• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom survey asks about Mega Man 11 and future collections

Sesha

Capcom Japan has launched an online survey asking Mega Man fans what they'd like to see from the franchise next. The survey is currently limited to Japanese-speaking audiences, found within a URL bundled with the Nintendo 3DS version of Rockman Classics Collection.

The first batch of questions are pretty generic, like which consoles you own and so forth. In the second set, Capcom asks if "you would like to play a new entry in the classic series (like Mega Man 11). The third set concerns future collections, basically asking which past series (X, Zero, Legends, Battle Network, ZX, Star Force) would you like to see collected.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/0...ga-man-11.html

Although the survey is JP-only, it can be Google Translated no problem.

Credit goes to Baust on NeoGAF for inspiring this near-repost.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm, i'm not sure what I'd want from a future megaman game.

Hell, i'm just suprised that Capcom even remembers what Megaman is anymore.

Sesha

The Mega Man Collection from last year must have done well enough for itself. They even recently updated the busted PS4 version, after months of fan feedback.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I've decided, what I want most in the series is the fabled Megaman Legends 3.

"Legends never die..."

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I ended up really loving the ZX games. However, I would most certainly like a proper Mega Man Legends installment on PS4

UncannyGarlic

It would be nice if they were more forward looking with the Mega Man franchsie. The Mega Max X series was mostly successful, with 5 having issues and 7 bombing hard. The move back to the orginally series and 8-bit graphics was a smart play on fads but I'd really like to see the series improve, not just more of the same.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I suppose it depends on what Capcom is looking to get out of this. Are they gonna play it safe and go with a smaller budget and make a traditional 2D platformer, or will they push the boat out with more modern gameplay and hope it sells.

Would a traditional Megaman game sell many copies these days I wonder?

Sesha

Mega Man 9 and 10 did well. Considering the demand for a new title I think it would do well, especially after the rise and fall of Mighty No. 9.

It would be nice if they were more forward looking with the Mega Man franchsie. The Mega Max X series was mostly successful, with 5 having issues and 7 bombing hard. The move back to the orginally series and 8-bit graphics was a smart play on fads but I'd really like to see the series improve, not just more of the same.

X became just another sub-series after MM7 and 8. It's not the successor to the original series any more. They have different fan bases as well. People who like the original series might not care for X and vice versa.

If they're continuing the original series it's going to play in a similar style. For X-type gameplay they have that series.

UncannyGarlic

I suppose it depends on what Capcom is looking to get out of this. Are they gonna play it safe and go with a smaller budget and make a traditional 2D platformer, or will they push the boat out with more modern gameplay and hope it sells.
I hope they do the latter but after X7 bombed and they returned closer to formula with X8, which had a tepid critical reception and marked the end of console releases for years, I doubt it.

Mega Man 9 and 10 did well. Considering the demand for a new title I think it would do well, especially after the rise and fall of Mighty No. 9.
Yeah, I've been surprised that we haven't seen a Mega Man 11. Both games were well received and seem to have been comericially viable so I'm not sure what's happening.

X became just another sub-series after MM7 and 8. It's not the successor to the original series any more. They have different fan bases as well. People who like the original series might not care for X and vice versa.

If they're continuing the original series it's going to play in a similar style. For X-type gameplay they have that series.

It's interesting that you say that since Mega Man 8 was heavily criticized for not being innovative at the time. It would have been interesting to have had Mega Man and Bass released internationally at the time to contrast the reactions. The addition of more playable characters was clearly a good one since 9 & 10 monetized it.

I think that the problem with the series was that they didn't know how to bring it forward after the first and fourth Mega Man X games. They focused heavily on the armor but floundered and lengthened the levels instead of adding more.

Mega Man 7 & 8 also suffered from the lengthening of levels, 8 especially, and the addition of the shop was a clunky method to add gameplay options. I'd argue that it's lack of success was evident in the lack of sequels.

Mega Man 9 & 10 I think took advantage of the retro trend, nostalgia, and the drought in the market. Had they been released shortly after Mega Man 8, I'm skeptical that they would have received the same response.

Sesha

Yeah, I've been surprised that we haven't seen a Mega Man 11. Both games were well received and seem to have been comericially viable so I'm not sure what's happening.

Inafune leaving was a major factor. He was mostly the one pushing for new entries.

Considering everything Capcom has done for the past 12-18 months, I expect something will come out of this survey, unlike similar surveys for Street Fighter or other franchises.

Mega Man 9 & 10 I think took advantage of the retro trend, nostalgia, and the drought in the market. Had they been released shortly after Mega Man 8, I'm skeptical that they would have received the same response.

They came out at the right time. Due to the success of titles like Braid, Splosion Man and Super Meat Boy there was an interest in retro titles and 2D platformers at the time. It was a good read of market trends, one of the few good ideas Inafune has had in recent years, if that was the case.
I wonder if time is right for a new Mega Man title. People have become increasingly frustrated after his absence in MvC3, the cancellations of Legends 3 and Universe, the tepid 25th anniversary, followed by the promise and subsequent disappointment of MN9, and his excellent and tantalizing representation in Smash Bros. Or if its too late.

Top Bottom