• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante is Vergil bigger brother in DmC:Devil May Cry?

debbloee

Hello everyone I want to ask this question since playing Vergil Downfall, but because loss internet connection I just post it now, cut to the case, in point where vergil meet with dante illusion in vergil downfall if i not wrong at the bus, dante says something that tell him that he is bigger brother to vergil, is this true or what, any opinion?
View attachment 582
*this is where Dante said: You know you can't keep up with your big brother to Vergil
PS: sorry for bad grammar

debbloee

yeah i know, then it's become upside down isn't it Vergil is bigger brother in DMC and Vergil become little brother in DmC

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I don't know. Maybe it's just a taunt, but it would make much more sense if Dante truly was the elder: this would be another factor which adds to Vergil's sense of inferiority towards Dante (which is the key to interpret all Vergil's Downfall).
I personally prefer this interpretation, but since I have no other confirmation I know of (aside taunts like this one: I mean, a clear statement), this just remains my personal opinion on the matter.

Edit:
well aren't they twins? im not so sure so i can't tell for all we now Dante could have said that as a joke in DMC3
Even if they are twins, one is always born first, even if it's only a matter of minutes.

However, I think that if they are jokes, they still could have a "foundation" in reality (it wouldn't make much sense for Dante calling himself "little brother" if he is not the second born, in DMC, much less so than for Dante saying "big brother" in DmC: in DmC this could just be a way of telling Vergil that he is better/stronger, but in DMC I do not find such subtle implications).
Then again, personal impressions. :)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Who knows for sure.It could be fake Dante lying and teasing Vergil....or it could be the truth.

Then again, isn' t there the idea that the more sensible sibling is the eldest, while a carefree one is younger? And I don't just mean Dante and Vergil. There is the idea that if someone is sensible then they must be older.

LysseC

Who knows for sure.It could be fake Dante lying and teasing Vergil....or it could be the truth.

Then again, isn' t there the idea that the more sensible sibling is the eldest, while a carefree one is younger? And I don't just mean Dante and Vergil. There is the idea that if someone is sensible then they must be older.
And this can work perfectly for DMC.

As for in DmC Vergil being the younger, I see it in this way: he's younger and "thus" the weaker of them (while Dante is the elder, the stornger, the one who protects the other weaker sibiling). But I don't know if this association of youg-weak vs old-strong is only a personal fancy or someone else has expressed a similar idea.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
And this can work perfectly for DMC.

As for in DmC Vergil being the younger, I see it in this way: he's younger and "thus" the weaker of them (while Dante is the elder, the stornger, the one who protects the other weaker sibiling). But I don't know if this association of youg-weak vs old-strong is only a personal fancy or someone else has expressed a similar idea.
That can also work too. Young=weak and strong=older.

Then again, in the Fatal fram/project zero game, there was a set of twins. The oldest one was weaker physically because of chilhood injury, so this made her seem like the youngest twin.

debbloee

I don't know. Maybe it's just a taunt, but it would make much more sense if Dante truly was the elder: this would be another factor which adds to Vergil's sense of inferiority towards Dante (which is the key to interpret all Vergil's Downfall).
I personally prefer this interpretation, but since I have no other confirmation I know of (aside taunts like this one: I mean, a clear statement), this just remains my personal opinion on the matter.

Edit:

Even if they are twins, one is always born first, even if it's only a matter of minutes.

However, I think that if they are jokes, they still could have a "foundation" in reality (it wouldn't make much sense for Dante calling himself "little brother" if he is not the second born, in DMC, much less so than for Dante saying "big brother" in DmC: in DmC this could just be a way of telling Vergil that he is better/stronger, but in DMC I do not find such subtle implications).
Then again, personal impressions. :)
-Totally Agreed-

debbloee

IMO that could be the truth, because no way could he lying his own identity that he is the bigger brother.
I don't think so elder or younger if they are twin it only matter minutes or at least hours. That idea is right for someone that is not twin brother or sister because have age different for at least a year.

Sunaka Marién

Hmm, wasn't there a treat about this not so long ago?
Anyway, there sure isn't a definite way to tell who's older.
My theory is that they actally don't know, and what Hollow Dante said was what Vergil feared: That he might be the younger brother. Either this or it is simply a metaphor for Dante being stronger.
One could also argue that Dante is younger, since, according to Vergil, he was favored by their mother. I think this is something rather common, that the elder sibling feels like the younger one is being treated better, I wouldn't wonder if this also applied to twins.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
judging by his tone i think he was taunting him
I think it would be interesting if it was true which I got high bets of it being so :3 think about it, it would add to the fact how Vergil felt weaker because of the fact he was the youngest brother and would also play a factor to his need for more power, along with how Dante was always the strongest and beat him in sword fights as a child [that we've seen in two flashbacks of them as kids.] If you go into it even more, Vergil needing the last word on the whole 'I'm stronger, I'm smarter' conversation could hint at his insecurity for being considered the weaker sibling, not something he would particular like, especially for a guy that wants to be a ruler.

The whole of Vergil's Downfall is set inside Vergil's subconscious while he's out cold, that is all reflected in the DLC by how events play out [this is also reflected at one point by the way Vergil kills Hollow Dante so easily, because it is his desirer to defeat his brother after what transpired at the end of DmC].

So yep :3 I believe it's possible the taunt about Dante being the oldest was true. Even if they're twins born on the same day, the older and younger brother thing would still apply for them as a "I'm better than you" banter between them growing up.

LysseC

Did I mention the bigger dang-a-lang?
Hell yeah! :troll:

Tch! It is a taunt. After all Vergil has more experience in combat and (way) smarter than his little bro.
I thought Dante was the most experienced of the two... :ermm:
But the problem is, Vergil can't see his merits when he confronts himself to Dante. Ah, insecurities, insecurities...
I think it would be interesting if it was true which I got high bets of it being so :3 think about it, it would add to the fact how Vergil felt weaker because of the fact he was the youngest brother and would also play a factor to his need for more power, along with how Dante was always the strongest and beat him in sword fights as a child [that we've seen in two flashbacks of them as kids.] If you go into it even more, Vergil needing the last word on the whole 'I'm stronger, I'm smarter' conversation could hint at his insecurity for being considered the weaker sibling, not something he would particular like, especially for a guy that wants to be a ruler.

The whole of Vergil's Downfall is set inside Vergil's subconscious while he's out cold, that is all reflected in the DLC by how events play out [this is also reflected at one point by the way Vergil kills Hollow Dante so easily, because it is his desirer to defeat his brother after what transpired at the end of DmC].

So yep :3 I believe it's possible the taunt about Dante being the oldest was true. Even if they're twins born on the same day, the older and younger brother thing would still apply for them as a "I'm better than you" banter between them growing up.
Exactly what I thought.
And this makes me think about a thing: is just me, or the relationship between the DmC twins seems more strained than the one between DMC Dante and Vergil? I mean, with DmC Vergil carrying that resentment born from insecurity towards Dante...

Sunaka Marién

Very good arguments! But at the same time, it isn't that rare for a younger sibling to easily surpass the older one - it's like that with my little sis and me.
So it could also be that it makes Vergil upset that, despite being older, he is still not as powerful as Dante, which would probably lead into and even bigger feeling of inferiority paired with a bit of humiliation.

EllDawn

This is just my opinion, but since Vergil seems to be trying to prove himself that kind of makes it look more like it's true that he's the younger twin. I don't know about anyone else, but when you have an older sibling that is great at so many things, you feel like you need to prove you're just as good. Maybe even better.

Dante47

I'm sure that they are practically the same age. Hence, perfect twins.
However, whoever is the superior of the two means that they are "the big brother."

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I'm sure that they are practically the same age. Hence, perfect twins.
However, whoever is the superior of the two means that they are "the big brother."

No, whichever popped out of mom first is "big brother". There's always a baby that comes out first, there is no such thing as "perfect twins".

Dante47

No, whichever popped out of mom first is "big brother". There's always a baby that comes out first, there is no such thing as "perfect twins".
It doesn't matter who left the womb first. They were conceived and grown in the womb consecutively.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
No, it does matter who pops out first, that's what "which one is BORN first" is. YOu're not classified as born until you're OUT.

Top Bottom