• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante and who he really is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Force_Edge

Master of Muppets
I remember reading from one of the creators of the first instalment of Devil May Cry that the idea of Dante was partially inspired by a manga he had read. It was that Dante was a seemingly carefree, cocky detective who, however, would on rare occasions show his serious side. It's the part we see when Mundus kills Griffin and when Vergil and Dante have their final square-off prior to Vergil's fall to darkness.

If you go back to this game, you'll notice that Dante's attitude isn't as over-the-top as some believe. His lines that come off as "carefree, cocky, with attitude" or anything of the sort are ones like:

"Whoa, slow down babe! Nature calls? It's in the back" and "I hope you've got something inside that big body of yours". Other ones go like this: Dante investigates something, then goes "Whatever..." or "Spooky..." alternatively, to Phantom he says: "I'm tired of playing your childish games" and to Griffin, "Flock off, feather face! OR you can stick around and find out the hard way!" to answer Griffin's question: "Are you the (something) that challenges the darkness Mundus?"

I think they're self-controlled, not hyped up, and cool/calm/collected when said. It's not the Dante everyone seems to like that really flips (possible he did during his younger days).

What really shows Dante is scenes like the one where he spares Trish. I think the lines he say that come in mind are:

"Don't come any closer you devil! You may look like my mother but you'll never be her. You have no soul. You may have the face but you'll never have her fire!" or something like that. He tells her that next time, he won't go easy on her like this time. Now, the rage, the sincere anger and pain in his voice is just... it's one of the reasons why Dante from DMC1 appeals to me so much. When he said "Don't come any closer you devil!" my heart really raced and then stopped, I was blatantly taken aback by the outburst. It really had a special effect, and added to his character.

Now go further ahead, prior to the battle with Mundus.

"How much longer are you going to keep zapping? Come out and show yourself, Mundus!" there's not cockiness in his voice so much as plain authority, demand and this sick-of-playing-your-damned-games tone. Further ahead he doesn't say, shut up or zip it. No, he goes "Silence!!"

Now, go to the cheesy scene "I should've been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" Now did anyone took their time and really let it melt that Dante cried there? More or less openly seeing as the tears didn't trickle down, they were flung out in a not-so-hidden pain.

Where did this Dante go? The Dante with the calm, subtle cockiness and the incredible voice that fitted prefectly during his moments of attitude and moments of anger. Vergil had this voice ("You're wasting time!", "Be gone!", two examples of this). Even Nero has this voice ("Give me more power!", "Crash", "Try this!") are examples of it. When Dante in DMC1 performed the Stinger move or Helmbreaker, his cry right there were really great.

I miss this Dante. It is why this Dante will always be MY DANTE. It is why, in DMC4, the only thing that makes Dante equal to Nero is that, what Dante lacks in voice, he makes up for his sincere look, something that seems taken from DMC1. Thank you Capcom =)

KoRnDawwg

-is writing an album
Are you basically saying that Dante appeals to you as a three-dimentional character whose personality changes throughout the game?

Force_Edge

Master of Muppets
Nope. Where did you get that idea? Are you implying lack of seriousness? Because I was serious on the matter. Just like any video game or film character may appeal to you somehow, Dante does in DMC1 to me, and I just shared a few thoughts. If you can't contribute with anything intelligent, leave it out ^_^ kthxbye

Force_Edge

Master of Muppets
haha nah, I just said that there's no need to reply on a thread where the initial post is just random thoughts unless you contribute something to the thread. Doesn't matter how/who/what you are, I didn't find that any of the above replies added anything to the topic at hand.

Anyway, I just thought of another thing. Dante tells Nelo Angelo, before their final battle: "A man with guts and honor. I like that. But it's a shame you serve Mundus".

How ofter does Dante complement an enemy? I can't think of any other than this particular time. Funny thing is, he refers to Nelo Angelo as a "man". I think, coincidential or not, that it implies that Dante might not really have wanted to kill Nelo, but felt it was a waste that Nelo was under a cruel demon's rule. Or something. Uhm yes, just thought I'd mention it.

Force_Edge;15568 said:
I remember reading from one of the creators of the first instalment of Devil May Cry that the idea of Dante was partially inspired by a manga he had read. It was that Dante was a seemingly carefree, cocky detective who, however, would on rare occasions show his serious side. It's the part we see when Mundus kills Griffin and when Vergil and Dante have their final square-off prior to Vergil's fall to darkness.

If you go back to this game, you'll notice that Dante's attitude isn't as over-the-top as some believe. His lines that come off as "carefree, cocky, with attitude" or anything of the sort are ones like:

"Whoa, slow down babe! Nature calls? It's in the back" and "I hope you've got something inside that big body of yours". Other ones go like this: Dante investigates something, then goes "Whatever..." or "Spooky..." alternatively, to Phantom he says: "I'm tired of playing your childish games" and to Griffin, "Flock off, feather face! OR you can stick around and find out the hard way!" to answer Griffin's question: "Are you the (something) that challenges the darkness Mundus?"

I think they're self-controlled, not hyped up, and cool/calm/collected when said. It's not the Dante everyone seems to like that really flips (possible he did during his younger days).

What really shows Dante is scenes like the one where he spares Trish. I think the lines he say that come in mind are:

"Don't come any closer you devil! You may look like my mother but you'll never be her. You have no soul. You may have the face but you'll never have her fire!" or something like that. He tells her that next time, he won't go easy on her like this time. Now, the rage, the sincere anger and pain in his voice is just... it's one of the reasons why Dante from DMC1 appeals to me so much. When he said "Don't come any closer you devil!" my heart really raced and then stopped, I was blatantly taken aback by the outburst. It really had a special effect, and added to his character.

"How much longer are you going to keep zapping? Come out and show yourself, Mundus!" there's not cockiness in his voice so much as plain authority, demand and this sick-of-playing-your-damned-games tone. Further ahead he doesn't say, shut up or zip it. No, he goes "Silence!!"

Now, go to the cheesy scene "I should've been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" Now did anyone took their time and really let it melt that Dante cried there? More or less openly seeing as the tears didn't trickle down, they were flung out in a not-so-hidden pain.

Where did this Dante go? The Dante with the calm, subtle cockiness and the incredible voice that fitted prefectly during his moments of attitude and moments of anger. Vergil had this voice ("You're wasting time!", "Be gone!", two examples of this). Even Nero has this voice ("Give me more power!", "Crash", "Try this!") are examples of it. When Dante in DMC1 performed the Stinger move or Helmbreaker, his cry right there were really great.

I miss this Dante. It is why this Dante will always be MY DANTE. It is why, in DMC4, the only thing that makes Dante equal to Nero is that, what Dante lacks in voice, he makes up for his sincere look, something that seems taken from DMC1. Thank you Capcom =)

i agree with you...dante is really misinterpreted at times..i guess thats what dmc2 tried to show but ppl didnt appreciate that...well good thread...really liked it

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
I'm a major Dante fan girl and for one reason, he is not the two dimensional classic vg character.

pinky750

Sir Fretalot
you have seen dante exactly how i see him. his character was perfect in dmc1: his seriousness from dmc2 and his in-your-face attitude from dmc3. but remember, right at the end of dmc3 dante shows he can be serious and the final fight between him and vergil is a powerful scene in my eyes because of this personality switch. the way they used to joke around with each other in their previous encounters, then get really serious is what makes it a brilliant storyline.

Force_Edge

Master of Muppets
Pinky, I agree. You know, It's really the only scene where I for once appreciated Dante. Though at the end when he goes "Bring it on! This is what I live for! I'm absolutely crazy about it!!" I think that, too, was over-the-top. Though maybe that's his way to try to not get too emotional, but yeah, there seems to be too little of that Dante.

Oh well... it's always like that. The original always have something the seuqels lack. Seems to apply to all games, really. Well, most MODERN games.

pinky750

Sir Fretalot
he was over-the-top in dmc3 because he was young and (here comes a theory) dante might have become serious after the "death" of vergil.

hamshanks

Apprentice of Doom
ahh, good point. dante probably thought that when vergil was falling into the demon world he would surely die. although dante and vergil seemed to hate eachother throughout the game, you can tell at certain points in the game that they care for eachother

*THEORY*
in DMC1 dante knew that nelo angelo was virgil all along, thats why he congratulated him after their fight, and he instantly knew when nelo was around.

aoshi

I see u r a big fan of dante (DMC1).U did miss that dante in dmc3.Actually capcom created dante intentionally to be cocky and carefree.He plays with demons and is not hunting them down in dmc3.But in dmc1 he is on a mission.

"Dante's awakening" not only signifies his birth of Devil trigger but also his awakenin from a playful boy to a warrior.

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
Force_Edge;15568 said:

ur right about it........Dante could be cocky, but Dante will be always Dante.........and the girls like cocky guys.............thats why the guys put Dante cocky with those cocky words.

Nikz

..!Jackpot!..
I agree that Dante became more serious after Vergil dissappeared... but he didnt die!! just Mundus took him to his side and made him Nelo Angelo..
There was a russian magazine, saying that in DMC 3 Dante is 19 years old.. lol then Vergil looks older!

AkitoSora

I totaly know how you feel but i like the fact Dante has many sides to him not just the cocky carefre side I mean it has to be exhusting to be carefree all teh time, and besides when he is sad he cries when he is happy he laughs when he is anger he shoots things Its good to know that he has many sides to him if he didn't wouldn't that make him boring? I think its good to have many sides to a person...but then again you guys don't have to listen to me I'm jsut speaking with my heart not brain ...I'm a air head hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom