• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Demonic Possession

TonyRedgraveDMC

From what I can recall, the animé touched on the idea a little bit but more often than not it was just a demon pretending to be a human on its own power (I don't recall any time Dante concerned himself with the possibility of the human disguises formerly belonging to real humans) and in Devil May Cry 3 Arkham convinced Lady (for a short time) that Vergil (who Lady must have been under the impression was 100% demon) had 'possessed' him and made him do what he did.

Were there any other instances of the topic of possession throughout the series? If so, please remind me. If not, please share your opinions of how you believe it would be handled if DMC demons could possess humans.

Viper

Premium
There was that singer that got herself possessed in anime, the demon conquered her will cause she put herself under pressure to become famous, but it wasn't going as fast as she wanted.
Dante lured the demon out, to show herself independently of the woman and shot it, thus the lady went back to normal.

The possession thing would be a bit awkward for a game like DMC, since it's more about pure battle than doing exorcism or anything. I guess they could design a weapon that does the trick, infuses people with holy water or some other suitable substance to force the demon out to be defeated. And if you shot the possessed people with a regular weapon or sliced them with the sword, it would drag your score down.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
If I remember well, in DMC cd drama ( which was never localized or translated), Lady was possessed by a demon.Why that happened is unknown to me, since I never saw a translation per se.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Yeah, that's true, that's the only time I can think of now too. I really want to play with the concept (most likely fanfiction) because it is a very familiar power of demons and didn't really get touched upon. Even if "it's a game" was an excuse, if DMC wrote its supporting cast better, that sort of thing could happen to other ally or neutral characters from time to time and you fight them possessed or as demonic mockeries of themselves. Wasn't one of Arius' forms "Possessed-Arius"? I might be mistaken, but that sounds right.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
There's also the episode in the anime where Dante used himself as bait to become possessed during the poker game. Everything demonic is fair game in DMC, so possession definitely counts.

Top Bottom