• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom PT Sales Update (Definitive Edition listed!!!)

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Hey all, its been a while. Capcom has dropped their fiscal update, and I was feeling nostalgic enough to swing by for a update.
Now to the main event:
DmC Definitive Edition has finally hit the list, with 1.1 Million Units sold!

Additionally, the Regular edition gets a 100k bump in sales! (2.4 to 2.5 Million). Collectively, this totals DmC sales to 3.6 Million!!!

berto

I Saw the Devil
What does that mean for the franchise, in general? 21 mill across 33 releases, according to Capcom. That's 11 mill less than GoW.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Good list. At least RE is selling well, though their on-off commitment to transparency does fiddle the numbers a little bit. RE7 is "the best selling" in the series but it looks like they got there by combining the Regular and Gold Editions, but RE5 has its three different versions, (Vanilla, Gold Edition, Gen 8) counted separately, which doesn't take into account RE4 having a Skyrim-tier number of ports to different systems, plus whoever keeps buying RE6. So it's more like,

RE5 - 11.8 mil
RE6 - 9.5 mil
RE4 - 9.2 mil
RE7 - 7.9 mil
RE2 Remake - 7.2 mil

RE3 Remake sold less than that, and well-deserved for being a downgrade. Should have been DLC to the RE2 Remake to begin with instead of forcing the $60 price point by attaching REsistance.

--

With DMC, counting each vanilla title's lifetime sales and re-releases we got,

Devil May Cry 4 + SE - 4.5 million
Devil May Cry 5 - 3.7 million
DmC + DE - 3.6 million
DMC 3 + SE + HD - 3.6 million
DMC 1 + HD - 3.46 million
DMC 2 + HD - 3 million

Not counting the Switch port for 3. So yeah, that's skirting close to 22 million units according to their own financials (they've rounded up because the math puts it at 21.86), and God of War approached that number 8 years ago with 7 titles (5 installments, 2 "Collection" titles) (21.65mil).

DMC has always been rather niche, but I honestly hope they're content with their achievements and don't pull a Kobayashi with, "we wanted to market the game to girls, and take away the things girls don't like, like blood and gore and things like that". MHW, Megaman, and RE are their best sellers, so they can crank those out and try fishing for other IPs like Darkstalkers and Dead Rising. Something something Street Fighter, something something Dragon's Dogma.

I'd be down for a DmC 2 though. >_> Let's keep "Yamato cutting open portals", "Vergil using Doppelganger", and "Vergil having a massive and blatant inferiority complex" where it belongs.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd be interested in a potential DmC2 but I'd be more skeptical if NT wasn't involved. DmC is their vision and unfortunately their baggage so i rather they deal with instead of forcing someone else to.

If someone else wanted to do a western take on DMC, I'd just let them do their own thing instead.

Unless they actually want to work on DmC then that's a different story.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
We know NT can make good, focused games (see: Hellblade series) but now that they belong to Microsoft, they're going to get Game Pass funding money and they retain full creative independence, so we're likely to get more Hellblade-like games or whatever NT comes out with. Capcom lost their chance to get a good development team under them, but considering what happened to Clover Studios way back when and how they've mismanaged some IPs, it's.... ehhhhhhhh. This might come down to whether Capcom comes to any agreement with Microsoft to get the game done, like what Sony+Disney had going on with Spider-Man.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm cool with another reboot/reimagining or a spinoff with a different/new character instead of a potential DmC2.

berto

I Saw the Devil
RE6 - 9.5 mil
You're kidding. Pretty popular for such a hated game. Don't get me wrong, I own like 4 copies but it's gets so much hate I wouldn't think it was doing this well.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I didn't even know it was hated that much to even consider it a title that wouldn't sell well. Didn't people hate RE5 too? I was under the impression people liked 6 returning to "actual zombies" on Leon's campaign but just hated individual characters. (Ada, Jake, Chris's amnesia....)
But yeah, the Gen7 version sold 7.6mil, and the Gen8 version is.... my bad, the total is a miscount. The Gen8 version sold 2.2mil units. So it's total of 9.8mil sold, not 9.5.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Jake was my favorite character in Re6. So i don't mind if he gets an action focused spinoff or pops up in DMC6.

I'm not picky....;).

PS. Capcom should just merge DMC x Darkstalkers. Dante's a demon hunter, they are all demons of varying degrees of morality. Trust me, it will write itself.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Jake... pops up in DMC6.
I'm not picky....;).
No kidding. That'd be too much of that archetype for me, though. As it is I want slap Nero and Jake upside the head when they're being tw**s, put them together and innocent people might get hurt. I'd buy the game just to watch them die.

I didn't even know it was hated that much
Quite a bit. YouTube it or try posting about it in general communities and you'll get the few who love it but the overall response will be pretty heated against.

Didn't people hate RE5 too?
THat's more complicated. People seem to really like it... now, but before there was a big move against it because Chris is white and he's shooting the natives in Africa. Personally, I've never liked it but that's neither here nor there.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto I'm cool with getting rid of Nero and replacing him with Jake. But that felt too mean spirited. I'd settle for a Jake spinoff set in the DMC world. Just show me how Edonia dealt with Urizen's invasion or something. I'm not too fussy who Jake runs into from the DMC cast.

PS- if i had to pick, i wouldn't mind beryl or lucia.

PS.- please read my post with a tongue in cheek tone. This is a less serious option- I'm just bored.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
That's more complicated. People seem to really like it... now, but before there was a big move against it because Chris is white and he's shooting the natives in Africa. Personally, I've never liked it but that's neither here nor there.

Well, reading that just awakened a bunch of memories I hadn't realized I repressed. Seeing the promotional things leading up to the game and then the game itself was really something!

RE5 Trailer 1: Here's a normal-looking Chris encountering zombies.
Me: Cool! A new RE game!

RE5 Trailer 2: Chris is shooting people in Africa.
Me: Ah, it's not much different than Leon going to Spain and shooting Spaniards with their Token Spanish Dialogue with a Shamelessly Lazy Gringo Accent. At least they might have actual African people voicing the dialogue for obviously African citizens?

RE5 Trailer 3: The camera pans over some people in their village and Chris says something like "There's no humanity here".
Me: That's... a poor choice of words.

RE5 Trailer 4: Hey, some of these African zombies Chris shoots are tribal spearchuckers with war paint and everything.
Me: They're just outliers. There's plenty of modern-dressed zombies in these trailers. This is easily commentary on Umbrella-type corporations taking advantage of "out of the way" locations, "poor countries" that the West doesn't care about, and people they deem as not having feasible communications with the outside world or support networks. That's happened plenty of times in history. It's even happened in America. I'm cool with it. Not it happening, but it being mentioned in fiction.

RE5: Actually, these tribal spearchuckers were from the perfectly modern cities in Africa, but being infected with the new virus made them revert into their "primal ways" that they hadn't practiced in centuries. It's in one of the findable case files!
Me: ..................... At least Wesker is part of this game, right? He's in the marketing now and shizz. And that Totally-Not-Jill bird lady.
RE5: Yeah, but Wesker becomes a tentacle monster, fuels some sick Rule 34 art, and eats some rockets for dinner. And Jill is blonde now.
Me: ............... Anyway. How 'bout that boulder punchin'. LOL roid rage Chris.

Overall it was a Meh experience for me, but at least other people found more appreciation with it the more they hated every other modern installment. 5 came out and people appreciated 4, 6 came out and people appreciated 5, 7 came out and people leapt back to 6-5-4 and the #NotMyChris hashtag got popular, now 8 is coming and.... we'll see. :laugh:

Top Bottom