• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom: “We Were Surprised At The Reaction DmC Received”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
It’s been nearly six months since Capcom revealed the next entry to the Devil May Cry franchise. Even though DmC has left some fans of the series ( including this one ) with a bad taste in their mouths, Capcom remains confident that “a few sheepish people” will sing a different tune once more information about the game is shared.

Responding to the concerns of several members of the Capcom Europe official message boards, a company representative recently reassured fans that DmC will be “one of the greatest Devil May Cry titles ever created.”

As for concerns over NT development skills please don’t worry. Capcom are heavily involved in the development of all it’s IP being worked upon by outside parties. The exact same concerns were raised over Dead Rising 2 being made by Blue Castle games, which were totally ill founded, on what was an excellent game that ‘got’ everything that made the first game so amazing.
…..we haven’t handed over the family silver to some strangers we are working with Ninja Theory on this together. We believe that by going down this route we can breath new life into the franchise and make a game that sits above DMC3 for this generation.

In response to someone who stated that Capcom expected the negative backlash….

We were surprised at the reaction its received, we’d hope that some fans might have gone to more depth to look a bit closer at things in the trailer (a few have done).

And regarding whether or not DmC will be as good as previous entries…

Lets be honest they were great games (averaging in the low 80′s on metacritic) but not perfect. We’re now aiming to make the perfect DMC game that gets 90′s.

The Capcom rep declined to say when gamers will get a chance to see more of DmC but did reiterate that they “ultimately aim to work with Ninja Theory to create the greatest DMC that’s ever been made.”

Read more here

Source: http://thesilentchief.com/2011/03/06/capcom-we-were-surprised-at-the-reaction-dmc-received/

Judging from what I played in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Heavenly Sword, I highly doubt that Ninja Theory can make this game much better than previous DMC games, unless Capcom itself the one who is making the gameplay for the game.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Rep for posting it here ^_^

I haven't played Enslaved yet. I want to, but I don't want to spend my bucks on that and then not have the funds to buy DmC. And that's all I'll say on the topic. :lol:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I've played the demo for Enslaved and thought that the advertising made the game look better than how it actually was.

Capcom should make their minds up, either they were surprised at fans reactions, or they were'nt. (9/10 times reading UK magazines, they were'nt, so either way, pinocchio noses for them methinks.)

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
ITT: Lies.

You mean to tell me that Capcom didn't expect this sort of backlash after so drastically changing the looks and feel of not only the setting of the game, but also the main character/one of the most iconic characters of this generation?

Having played Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, I can honestly say that on the basis of NT's track record alone, I'm not expecting the new DmC to be as good as Capcom think it's gonna be.

This just smacks of Capcom saying "Don't be meeeeaaaaaan! ;_;"

Klawed Flaw

Fallout Nut
Who knew. Capcom has this economic mental disorder called Borderline Confusing Depressive Dollar. I'm more surprised they made a game based on the Street Fighter movie than I am by this. At least they won't be making a DMC game called Devil May Cry the Movie the Game. ...We're screwed now. Get the teddy bear supply restocked.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I won't be needing a teddy bear... SICK BAGS PLEASE!!! And a couple of knitting needles to gouge my eyes out with.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I actually thought Dead Rising 2 was quite bad compared to Dead Rising 1. It most certainly wasn't a better game imo. So that doesn't fill me with much confidence.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I think the backlash was totally expected... CAPCOM claimed they wanted Dante 'drastically' changed and they would have known perfectly well it would get the fans talking one way or another - if the strong/mixed response to the introduction of Nero in DMC4 was anything to go by.

After all, no such thing as 'bad' publicity. Even an angry reaction or a rant is giving it your attention, and generating yet more interest in it. From CAPCOM's POV, everyone up in arms about it is better than nobody talking about it at all!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Vergil'sBitch;302134 said:
Capcom should make their minds up, either they were surprised at fans reactions, or they were'nt. (9/10 times reading UK magazines, they were'nt, so either way, pinocchio noses for them methinks.)

This^^^

In a interview not to long ago Capcom stated that they fully expected that this new direction would be met with negative backlash and push forward with that in mind since this is a origin story.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Interesting thanks for posting CM.

I've never played a game made by Ninja Theroy and I dunno what to think about what Capcom are saying. I think they are sh!tting themselves, as yes, they probably expected people to go mental when they released that trailer, but maybe the hate has gone too far? So they are trying to calm people down - it's game sales that matters to them, not the colour of Dante's hair! :lol:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Maybe they are worried about the reaction not so much to Dante, but to NT as developers. If it harms sales of the game, because people think NT will make a dog's ear of it, then they should rightly be worried.

Personally I can't for the life of me figure why they gave Devil May Cry to Ninja Theory. It's a small relatively obscure Britsh studio whose games haven't blown sales records to the moon. If part of the plan is to increase DMC's sales, NT might have been the wrong people to hand the franchise to. They may be "good with stories" but it's a fact I've heard and read complaints about the controls systems in their games, and other flaws. Devil May Cry needs good controls to be an enjoyable experience.

Maybe the lead NT designer's uncanny resemblance to DINO angered fans as well.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
This just seems to make me think Capcom is like "Why don't you like it? ;_;" It's just... Stupid. Sure I honestly like the new design, but the way they're going about it just makes me kind of angry. Can't the guys at Capcom think of anything better to do than f*ck with us?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Reminds me of this rant I saw recently about the supposed DMC movie; the guy was basically saying "we are fans, but we care about what you do with the characters we love." Which I agree with. But games companies seem to think everything they do is for the good of the fans, and the fans will automatically just LOVE it when they make changes. Because they know best, I suppose, what we want? Or maybe because they expect we will lap up everything they feed us?

It's their IP - I know that. But what made it successful IP in the first place is the adoration of the fans. You have to take into account what fans are going to think, and not act all shocked when you turn their favourite character inside out and upside down.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Hey, rumor has it the DMC isn't the only game they're handing over. It seems they're doing the same with Resident Evil. (Apparently its something to do with a new shooter they're planning).

NT isn't really a company i would've chosen, but from what i've read in magazines, Capcom doesn't really care about their franchises or they employers.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
MY opinion...

If it's a reboot, which I think it is, I'll like it

If it's a DMC 3 prequel...I will HATE IT TO DEATH

Now...from what I've gathered, and heard from various people and such...it's a reboot.

Don't get me wrong, it does look neat...it's just not DMC...and if it remains not DMC, it will be in my good graces.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
This is just another poor attempt at damage control. look, just show us the damn game already.
other than that, i think the reason why they chose ninja theory was that they were more up and coming and unfortunately easier to bully. If they approached Rockstar or Naughty Dog who do the same but are better and did more to advance western gaming, they would have had to play ball to a certain degree and relinquish some control. especially since they dont need to DMC because they could break into dmc's territory their own way.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
An Update yes.

Hopfully we get some more information on what the storyline is actually going to be in this game.

We know its a "origin story" but thats about it.

Also a small gameplay video would be nice to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom