• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante & Nero. How do they hold their sword on their back?!

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
This thought has bugged me for years! How in the hell (pun intended!) does Dante and Nero hold their sword on their backs? I see no visible sword sheath so how do they hold the swords on their backs?

berto

I Saw the Devil
In Dante's case the swords are devil arms so they have a will of their own, they rest on his back because they so choose. In Nero's case it's a plot whole; but if you want to find a more satisfing answer then I'd say it's his demonic heritige that allows him to comand inanimate objects to stay in place or he has some kind of macnetic set up on his back under his coat.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
There has been no in universe explanation. They probably want us to ignore it.
The real life reason is that it is a lot easier and doesn't affect gameplay.

aoshi

This discussion is jus as wierd as some wonder how vergil's hair is perfectly combed. It's a "video-game" based on fiction. Swords like rebellion and red queen are huge to carry and to sprint with their arms or placing them anywhere else would seem uncomfortable and not very presentable. Vergil carried yamato in his arm which explains developers do know wat they are doing. Blaming developers not thinking through is jus stupid and dumb. It's very divine and satisfying to carry a sword on the back . Even metaphorically, Its like a responsibility that your back is supporting and that it will have your back in the toughest times. Its not jus having weapons that have advantages like yamato than weapons that need a skilled master to utilize their potential is wat impressed me about DMC games. I never liked nevan when i first got it. I wanted the beowulff. But after upgrading the weapon, its true potential was realized.

Frazz

General gamer
I think that all Dante and Nero are spiritually connected to their swords and I like to think that when Dante throws his sword he is in control of it with his mind power and wills it back! Just my two cents! :D

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
My best comical theory was the eternal black hole behind every fictional's character's back. Remember that folks? That's how Dante carries all his weapons.
How does Dante do it?! Every time he puts his sword away a sheath SE plays.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
We're all aware that Dante and Vergil have telepathic capabilities when it comes to their own unique swords. Dante with Rebellion, and Vergil with Yamato also. But the power must apply to all Devil Arms in general for them. An example would be in Devil May Cry 4 when Dante throws Yamato and then it comes back to him.

Sometimes with certain Devil Arms their are tests required to see if the person who wants to wield the weapon is capable of doing so. An example for this is in Devil May Cry 1, where Alistor impales Dante before realising that Dante is much stronger than to just simply die like that. In return the sword offers itself to him and then Dante can handle the weapon at will. More than likely the test itself is to defeat the demon who will then transform into a Devil Arm that Dante can use. So in fact I think it simply comes down to ownership. For Dante being able to wield Yamato, that comes down to bloodline. Dante is Vergil's twin brother, the sword was left as a gift from their father. I'm sure Vergil would also be able to wield Rebellion to the same effect.

So to answer the question it's to do with the fact that once possessing the weapon, the weapon itself is at your command. It will obey you and your actions. Therefore more than likely why the demonic weapons stay physically attached to Dante's person, although no real visible attachment is noticeable.

berto

I Saw the Devil
They have weapons on their backs and with no sheets or physical means but when they put them there are they actually touching them? I've always wondered. What if they aren't making actual physical contact?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
They have weapons on their backs and with no sheets or physical means but when they put them there are they actually touching them? I've always wondered. What if they aren't making actual physical contact?

just like how in God of war the blades are stuck in kartos's back

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
PLOT CONVENIENCE!! Like how in Dissidia & Kingdom Hearts weapons just appear in a flash of light...hmmm...Dante in Dissi- nevermind...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
The Round Trip move always suggested to me that the swords exist in supernatural servitude to the wielder, since it returns to their back. Not that it is just hanging there but is somehow touching them but also clinging there by its own strange power.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Not to mention that in the first episode of the anime, Dante magically calls Rebellion to his side at the very first scene.

yeah and every demon seem to do that by just stretching his arm the swords come racing towards their hands like a homing missile

Top Bottom