• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's mood change.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dear forums pals why do you think Dante's attitude changed from a wise cracking Devil Hunter to a quiet one line Devil Hunter? Also why do you think Dante adopted The Joker's coin flip?

Did Dante became depressed?
Did Dante just grow up?
Or was it just the blunders of the creators of DMC2?

Let the discussion begin. :cool:

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
To try and keep it cannon, Zwei’s answer would be best but personally, I just think the creators wanted to try something different and failed. We now know that DMC2 is meant to be the last in the series but when it first came out, it was such a massive leap from the old Dante, I think it upset a lot of the fans since there was no reason for him to be that way.

ZeroLove

To try and keep it cannon, Zwei’s answer would be best but personally, I just think the creators wanted to try something different and failed. We now know that DMC2 is meant to be the last in the series but when it first came out, it was such a massive leap from the old Dante, I think it upset a lot of the fans since there was no reason for him to be that way.

You're probably right, but I always try to come up with a story-based explanation when it comes to these things, to connect the pieces, y'know.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective

Almost exactly what I was going to say.

Originally I'd try to connect the dots like Zwei to make sense out of all the DMC story, but as even Capcom never bothered seriously with that, I'd prefer the cold facts logic.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Yeah most likely Dante's "cold" personality is the developers idea to make Dante seem more "bad @as" I suppose. But fan theories are always fun. :) But I think Dante's personality worked in DMC2 because DMC2 had a very dark and grudge like feel to it.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
I don't consider DMC2 to be canon, I still kinda sweep it to one side and pretend it’s not part of the DMC universe. Dante change way too dramatically and if DMC2 is the last in the chronology of the DMC games, I really don’t want that to be my lasting impression of Dante (especially since the prospects of DMC5 are looking a bit grim).

I did like that gothic, dark feel to the game and I think it could have worked Dante being more serious as he got older, due to what Zwei has said about it not being all fun and games but I just don’t think he would have change completely. I believe he would still keep up appearances, as it were in front of people, especially still be cocky towards enemies but sometimes take a moment to reflect and make a few serious comments here and there to his companions(?) and generally act a bit more mature.

Hmm, companions just doesn’t sound right, hehe. Hopefully you’ll get my meaning :D

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't consider DMC2 to be canon, I still kinda sweep it to one side and pretend it’s not part of the DMC universe.

You may deny DMC2's cannon status but the truth is it's their and that's that. I get your point thou, but some times I think this game is underrated.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
To be fair Dante is still cocky and so sure of himself that he reacts as if he doesn't even try seriously against the DMCC2 enemies. To me it looks as if he's extremely bored, yet still has to do it, so he does.

A perfect example for that is the battle against Trismagia in which he says: "Don't talk, just die." Implying that he's already heard that you're-the-son-of-Sparda crap millions of times already and doesn't really care to go through with them again. His power is already on a whole other level, beating the Despair Embodied without even transforming in the cut-scene, and being totally cool while doing it.

In a way he is still Dante, he is still sure of himself and overconfident, but it seems the DMC2 plot/enemies aren't enough to satisfy him and adapt a more this-is-fun attitude.

And to be honest who can blame him.

Thank god that this same Dante plays in SMT3: Nocturne. And he is more than alright there character-wise. For me after the DMC2, Dante traveled to many dimensions to kill demons - as I take every DMC-thing as canon, as much as I can - and by kill demons I mean "have fun" as well. After all according to him in DMC3 "this is what he lives for" XD

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Tony_Redgrave makes a great point. Dante is still the same awesome Dante we've come to love in DMC1,3 and 4 but their does seem to be a bordem to Dante in this installment.

Ultima

Obsessed Green Day Fangirl ^^
Maybe, Capcom mustve rushed to plans for DMC2 so blindly they forgot to give Dante a personality xD

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I think that he either

a.became more serious and mature over the many years of fighting Demons (similar to what zwei said).

or

b.something VERY bad happened to him after the events of DMC4 such as someone very close to him dying (possibly Lady or Trish) which caused him to mellow out alot and appreciate life more.

Selutu

Son of Death, Bringer of the dead
To be fair Dante is still cocky and so sure of himself that he reacts as if he doesn't even try seriously against the DMCC2 enemies. To me it looks as if he's extremely bored, yet still has to do it, so he does.

A perfect example for that is the battle against Trismagia in which he says: "Don't talk, just die." Implying that he's already heard that you're-the-son-of-Sparda crap millions of times already and doesn't really care to go through with them again. His power is already on a whole other level, beating the Despair Embodied without even transforming in the cut-scene, and being totally cool while doing it.

In a way he is still Dante, he is still sure of himself and overconfident, but it seems the DMC2 plot/enemies aren't enough to satisfy him and adapt a more this-is-fun attitude.

And to be honest who can blame him.

Thank god that this same Dante plays in SMT3: Nocturne. And he is more than alright there character-wise. For me after the DMC2, Dante traveled to many dimensions to kill demons - as I take every DMC-thing as canon, as much as I can - and by kill demons I mean "have fun" as well. After all according to him in DMC3 "this is what he lives for" XD
This pretty much sums up what I have to say...

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Also why do you think Dante adopted The Joker's coin flip?

Let the discussion begin. :cool:
The coin wasn't jokers
It was two faces >:O
images

Top Bottom