• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Character Analysis : Vergil is a Sociopath

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Ithink that in this case Mundus is surprised not because he thinks he is in the right, but because he thinks he is simply too powerful for anyone to attack him. Vergil, on the other hand, is surprised that Dante opposes him because he thinks to be in the right.

As for the sequel, that would be interesting to see, but I think that after VD now Vergil is set on demonstrating that he is more powerful than Dante, he is no more interested in having him as an ally, now he just sees Dante as a rival to be surpassed (just like he is doing with Hollow Dante).
Yep, it's more of a sense of 'how can you be stupid enough to even think of attacking me.' Mundus has too much pride in himself and his powers to even think someone would stand up to him.

You're right. This new Vergil would be more likely to want to kill Dante, just like in downfall to prove that he is the son of Sparda. Vergil wouldn't want anyone getting in the way of his plans, especially his brother.

aoshi

• A Sociopath often feels a grand sense of entitlement, that certain things are their "right" as a person. This can easily be identified in Vergil when he had decided that he would be the demon king, regardless of what Dante would think of it. From seemingly day one, Vergil had it all figured out and plotted within his head. When Dante defeated him, his insane world where he was king, had been shattered.
You are misinterpreting his ambitious attitude. Anyone can be ambitious. He even says he would not enslave humans as mundus. Vergil has lead the entire operation to bring mundus down. Yeah, dante did too. But if vergil was ambitious to rule over humans, I don't see anything wrong. Even though democracy is run by people who elect the government, There is president who at the end of the day will decide wats best for the country for his term. However, I do see vergil incapable of doing the right things for humans cuz he was an absolute douche at the end of mission 12 to kat. His ambitions were right but he lacks a human side to it.
  • A sociopath often feels little to no remorse/guilt for others, they do not see the people around then as people. They see them simply as tools for their own objectives. Vergil used Dante and Kat, and countless other humans working in the Order, simply as tools. What little love Vergil had felt for Dante may have been real, but that was destroyed during Downfall.
  • A sociopath does not view people as people, but rather tools. They prefer to have their world and achievements built up for them, which clearly shows within DmC. We didn't see Vergil doing any of the work, except for a tidbit within the Mundus battle. He didn't even bat a lash when Kat had been taken by Mundus, easily willing to just throw her aside despite what she had done for him.
Both the points you have mentioned mean the same that Vergil used dante and kat. I don't know why you have made them as two points. Anyways, Vergil helped dante and kat see the world for how it is. Kat says vergil helped her in dealing with demons. To dante, he explains his heritage of sparda. So both kat and dante had a purpose for themselves which tied with vergil's plans. Technically, kat felt obligated and dante accomplished wat he wanted and in the process carrying out vergil's plans.Sorry, can't say they(Dante and kat) were expendable.
Although, we live in a world where we get used everyday in the name of money. Employees working under a manager carry out instructions from the manager. So wat now the employees are getting used by the manager????A teacher teaches students and students use this knowledge to improve their profile????So now teachers are getting used by the students????In both cases i have mentioned, the answer would be that employees and teachers get money in return. If money is the answer, could not have manager use money to get the job done, or students use money to improve their profile. It's a lot more complicated to say vergil was using dante and kat. Or even come to a conclusion that someone was expendable.
  • A sociopath is also very Irresponsible, they do not take responsibility for their own actions. This is very obvious within Downfall. Vergil didn't take blame for his own actions, for what had happened after the final battle with Mundus. But instead, he had blamed others for his own faults and actions, and even his own deceased mother. He had created an enemy to attack, and singled out Kat and Dante as the ones who had wronged him.

Sorry, Wat blame does he need to take?? That he ended demons enslaving humans. He felt the responsibility to rule humans cuz he felt humans would easily succumb to another demon attack or even cause chaos. And the reason is quite simple, they(humans) easily succumbed to mundus.

Anyone would bend to thier subconcious mind under a lot of pressure. In fact, kat was comparing vergil to dante though it was vergil who helped kat in dealing with demons. I do agree that blaming his mother for his defeat to dante was irrational. I also think it was OOC. Classic vergil is known to have suffered his guilt of failing to protect his mother. So i don't agree with NT's vergil that he would abandon his mother jus out of jealousy on dante.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I do agree that blaming his mother for his defeat to dante was irrational. I also think it was OOC. Classic vergil is known to have suffered his guilt of failing to protect his mother. So i don't agree with NT's vergil that he would abandon his mother jus out of jealousy on dante.[/quote]

That's why I said in another thread what NT Dante and Vergil have in common with DMC Vergil and Dante was their Jungian Archetype.If we search deep in their personalities, they are quite different.
Comparing these two versions is like comparing me with other person who happens to have the same hair colour, same name and living in the same city.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Both Vergils share a lot in common with each other. Right down the fact that they are both deeply troubled people, that share many many illnesses. That both stem from very similar issues.

DMC Vergil is insane, flat out insane. No arguing no maybe no possibly. THE MAN IS INSANE! He treats all life as disposable and secondary to him, he is allowed to end it because its not him. Therefore it isn't worth his time worrying about it. He has no conscience even when it comes to the most brutal of acts. The only shred of humanity inside him is his connection to his brother Dante. A connection he viciously hacks at throughout the game trying to sever permanently. He lives in an idealized fantasy cut off from reality, in his mind he is doing nothing wrong. He is simply following the natural order of things, the powerful become more powerful and live. His code that he lives by is a demented take on his fathers code. His end game is to become his father because his father was all powerful and happy. And in his eyes that means if he wants to be happy he needs to be like his father. His code allows him to slaughter thousands of innocents to raise Teminigru but wont allow him to shoot a gun. He will slash your throat in a heartbeat but he wont hide the fact that he does. It makes no real sense when you look into it because unlike his father, he has no respect for life to base that code on.

We get little from DmC Vergil. But from what we can gather, he too has a lust for power. But power is a means to an end, and the end is control. He wants to control everything because in his mind that creates the order. He see's himself as the misunderstood hero of the story, thwarted by arrogant fools who betrayed him when he needed him most and a mother who always thought of him as second best of two. None of which is true, but his mind twists it so that becomes his reality. He undergoes a major psychological episode where he envisions himself as a cold remorseless killer and proceeds to work his way to become that image. He kills his brother and leaves his mother for dead in his own mental fantasy...yh, thats messed up. The thing is he doesn't see it as wrong but as some form of justice. which is ultimately what he thinks he is fighting for.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Both Vergils share a lot in common with each other. Right down the fact that they are both deeply troubled people, that share many many illnesses. That both stem from very similar issues.

DMC Vergil is insane, flat out insane. No arguing no maybe no possibly. THE MAN IS INSANE! He treats all life as disposable and secondary to him, he is allowed to end it because its not him. Therefore it isn't worth his time worrying about it. He has no conscience even when it comes to the most brutal of acts. The only shred of humanity inside him is his connection to his brother Dante. A connection he viciously hacks at throughout the game trying to sever permanently. He lives in an idealized fantasy cut off from reality, in his mind he is doing nothing wrong. He is simply following the natural order of things, the powerful become more powerful and live. His code that he lives by is a demented take on his fathers code. His end game is to become his father because his father was all powerful and happy. And in his eyes that means if he wants to be happy he needs to be like his father. His code allows him to slaughter thousands of innocents to raise Teminigru but wont allow him to shoot a gun. He will slash your throat in a heartbeat but he wont hide the fact that he does. It makes no real sense when you look into it because unlike his father, he has no respect for life to base that code on.

If that was the case why didn't he kill Lady when her guard was down and she was practically defenseless if he has no qualms for life?

I mean she was there. He had a sword. She was weak and defenseless. Lady is not Vergil and Vergil is not Lady. So by your logic he is allowed to end her life. Considering she even got in his way before and technically was the main reason why Arkham ruined his plans he would've been ****ed enough to strike her down but he didn't.

He didn't slaughter anyone to raise Temen-ni-Gru but it seems raising Temen-ni-Gru may have allowed for a lot of casualties. Plus I don't really see the difference in DmC when Vergil closed the Hell Gate fusing the 2 worlds and well led to the destruction of the city (similar to DMC3) causing plenty of casualties and well demons now roaming the human world potentially causing more casualties all while they relish in the moment of their victory.

Now he did kill some human thugs in the DMC3 manga because they were antagonizing him....sort of.

But the fact Vergil threw away his humanity and embraces his demon side (unlike Dante) is as obvious as the morning sun.

He considers himself more of a demon than a human...or only a demon.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Allow me to summarize.

oVergil is a proud asshole with a Superiority complex

reVergil is a smug asshole with a Superiority complex.

Therefore, to be Vergil, you must be an asshole with a Superiority complex.

Reactions: Jak

788Masri

If that was the case why didn't he kill Lady when her guard was down and she was practically defenseless if he has no qualms for life?

I mean she was there. He had a sword. She was weak and defenseless. Lady is not Vergil and Vergil is not Lady. So by your logic he is allowed to end her life. Considering she even got in his way before and technically was the main reason why Arkham ruined his plans he would've been ****ed enough to strike her down but he didn't.

He didn't slaughter anyone to raise Temen-ni-Gru but it seems raising Temen-ni-Gru may have allowed for a lot of casualties. Plus I don't really see the difference in DmC when Vergil closed the Hell Gate fusing the 2 worlds and well led to the destruction of the city (similar to DMC3) causing plenty of casualties and well demons now roaming the human world potentially causing more casualties all while they relish in the moment of their victory.

Now he did kill some human thugs in the DMC3 manga because they were antagonizing him....sort of.

But the fact Vergil threw away his humanity and embraces his demon side (unlike Dante) is as obvious as the morning sun.

He considers himself more of a demon than a human...or only a demon.

I didnt say he enjoys killing, I said human life means nothing to him. It made no difference to him if Lady lived or died. that being said he DID want lady to die and ordered Arkham to do it several times, even turning on him when he didn't. Plus im pretty sure when he raised temini gru he sacrificed an entire village to do it in the manga. Even if he didn't by openeing the portal to the demon word he would have killed millions.

I agree that he did cut off his humanity and that lines up with my "he wants to be sparda" theory. Sparda was a demon so Vergil reasons that humanity is a weakness that he needs to get rid of. But he isn't, which is why I stand by my thinking that he is insane.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I didnt say he enjoys killing, I said human life means nothing to him. It made no difference to him if Lady lived or died. that being said he DID want lady to die and ordered Arkham to do it several times, even turning on him when he didn't. Plus im pretty sure when he raised temini gru he sacrificed an entire village to do it in the manga. Even if he didn't by openeing the portal to the demon word he would have killed millions.

I agree that he did cut off his humanity and that lines up with my "he wants to be sparda" theory. Sparda was a demon so Vergil reasons that humanity is a weakness that he needs to get rid of. But he isn't, which is why I stand by my thinking that he is insane.

Actually in the legends it was never clear on the fact or idea that Sparda cherished humanity so that was the source of his power (in fact that was an assumption that Nero made) and no one knows why he did what he did. Some legends even stated that they thought Sparda took pity on humans and Sparda even ruled humans. Vergil apparently did a lot of research on Sparda (DMC4 novel) and he even told Sanctus his goal was to become a legend like him (that is if we take the DMC4 novel canon's seriously) but he needed Sparda's power to do so. He clearly admired his father (much more than Dante in DMC3) so its more of aggressive admiration and not wanting to live in his father's shadow or be as great as daddy not be like daddy but be as great as him.

It reminds me of the book/movie I saw where one character's father was a king and he wanted to be as great as a king as his father and as highly respected and revered so he kills his father and takes over his throne. He loved his father a lot and the scene where he suffocated him death with his chest he was crying a lot.

Vergil isn't insane he is just misguided.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...that is insane.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Actually in the legends it was never clear on the fact or idea that Sparda cherished humanity so that was the source of his power (in fact that was an assumption that Nero made) and no one knows why he did what he did. Some legends even stated that they thought Sparda took pity on humans and Sparda even ruled humans. Vergil apparently did a lot of research on Sparda (DMC4 novel) and he even told Sanctus his goal was to become a legend like him (that is if we take the DMC4 novel canon's seriously) but he needed Sparda's power to do so. He clearly admired his father (much more than Dante in DMC3) so its more of aggressive admiration and not wanting to live in his father's shadow or be as great as daddy not be like daddy but be as great as him.

It reminds me of the book/movie I saw where one character's father was a king and he wanted to be as great as a king as his father and as highly respected and revered so he kills his father and takes over his throne. He loved his father a lot and the scene where he suffocated him death with his chest he was crying a lot.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...that is insane.

but lest say the story goes on. lets say dante and vergil are destined to do this dance forever. whats to say vergil isn't insane. because you know as well as i do that no matter how many times DmC vergil will try, he will lose to his big brother. and then he'll keep trying. sometimes he'll even know he will fail, but he will keep on doing what he's doing. until one day, one of them kicks the bucket. and the dance is done

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
but lest say the story goes on. lets say dante and vergil are destined to do this dance forever. whats to say vergil isn't insane. because you know as well as i do that no matter how many times DmC vergil will try, he will lose to his big brother. and then he'll keep trying. sometimes he'll even know he will fail, but he will keep on doing what he's doing. until one day, one of them kicks the bucket. and the dance is done

Are we talking about DmC Vergil or DMC Vergil?

I guess DmC Vergil is insane if that does happen and it seems like it might happen.

In fact you can say Dr. Eggman and Bowser are insane since they keep trying the same shtick expecting different results or their desired results.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Are we talking about DmC Vergil or DMC Vergil?

I guess DmC Vergil is insane if that does happen and it seems like it might happen.

In fact you can say Dr. Eggman and Bowser are insane since they keep trying the same shtick expecting different results or their desired results.

depends. dr. eggman can be classified as insane, but after watching sonic underground (my guilty pleasure) i think its safe to say that he isn't insane...he's mental...big time...like, huge time...but he's not insane...technecally

788Masri

That is A definition of insanity. Others include when you write on the walls muttering to yourself as the voices in your head scream at you. Or when you have no regard for human life and have no qualms with murder. Vergil isnt misguided he is insane.

Top Bottom