• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Customize Your DMC.org Experience! (For the Staff/Admin)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I was thinking about how we could make the forum easier for us (and the staff) so members can post freely in a way that won't warrant any chiding, breaching of rules, offended/hurt feelings, and which I believe will cut the childish bickering down to the extent where the ignore function will very rarely need to be put into use.

So a suggestion to accomplish this is to shift a 'self censor posts' option under the Edit Options tab into our accounts. The member can type in whatever words they find offensive and don't wish to see, for example: bitch, Halo, Tameem, monkeyballs, Dino, Master_Vergil, +rep, and so on and so forth. So when someone posts using any of the words you typed into your censor field, all you'll see is *****. It follows the same principle as the general word censor option admins have all over the forum, with the difference that members can customize this themselves for themselves and enjoy their time here a lot more.

Just an idea.^_^

Credit to Miktar for coming up with it...in small print...cos how DARE he not send a whisper of DmC on the game forum...duuurn you Miktar!

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Master Vergil;282745 said:
I was thinking about how we could make the forum easier for us (and the staff) so members can post freely in a way that won't warrant any chiding, breaching of rules, offended/hurt feelings, and which I believe will cut the childish bickering down to the extent where the ignore function will very rarely need to be put into use.

So a suggestion to accomplish this is to shift a 'self censor posts' option under the Edit Options tab into our accounts. The member can type in whatever words they find offensive and don't wish to see, for example: bitch, Halo, Tameem, monkeyballs, Dino, Master_Vergil, +rep, and so on and so forth. So when someone posts using any of the words you typed into your censor field, all you'll see is *****. It follows the same principle as the general word censor option admins have all over the forum, with the difference that members can customize this themselves for themselves and enjoy their time here a lot more.

Just an idea.^_^

Credit to Miktar for coming up with it...in small print...cos how DARE he not send a whisper of DmC on the game forum...duuurn you Miktar!

Personally I find this would actually do the opposite, by taking away somebody's sense of freedom. If people are expressing themselves, but not seen to be expressing themselves, it'll probably make them less likely to post if anything.

If we want to run the Forums on a Censor/Filtering words System, where 'words people don't want to view' are covered, then things may start to get a little confusing. I can understand where you are coming from, trying to take away arguments by making posts suitable to everybody's taste. But you could use any word as an example. So who is to say the feature won't be abused? To the point where nobody speaks because people have been childish and censored the word 'hello'.

In my own opinion, everyone is going to say or do something that bothers somebody else. Because nobody is perfect, let's face it. The only way to cut this down would be for Staff members to approve people's posts after reading them. And this wouldn't work on the basis that they aren't going to be around all the time. The place would be bare if we all had to wait a matter of hours until our posts were deemed 'Inoffensive'. And the Staff aren't going to be aware of what some people may or may not want to read/view, so they couldn't control everything in that respect.

Ultimately, the best option is to just ignore what you don't like. You have the choice as to whether to view what someone has said or to not view it. So it is your own decision at the end of the day, and nobody else's. Take to heart what you will, but don't expect everything to be suited to you. That's just the way things work, on here and in real life.

A lot of respect, appreciation and admiration for your suggestions, but in my views it wouldn't work so well.

But those are just my points, let's see what other people say on this first ^_^

Meg

^ I agree with you LoD! :)

MV, I think its a nice idea, but as LoD nicely pointed out, it wouldn't work. I think it would be most confusing because you won't know what word the person used. People might just assume the worst and the meaning behind what someone said could be lost.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Also the fact that sometimes its not the actual words that cause the offence its the manner in which they are spoken.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Meg;282887 said:
^ You mean typed. XD

Yeah but in order to be typed the person has spoken them to themselves in their mind as id hope 'most' people think before they type. Then communicated with the rest of the forum. =]

Top Bottom