various objects in the environment such as the various weapons in the background in DMC1) these weapons will expand the moveset instead of replacing it like Angel weapons (eg. if a sword is taken from an enemy and the character has a sword equipped the character will dual wield them until the enemy weapon breaks)
4. the characters will posses various special abilities, some will be alternate forms or other continuous effects (eg. Devil Trigger, Quicksilver) and others will be ways of expanding the moveset ( eg. Exceed )

now that those details have been explained here are the controls:

Basic controls (xbox)
A: jump/evade
B: style 1/style 2/
Y: melee attack/style 5/6
X: gun attack/style 5/6/interact with doors,switches and key items
RB: toggle hard/soft lock-on
RB (hold): alters the attacks performed.
RT: style 2/toggle style 1/2
Right analog stick/RS: style 3
LB: DT/ability 1
LB (hold): ability 2
RB+LB: ability 3
RB (hold)>LB: ability 4
RB (hold)>LB (hold): ability 5
LT: Style4/ ability 6
Left analog stick: movement
LS: pick up environmental/enemy weapons/ interact with other objects in the environment
RB+Left analog stick: change hard lock-on target
RB+LS: use accessory

(note: anyone who wants to borrow this set up is free to do so and i would really like to see what people come up with to use it.)

Sunaka Marién

^ ^ While I really like the idea in theory, looking at the controls I believe that this might simply be too much. I actually took a controler and tryed out the controls and it really felt a little overcrowded. It's just a bit too much to remember and would probably take to long to get used to; sure, if you invest a lot of time into learning the contorls, it would porbably work, but the problem is that most people wouldn't even be willing to take that time. And I've already heard some reviewers of DmC complain about the controls being overcrowded, which are pretty simple in comparison.
Maybe it would be better to not have everything accessable on the fly at all times, but to let's say have only two styles accessable at all times that, as you described, can be toggled with RT and used with B.
And I believe you haven't used the D-Pad for anything yet? Maybe use that to change hard lock-on targets, since it could be a little problematic to use RB + Left analog stick while holding RB and just pushing RB once already do something.
Using an accessory could also be mapped to the D-pad, to the up and down buttons, that way RB wouldn't be used for so many different things :3

Interesting but I'm not sure how much DmC Sparda could help with anything like that (he doesn't seem to be as capable as the original)
Ah, and this just in: I've heard that it was stated in the comics that Sparda was one of the demon kings, so I'd assume that his power level should be about the same as Mundus's.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Lady being introduced (make her slightly more arrogant than original Lady, but mellows out quicker)

Nero given a proper explanation

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
^ ^ While I really like the idea in theory, looking at the controls I believe that this might simply be too much. I actually took a controler and tryed out the controls and it really felt a little overcrowded. It's just a bit too much to remember and would probably take to long to get used to; sure, if you invest a lot of time into learning the contorls, it would porbably work, but the problem is that most people wouldn't even be willing to take that time. And I've already heard some reviewers of DmC complain about the controls being overcrowded, which are pretty simple in comparison.
Maybe it would be better to not have everything accessable on the fly at all times, but to let's say have only two styles accessable at all times that, as you described, can be toggled with RT and used with B.
And I believe you haven't used the D-Pad for anything yet? Maybe use that to change hard lock-on targets, since it could be a little problematic to use RB + Left analog stick while holding RB and just pushing RB once already do something.
Using an accessory could also be mapped to the D-pad, to the up and down buttons, that way RB wouldn't be used for so many different things :3

Ah, and this just in: I've heard that it was stated in the comics that Sparda was one of the demon kings, so I'd assume that his power level should be about the same as Mundus's.
did i forget to put something there? my plan was to have switching weapons be on the D-Pad.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
next part of the idea:
i had the thought that optional Co-Op would be a good addition. it would be limited to two people. the number of lesser demons would be doubled during Co-Op and bosses would become stronger.
Mission settings ( various things chosen before starting a mission)
Difficulty
Human: unlocked at the start of the game
Devil Hunter: unlocked at the start of the game
Son of Sparda: unlock by beating Devil Hunter
Legendary Dark Knight: unlock by beating Son of Sparda
______ Must Die: unlock by beating Legendary Dark Knight (the ______ would be filled by the name of the main character of the current story, which in most cases would be Dante)
(HoH and related modes will be made into a separate setting)

Story/Free play:
Story Mode: for most missions character select would be unavailable and there would be no Co-Op, in some missions two different playable characters will be involved in the same story and the player will be able to choose between the two and Co-Op will be available limited to those two characters. if a mission with two characters is played with only one player the other character will not be present in gameplay.
Free Play: Cutscenes disabled, the player will be able to choose between any unlocked characters and Co-Op will be available for all missions (unlocked for each mission and difficulty by beating that mission on that difficulty in Story Mode.)
Character select: characters and unlock conditions vary depending on the game
Costume select: costumes and unlock conditions vary depending on the character

Infinite DT:
Off (Regeneration Enabled): default setting
On (Regeneration Disabled): unlock by beating the mission on the current difficulty
Off (Regeneration Disabled): unlock by beating the mission on the current difficulty
On (Regeneration Enabled): unlock by beating the mission on the current difficulty with infinite DT set to Off (Regeneration Disabled)
Heaven or Hell:
Off: Default setting
Heaven and Hell: unlock by beating the mission on the current difficultly
Pure Hell: unlock by beating the mission with Heaven and Hell on the current difficulty
Pure Heaven: unlock by beating the mission with Heaven and Hell on the current difficulty.

REAPER 3142

Revenge Solves Everything..............
I had 2 myself.

1. Vergil discovers the existence of a tomb with the body, powers, weapons, and memories of the very first Nephilim. He embarks on a quest to open it and use its power to rule over the world and all its beings. The Angels hear this and set out to eliminate the remaining Nephilim. Vergil comes into contact with a man that uses dark magic and says he can help him open the tomb (Arkham.).
Phineas tells Dante that he has seen a vision of what will happen if Vergil succeeds in opening the tomb. He says that Heaven and Hell have an all out war, But with Vergil in possession of the Nephilim powers in the tomb, Heaven falls to him and is engulfed in Hellfire.

2. Nelo Angelo introduced to DmC.
Towards the end of the game Dante and Vergil have one last battle. They continue to fight eachother for some time, but Arkham interrupts the fight by casting a powerful spell that binds Dante in chains. He yells at Vergil to hurry up and finish him while he is unarmed. Vergil grabs Rebellion and goes to finish Dante but hesitates and drops the sword. He says that he cant do it and refuses to even try under such cruel and cowardly circumstances. This shows that Vergil isn't competely corrupted and still has some love for his brother. Soon after he teleports away, and Arkham follows.
Back at Vergil's castle he lays Yamato on his desk. Arkham appears,asking what had happened. Why Vergil didn't kill Dante. They argue for some time, but Arkham grabs yamato and stabs Vergil. In his weakend state after the intense battle with Dante, Vergil is low on energy and is overcome by Arkham's magic. He casts a spell on Vergil,taking complete control over his body like a puppet.
Arkham says that they are now going to finish off Dante together, but that Vergil is in need of better equipment. he has lesser demons outfit Vergil in Sparda's original battle Armor and gives him a new blade (Dark Slayer.). He tosses Yamato out of the window, later to be found by Dante.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
a few basic gameplay concepts to get out of the way before discussing specific characters
Weapon select: the character can equip three of each type (Devil Arm or Gun) of weapon at a time you can choose which weapons are equipped in the pause menu. you can choose from all the weapons you have found for that character. one of the weapons for each type is the active weapon and will be the weapon you use. you can change the active weapon at any time during gameplay with the D-pad.
Devil Arm 1: the characters Signature melee weapon; cannot be changed
Devil Arm 2: set in the pause menu
Devil arm 3: set in the pause menu
Gun 1: the characters Signature weapon; cannot be changed
Gun 2:set in the pause menu
Gun 3 set in the pause menu

left: switch to Devil Arm 2( if Devil Arm 2 is the active weapon switch to Devil Arm1)
right:switch to Devil Arm 3( if Devil Arm 3 is the active weapon switch to Devil Arm1)
up: switch to Gun 2 ( if Gun 2 is the active weapon switch to Gun1)
down:switch to Gun 3( if Gun 3 is the active weapon switch to Gun1

some characters only have one type of weapon (eg. Vergil only uses Devil Arms, Lady only uses Guns.) characters with only one type of weapon will be able to equip 5 weapons at a time and will have only one Signature weapon.

left: switch to Weapon 2( if Weapon 2 is the active weapon switch to Weapon 1)
right:switch to Weapon 3( Weapon 3 is the active weapon switch to Weapon 1)
up: switch to Weapon 4( if Weapon 4 is the active weapon switch to Weapon 1)
down:switch to Weapon 5( if Weapon 5 is the active weapon switch to Weapon 1)

Signature weapon: the primary weapons of the character. the character will have a signature weapon for each type of weapon available to them. the signature weapon will always be equipped and will be the characters default active weapon. Signature weapons will be present in the movesets of the character's other weapons as well as it's own moveset. ( in cases where the characters primary weapon changes in story it will be possible to change between the different signature weapons for that character. alternate signature weapons can only be equipped in the slot reserved for signature weapons)

Secondary weapon: weapons available to some characters that are present in movesets for other weapons but do not have their own moveset. if a character has a secondary weapon it will always be equipped ( in cases where the character acquires a secondary weapon during the story it will be possible to unequip the weapon and if the character's secondary weapon is replaced during the story it will be possible to change between the two.) some characters may not have secondary weapons and some may have multiple.

Styles: characters will have 3-5 styles depending on what weapons and abilities the character has available. some styles will be exclusive to one character others will be available to multiple characters. the ones that are available to multiple characters are:
Swordmaster: close range melee weapon style
Demon Blade: long range melee weapon style
Gunslinger: long range gun style
Darkgunner: demonic gun style
Brawler: close range gun style
Trickster: movement focused style
Defender: defense/movement style
Darkslayer: offense/movement style
Royal Guard: offense/defense style
Chaos: magical offense style.

Abilities: like styles some abilities will be unique and others will be available to multiple characters the ones that are available to multiple characters are:
Devil Trigger: increased stats + regeneration
Angel Trigger: similar to Devil Trigger but with a reduced attack and defense increase and higher speed and regeneration.
Awakening: draws out the full power of demons and angels the effect is different depending on the type:
  • demon version: higher stat increase than DT, no regeneration
  • angel version: lower stat increase than AT higher regeneration
Resonance: a form that varies depending on the weapon.
Quicksilver: Slows down time
After Image: creates a copy of the user that performs the same attacks.
weapon specific ability: general term for abilities other than Resonance that change depending on the weapon
DT Flux: charges up energy and damages enemies in all directions ( AT and Awakening variants are also possible)
DT Shell: creates a sphere of energy that prevents enemies from approaching or attacking the user then activates DT maintained until the button is released or the Devil Gauge is empty, while the ability is active the user is unable to move or attack and the gauge drains faster, ( AT and Awakening variants are also possible)
Adrenaline: human ability, provides a small stat increase and slightly slows perception of time.

oh and there is one more idea i had that might take a bit to get used to but it would expand the available moveset a lot:
input types: basically a way to accomplish the same idea as Light/Heavy attack buttons ( a very common concept in action games) with one button:
Light: tap the button once
Heavy: hold the button for 1/2 to 1 second
Charge: hold the button for over 1 second

as always anyone who wants to use any of these ideas is free to do so.

DemonSlayer6

that zzzombiekid
Lady being introduced (make her slightly more arrogant than original Lady, but mellows out quicker)

Nero given a proper explanation

This point about Nero is a brilliant request. I agree. I would also love to be given a proper explanation behind Nero and his entire back-story, as there was not much presented to us in DMC 4. He was an interesting character that grew on me like fungus and I would absolutely love to dig up more about him, in perhaps the next Devil May Cry installment.

Speaking of ideas however - extending from TerrorA's quote - I strongly feel that if the protagonist must be decided for a new DMC, I would relate as much to Nero as possible to refrain players from ever wondering why he was even introduced into the franchise in the first place.

I had 2 myself.

1. Vergil discovers the existence of a tomb with the body, powers, weapons, and memories of the very first Nephilim. He embarks on a quest to open it and use its power to rule over the world and all its beings. The Angels hear this and set out to eliminate the remaining Nephilim. Vergil comes into contact with a man that uses dark magic and says he can help him open the tomb (Arkham.).
Phineas tells Dante that he has seen a vision of what will happen if Vergil succeeds in opening the tomb. He says that Heaven and Hell have an all out war, But with Vergil in possession of the Nephilim powers in the tomb, Heaven falls to him and is engulfed in Hellfire.

2. Nelo Angelo introduced to DmC.
Towards the end of the game Dante and Vergil have one last battle. They continue to fight eachother for some time, but Arkham interrupts the fight by casting a powerful spell that binds Dante in chains. He yells at Vergil to hurry up and finish him while he is unarmed. Vergil grabs Rebellion and goes to finish Dante but hesitates and drops the sword. He says that he cant do it and refuses to even try under such cruel and cowardly circumstances. This shows that Vergil isn't competely corrupted and still has some love for his brother. Soon after he teleports away, and Arkham follows.
Back at Vergil's castle he lays Yamato on his desk. Arkham appears,asking what had happened. Why Vergil didn't kill Dante. They argue for some time, but Arkham grabs yamato and stabs Vergil. In his weakend state after the intense battle with Dante, Vergil is low on energy and is overcome by Arkham's magic. He casts a spell on Vergil,taking complete control over his body like a puppet.
Arkham says that they are now going to finish off Dante together, but that Vergil is in need of better equipment. he has lesser demons outfit Vergil in Sparda's original battle Armor and gives him a new blade (Dark Slayer.). He tosses Yamato out of the window, later to be found by Dante.

I would also like to say that these 2 ideas are good continuation possibilities to Vergil's leaving at the end of DmC. It's also a nice development of his character, it's as if DmC Vergil (who was quite tolerant of his brother and showed affection towards him) slowly morphs into DMC 3 Vergil (who couldn't give a damn about Dante, and rarely ever showed warmth towards his brother... or if he did, it was in very rare circumstances, and in such a way where it's not easily recognizable).

The second idea about introducing Nelo Angelo into DmC is also something I find most intriguing. It brings together a few loose ends, and adds a nice sense of transition into DMC 1. (Not to mention Arkham's introductory in here is also a nice touch) So well done. ^^

REAPER 3142

Revenge Solves Everything..............
This point about Nero is a brilliant request. I agree. I would also love to be given a proper explanation behind Nero and his entire back-story, as there was not much presented to us in DMC 4. He was an interesting character that grew on me like fungus and I would absolutely love to dig up more about him, in perhaps the next Devil May Cry installment.

Speaking of ideas however - extending from TerrorA's quote - I strongly feel that if the protagonist must be decided for a new DMC, I would relate as much to Nero as possible to refrain players from ever wondering why he was even introduced into the franchise in the first place.

I would also like to say that these 2 ideas are good continuation possibilities to Vergil's leaving at the end of DmC. It's also a nice development of his character, it's as if DmC Vergil (who was quite tolerant of his brother and showed affection towards him) slowly morphs into DMC 3 Vergil (who couldn't give a damn about Dante, and rarely ever showed warmth towards his brother... or if he did, it was in very rare circumstances, and in such a way where it's not easily recognizable).

The second idea about introducing Nelo Angelo into DmC is also something I find most intriguing. It brings together a few loose ends, and adds a nice sense of transition into DMC 1. (Not to mention Arkham's introductory in here is also a nice touch) So well done. ^^

Thank you.......my favorite boss battles were playing against Nelo Angelo. Fighting a ton of enemies at once feels really fun and powerful, but fighting a single foe that is on your skill level is really fun. I think that Nelo has been out of the spotlight for far too long.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
okay I've explained enough of the basics to start explaining things about the characters i am not going to go into a lot of detail at this point, for now i will just post the basics about the canon characters. of course Dante is first:
Dante's Styles
1. Swordmaster
2. Gunslinger
3. Trickster
4. Royal Guard

Dante's signature weapons.
1. Rebellion
2. Ebony & Ivory

Dante's controls (xbox)
A: jump/evade
B: 1: Swordmaster 2: Gunslinger
Y: melee attack
X: gun attack/interact with doors,switches and key items
RB: toggle hard/soft lock-on
RB (hold): alters the attacks performed.
RT: toggle style 1/2
Right analog stick/RS: Trickster
LB: Devil Trigger
LB (hold): DT flux
RB+LB: After Image
RB (hold)>LB: Quicksilver
RB (hold)>LB (hold): Majin Form ( activated by a gauge separate from the normal Devil Gauge that is increased only by dealing damage and at half the rate that damage increases the Devil Gauge)
LT: Royal Guard
Left analog stick: movement
LS: pick up environmental/enemy weapons/ interact with other objects in the environment
RB+Left analog stick: change hard lock-on target
RB+LS: use accessory
D-Pad Up/Down: switch guns
D-Pad Left/ Right: switch Devil Arms.

passive ability: when Dante's health is low his normal Devil Trigger in replaced by the Majin form without affecting the Majin Form gauge.

anyone who wants to borrow any aspect of this is free to do so.

Top Bottom